• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The arrests were pretty minor. I was actually bored Fri/Sat nights working. There was just not much going on. I was under the impression that fewer people are hanging around on the streets this year.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The arrests were pretty minor. I was actually bored Fri/Sat nights working. There was just not much going on. I was under the impression that fewer people are hanging around on the streets this year.

A lot fewer. There were fewer people on monument circle last night than there were last Saturday and I'd bet fewer than will be on next Saturday.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    T I was actually bored Fri/Sat nights working. There was just not much going on. I was under the impression that fewer people are hanging around on the streets this year.
    Not to be a chump, but that's a good thing. Anytime there are only minor problems in a confined area with lots of people is a good thing.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I was on Washington St. both nights. Slow and boring. I was amazed and felt sorry for quite a few out of town visitors who had no idea what was going on downtown. I guess there were also acouple small conventions.

Last edited:

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Not to be a chump, but that's a good thing. Anytime there are only minor problems in a confined area with lots of people is a good thing.

With details like the expo boring is a good thing. Still boring but better than the alternative.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I was near Illinois and Market until about 10:00 P.M. Friday.

I admit, being parked in a dark alley, I was somewhat nervous
    about going to my vehicle empty handed, and wasted little time.

Once I rolled out, boy was I impressed with the Police presence.
    I have never seen so many men and women dressed in blue.

Good Job to all of those that overlooked the City's event.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I work nights downtown and this was my 5th or so Expo.

I have no idea why, but this was the SLOWEST/QUIETEST/LAMEST Expo ever! Normally it's difficult just to walk around on the sidewalks, but this week it was actually less busy (foot traffic wise) than a normal summer Saturday night.

Anyone have any idea why the crowd dipped so much this year?

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I work nights downtown and this was my 5th or so Expo.

I have no idea why, but this was the SLOWEST/QUIETEST/LAMEST Expo ever! Normally it's difficult just to walk around on the sidewalks, but this week it was actually less busy (foot traffic wise) than a normal summer Saturday night.

Anyone have any idea why the crowd dipped so much this year?

Frankly, given the media coverage of the police presence that would be there, I suspect it's because many realized they weren't going to be able to go downtown and cause trouble during expo w/o a realistic chance that they'd go to jail.

I'm very much involved in my work with the conventions that come to the ICC/LOS. Black Expo has more arrests than all other conventions throughout the year combined. It's not a racist or black vs. white thing. It's just simple numbers. They aren't biased and don't take sides. The data is what it is.

I'm glad the unprecedented police presence this year kept the violence down but I have to wonder at what cost. LEO's aren't there for free. Businesses that closed to avoid the problems didn't generate a dime of tax revenue and didn't pay employees. When you fairly add up the money coming in from this event to the city, and then subtract the overall cost to the city for it being here, you can't help but wonder if it is worth it.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I heard rumors of some nasty letter mailing tactics to keep people from downtown - but I have seen no credible evidence or reports to back that up.

The police were definitely out in force this year, but it wasn't like they were invisible by any means in years past either! I'm really thinking something else is also playing a factor. Perhaps the Expo staffs efforts themselves played a large role as well (i.e. the minister telling gang members to stay away).

Either way, I'm both surprised and thankful. I walked past the corner on Meridian/Georgia street literally 3 minutes before the drive by shooting 2 years ago that struck 9 people (I think it was 9 anyways). I was also across the street from the shooting on Illinois and Washington last year. Basically, I've been lucky to have escaped some of the violence in the past. So whatever was done to mitigate this, I sure hope they keep doing it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Frankly, given the media coverage of the police presence that would be there, I suspect it's because many realized they weren't going to be able to go downtown and cause trouble during expo w/o a realistic chance that they'd go to jail.

I'm very much involved in my work with the conventions that come to the ICC/LOS. Black Expo has more arrests than all other conventions throughout the year combined. It's not a racist or black vs. white thing. It's just simple numbers. They aren't biased and don't take sides. The data is what it is.

I'm glad the unprecedented police presence this year kept the violence down but I have to wonder at what cost. LEO's aren't there for free. Businesses that closed to avoid the problems didn't generate a dime of tax revenue and didn't pay employees. When you fairly add up the money coming in from this event to the city, and then subtract the overall cost to the city for it being here, you can't help but wonder if it is worth it.

Can't speak for other agencies but all IMPD officers had their regular days off canceled and were required to work and trade out the hours for a different day off. In other words, no or very little overtime.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good for everyone involved in keeping the peace downtown. The cops did a good job and so did the community based groups that came out in force to help out. Looks like they all did a good job and set a standard for future events.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good for everyone involved in keeping the peace downtown. The cops did a good job and so did the community based groups that came out in force to help out. Looks like they all did a good job and set a standard for future events.
    To be quite honest it could not have been so quite WITHOUT the community's help.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was pretty impressed with the way the police handled IBE this year.

I was near Illinois and Market until about 10:00 P.M. Friday.

I admit, being parked in a dark alley, I was somewhat nervous
    about going to my vehicle empty handed, and wasted little time.

Once I rolled out, boy was I impressed with the Police presence.
    I have never seen so many men and women dressed in blue.

Good Job to all of those that overlooked the City's event.
    What about the FFA conventions?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The Education Summit and Elected Officials Breakfast were outstanding, this year. The concerts, celebrity basketball game, exhibit hall, etc., were very much above par.

I cannot say enough for the officers and community workers who were in the Convention Center and on the streets. If there was ONE officer who acted like he/she didn't want to be there, I didn't notice. They were all friendly and handled things very discretely. Thanks to the LE community and volunteers!

I'm fine with foot traffic being minimal on the street. The events are indoors and I have NEVER heard of an arrest taking place inside among the people who are there to take in the true experience of the Expo.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Curfew violations?? What kind of curfew is there?

Indiana juvenile curfew is 15 years and under 11:00P any night of the week. 16 and 17 is 11:00P weekdays and 1:00A weekends (Fri &Sat) It does not matter if school is out for summer break as some parents think. There are a few exceptions like to and from work,church functions ect.

Keep tight control of curfew violations and many of your petty type crimes will go away.

Top Bottom