• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Full disclosure: I have never been to the Expo. The following general thoughts came to mind as I was reading the posts in this thread.

...But the(y) did find a gun in a car.

This, in and of itself, is not noteworthy, or shouldn't be, IMHO. I'd like to see lots more cars with guns in them, legally, of course, but preferably, the guns should be kept on the person of their lawful owner. :twocents:

I heard rumors of some nasty letter mailing tactics to keep people from downtown - but I have seen no credible evidence or reports to back that up.

The police were definitely out in force this year, but it wasn't like they were invisible by any means in years past either! I'm really thinking something else is also playing a factor. Perhaps the Expo staffs efforts themselves played a large role as well (i.e. the minister telling gang members to stay away).

Either way, I'm both surprised and thankful. I walked past the corner on Meridian/Georgia street literally 3 minutes before the drive by shooting 2 years ago that struck 9 people (I think it was 9 anyways). I was also across the street from the shooting on Illinois and Washington last year. Basically, I've been lucky to have escaped some of the violence in the past. So whatever was done to mitigate this, I sure hope they keep doing it.

With respect, I doubt a minister telling gang members to stay away would have that effect; in fact, I would expect quite the reverse.
    As long as the cause of the quiet was not "more cops", I think it should be found and utilized in the future, not because I'm against police officers (I think it's obvious I'm not) but because the very presence of agents of government on every corner and in between some/many corners is a use of force and is inimical to liberty. I'm truly hopeful that someone found a way to get through to those who would otherwise have caused trouble and persuaded them not to do so.

Can't speak for other agencies but all IMPD officers had their regular days off canceled and were required to work and trade out the hours for a different day off. In other words, no or very little overtime.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this will mean reduced police presence at other times, yes? I realize it's about prioritizing and the presence of all of those people in uniform probably did have a good effect on the undesirable activity, but I have to wonder, if your normal shift is, say, 50 guys (and yes, I'm using a random, arbitrary number) and you can get by the week after Expo with, say, 25... Why cannot you get by with 25 any other non-event week?

Indiana juvenile curfew is 15 years and under 11:00P any night of the week. 16 and 17 is 11:00P weekdays and 1:00A weekends (Fri &Sat) It does not matter if school is out for summer break as some parents think. There are a few exceptions like to and from work,church functions ect.

Keep tight control of curfew violations and many of your petty type crimes will go away.

Again, with respect, why is this a governmental thing to enforce or "control", rather than a parental thing? I'd agree with the parents being held accountable for their children's misdeeds and giving them an incentive to BE parents... conversely, I also know that "nothing good ever happens after midnight", too. (It's a saying, not necessarily my personal belief.)

I just take issue with the idea of governmental control of free citizens and consider this to possibly be the camel's nose under the tent (no matter how long said curfew has been in place.)

In closing, I do applaud the work done by LEOs. It's not the fault of the officers that they were told "You WILL be there" but as Que mentioned, their own attitudes (that not a one appeared to not want to be there) are certainly commendable.
    Right up along with them, I'd also like to applaud the community (as Denny said), without whom this would not have been as crime-free an event. It's a partnership, to be sure, and it's good to see both sides of that partnership working together.

:+1: to all who were out there.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, what was the "incident" at Kilroy's?

My paralegal was helping his brother move to a new apartment. After moving they had dinner and walked to Kilroy's. Kilroy's was closed with bunches of cops around, the bouncer reported "an incident" but said nothing else.

The guys turned around and went back to my paralegal's brother's apartment on the canal for the night.

What happened?:dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So, what was the "incident" at Kilroy's?

My paralegal was helping his brother move to a new apartment. After moving they had dinner and walked to Kilroy's. Kilroy's was closed with bunches of cops around, the bouncer reported "an incident" but said nothing else.

The guys turned around and went back to my paralegal's brother's apartment on the canal for the night.

What happened?:dunno:

I didn't hear about said "incident", but I can ask around.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    57791585.gif

Boring.gif

Jeez Frank and Denny, get out there and stir some :poop: up already!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this will mean reduced police presence at other times, yes? I realize it's about prioritizing and the presence of all of those people in uniform probably did have a good effect on the undesirable activity, but I have to wonder, if your normal shift is, say, 50 guys (and yes, I'm using a random, arbitrary number) and you can get by the week after Expo with, say, 25... Why cannot you get by with 25 any other non-event week?

Blessings,
    Bill

I guess it depends on your definition of "getting by".

You are partially correct, it may reduce presence at other times during the month (our pay periods are four weeks and you have to trade a day off within that pay period) but those other times aren't during Expo and if something bad happens as a result of the reduced police presence, it won't make it to the news. What makes it to the news is really the only thing that matters.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Franks, thanks much.

My guy and his brother (former employee of mine) are good "kids" and did not want trouble so they didn't ask a lot of questions but beat feet back home (beer in the fridge).

Being from Chalmers, your Big City ways overwhelms them at times.:D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Indiana juvenile curfew is 15 years and under 11:00P any night of the week. 16 and 17 is 11:00P weekdays and 1:00A weekends (Fri &Sat) It does not matter if school is out for summer break as some parents think. There are a few exceptions like to and from work,church functions ect.

Keep tight control of curfew violations and many of your petty type crimes will go away.

From a quick reading of the IC regarding curfew, if the kid has half a clue, it's pretty much unenforceable. You have to have reasonable belief there is no legal defense to detain or take into custody. Without being able to detain, how can you determine if their is a legal defense?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this will mean reduced police presence at other times, yes? I realize it's about prioritizing and the presence of all of those people in uniform probably did have a good effect on the undesirable activity, but I have to wonder, if your normal shift is, say, 50 guys (and yes, I'm using a random, arbitrary number) and you can get by the week after Expo with, say, 25... Why cannot you get by with 25 any other non-event week? .

Blessings,
    Bill

Easy, all the punks are worn out from the week and need recovery time. :):

I didn't hear about said "incident", but I can ask around.

Sure you haven't, we believe you.
    nothing_to_see_here.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess it depends on your definition of "getting by".

You are partially correct, it may reduce presence at other times during the month (our pay periods are four weeks and you have to trade a day off within that pay period) but those other times aren't during Expo and if something bad happens as a result of the reduced police presence, it won't make it to the news. What makes it to the news is really the only thing that matters.

What is the most unacceptable thing about this whole fiasco (and the other related fiascos) is that your dept. "leadership" would have an attitude like that. Never mind actual public safety, we just have to make sure that the news reports that the public is safe, facts be da**ed.

Once again, thanks to all of you who do the actual job and DO care about the public you serve.

God bless you all.

Bill

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    I worked downtown for about 6 years during Black Expo. Besides the locals i found that every one I came in contact with were very nice, good people. But on fri and sat nights it always seemed to get a little crazy. I thing the real test will be the classic. If i remember correctly it was the classic that brought shootings inside the convention center last year or the one before.

Either way +1 to IMPD for their presence and keeping our downtown safe for the thousands of guests for all our events.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Franks, thanks much.

My guy and his brother (former employee of mine) are good "kids" and did not want trouble so they didn't ask a lot of questions but beat feet back home (beer in the fridge).

Being from Chalmers, your Big City ways overwhelms them at times.:D

What day was it? I looked up the address in our CAD and in the report system and couldn't find any incidents.

I contacted the Downtown district control operator and they found a fight run at about 3am on 07/15. Thats the only "incident" from the weekend near Kilroy's.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I worked downtown for about 6 years during Black Expo. Besides the locals i found that every one I came in contact with were very nice, good people. But on fri and sat nights it always seemed to get a little crazy. I thing the real test will be the classic. If i remember correctly it was the classic that brought shootings inside the convention center last year or the one before.

Either way +1 to IMPD for their presence and keeping our downtown safe for the thousands of guests for all our events.

I've never heard of a shooting at the Classic and would like to see a link if you have one. Many would take your recollection as factual, so if you could find anything, I'd appreciate it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've never heard of a shooting at the Classic and would like to see a link if you have one. Many would take your recollection as factual, so if you could find anything, I'd appreciate it.

I can't remember if it was Expo or Classic but in '07 (I think) a juvenile female ran down Maryland St toward the IMPD command post while emptying a 5-shot .38 into the air. There was a juvenile shot in the leg in the park-like area north of the convention center on Maryland St either last year or 2 years ago, but again I don't remember if it was Expo or Classic.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I can't remember if it was Expo or Classic but in '07 (I think) a juvenile female ran down Maryland St toward the IMPD command post while emptying a 5-shot .38 into the air. There was a juvenile shot in the leg in the park-like area north of the convention center on Maryland St either last year or 2 years ago, but again I don't remember if it was Expo or Classic.

I'm always in the event when the stupid people come out. I don't recall what happened in 2007, so I can't say either way. I do know that me and my family had an incredible time in 2011 and salute those that made it happen.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What day was it? I looked up the address in our CAD and in the report system and couldn't find any incidents.

We didn't work Saturday as I had the RSO class in Fishers so it must have been Saturday night.

Nothing at Kilroy's, huh? Would there be anything in the CAD call if the victim declined medical?

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    We didn't work Saturday as I had the RSO class in Fishers so it must have been Saturday night.

Nothing at Kilroy's, huh? Would there be anything in the CAD call if the victim declined medical?

Yes, the CAD contains every dispatched run and markout. Sometimes there's trouble finding a run depending on how the location was typed into the computer. Unless nobody marked out on the incident. That's also a possibility.

Top Bottom