• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I attended a point shooting class put on by my good friend "curlee" at the Roanoke PD range 5 years ago. By the end of the day, we were all getting solid hits on targets in excess of 25 yards using point shooting techniques.

Point shooting skills are an important tool in the tool kit, but every time I have pointed a firearm at a person for real, that front sight was very clearly in focus.

In fact, the last person that I took at gunpoint was informed that I had already decided where the bullet was going to enter his body if he did not comply immediately with what I wanted him to do.

I encourage you to practice point shooting and pointed shooting until, and beyond the point, where you are totally confidant in your ability to get hits on target under all lighting and environmental conditions.

Shooting in practice should be fun....

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am happy for you, keep doing what you are doing if it works for you.

That speedrock bull **** may work on targets but is a failure during force on force. I was forced to teach that when I started in the firearms unit for my PD. Why the hell would you put the pistol on the outside of your silhouette and expect to get COM shots on the target. You were taught to do an open hand strike with your weak hand while your strong hand drew the gun. I changed thing but setting up two targets. The first one you would panic push, before side stepping left and engaging the target using default targeting. They usually went over the right shoulder. It also encouraged the shooter to stand flat footed and fixate on the gun instead of movement.

Also trying to figure out the need for a laser at contact distance. Just something else to bolt onto the gun instead of spending money on some training, blue gun, airsoft, and more live ammo.- George

Hold on. Apparently "speed rock" is similar, if not identical, to what I was taught at some CQC training. But our training focused on getting us to MOVE while doing point shooting from the hip at first, then as we move away, start bringing the weapon in line with the eyes.

Here's a sample from that training class, featuring our own lawrra shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLfyeC2UsU

Comments? I'd like to know what other aspects I should consider.

Here is a video

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This looks like playing a game. It is good training, but not real. It is valid tool in the toolbox.

In real life, you will be flanked by one or more of the bad guys because they are not wooden posts stuck in the ground. Again, there is no reason not to play this game, but until you become engaged in a real, dynamic situation, you have no clue how quick things happen.

I know you guys won't believe it, but your verbal and visual skills are just as important as your firearms skills. Your skills at recognizing that you are being targeted are even more important. Finding even minmal cover is good too....

Stopping the threat in front of you is pretty much irrelevant if you didn't see the guy behind you with the baseball bat.

JMHO, what do I know?

Top Bottom