Police Owe No Duty To Defend Citizens...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Police have no duty to protect you" sounds worse and scarier than "police cannot be held financially liable for not successfully saving you from the criminal actions of others". It is not within their power to guarantee a positive outcome in all cases, or prevent all crime from happening in the first place. If you actually think about it for more than 5 seconds, such legal obligation and liability would make policing impossible.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You should do a ride-along and see what police work really entails instead of blindly believing everything you read about. But you are probably one of the many that likes to post crap like that and are too scared to take a tour through the ghetto with an officer.

There is a ghetto in Indianapolis?......

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    No, no, no, this is not intended to be about police at all. It is about the need to plan to defend yourself and not count on help that may never arrive. And lastly, you will find no posts from me that are negative about police, I believe it a very tough, often thankless job and am grateful to all who serve.

The he intent here was the law and court decisions...
    Perhaps you should have explained that in your post instead of just posting the "facts" of the case. The way you posted it makes it sound like no police officers have ever done anything to protect the life of an individual or a group of individuals because they were not legally bound to do so. I could list numerous examples, including some by members of this board.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    At the end of the day your life is your responsibility. Part of the problem in society is sitting around waiting for everyone else to fix it, then pointing the finger when something doesn’t go right. What happened to the old saying “if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself”? Most LEO want to protect everyone they can, and I couldn’t imagine the heart break they feel when they are unable to do so. It takes a special person to do those jobs. I can not do it. They are constantly under a microscope being judged by the public, their supervisors, peers, and lawyers. There aren’t enough police to be everywhere at once. If this lady has had a problem with her ex husband in the past, she should have taken measures to prevent this. Maybe take a gun class, restraining order, dog, something.

Ark "Police have no duty to protect you" sounds worse and scarier than "police cannot be held financially liable for not successfully saving you from the criminal actions of others".
    It is not within their power to guarantee a positive outcome in all cases, or prevent all crime from happening in the first place.
    If you actually think about it for more than 5 seconds, such legal obligation and liability would make policing impossible.

According to the law, the individual is personally responsible for his/her own safety and the defense of one's home / loved ones.
    Law Enforcement is a response-based organization who are not in the 'preventative' business...and when bad stuff happens, the police are just minutes away (or hours, depending on the day!)
    Each individual has a responsibility to defend / protect themselves against attack...or have the developed ability to repeal the attack and survive!
    Law Enforcement cannot be everywhere and not every 'battle' is worth it...only defend what you love!
    Here is a 14 year old SCOTUS response to the issue: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    LOL. It makes no difference to me what its called, I've just never equated anywhere inside the Indy beltway to the ghettos of Detroit, Gary, Baltimore and the now gentrified Wash DC.

Good point...Indy comes in at #10 of the most violent cities, Baltimore and Detroit were a little higher on the list.

#10....great.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If we're in the top 10, do we qualify for the post-season with an automatic berth, or is there a one game play-in?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good point...Indy comes in at #10 of the most violent cities, Baltimore and Detroit were a little higher on the list.

#10....great.

How are the statistics applied to this ranking? Violent crimes per capita? Total number of violent crimes? What do they consider a violent crime? Fatality? Bodily harm?

I don't get to Indy much but being number 10 seems pretty high up the chart for me.

But then again, most of my "news" comes from here. And a little on google. I don't read newspapers or watch news on the TV.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If we're in the top 10, do we qualify for the post-season with an automatic berth, or is there a one game play-in?

The problem is that as the cold weather comes, the violent crime drops. The first half of the season was impressive, but it will take a real commitment to sustain that record.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The problem is that as the cold weather comes, the violent crime drops. The first half of the season was impressive, but it will take a real. Commitment to sustain that record.

That's where coaching really makes a difference, and I just don't think Indy has the same kind of pedigree as those other places. Not enough hardened leaders to really push through the tough times.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Perhaps you should have explained that in your post instead of just posting the "facts" of the case. The way you posted it makes it sound like no police officers have ever done anything to protect the life of an individual or a group of individuals because they were not legally bound to do so. I could list numerous examples, including some by members of this board.

Or maybe you jumped to conclusions and thought you sniffed out another "anti-cop" thread and had to swoop in and defend your honor lol, like you always do. Nothing to see here, we'll see you again in another eight months or so. It's unfortunate, you used to be a pretty interesting contributor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, so what IS the point of the thread describing law that is as old as English common law? I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Or maybe you jumped to conclusions and thought you sniffed out another "anti-cop" thread and had to swoop in and defend your honor lol, like you always do. Nothing to see here, we'll see you again in another eight months or so. It's unfortunate, you used to be a pretty interesting contributor.

giphy.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom