• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I have never been pulled over, but if I was I would only do what I'm required to do by law. So i'll only tell the officer if he ask. If he does not ask, then I don't say anything.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I would only do what I'm required to do by law. So i'll only tell the officer if he ask....

But you aren't required by law to tell an officer even if they do ask. :dunno:

The right to remain silent wouldn't be much of a right if you were required by law to answer any old question an officer cared to ask.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    But you aren't required by law to tell an officer even if they do ask. :dunno:

The right to remain silent wouldn't be much of a right if you were required by law to answer any old question an officer cared to ask.

What I mean is if they where to ask for the LTCH. sorry.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Truthfully ladies and gentleman seriously think about this for a second. I dont want to **** everyone here off but if any one watches the news you would know that the numbers of officers killed in the line of duty is way up this year. We look for weapons when you are stopped or when out on a call. I completely understand some of you have had bad experiences when notifying LE of your weapon and am very sorry for this. But please keep this in mind, would you rather be polite and give the officer a heads up or not inform and take the chance of him or her seeing it and the simple situation turn south. I have yet to write a ticket or disarm someone who's been completely polite. Also take into consideration the numbers of firearms that are stolen each year. All the officer is doing is making sure your weapon is not a stolen one. Out of all the private sales that go on its very easy that a stolen firearm could make its way into the hand of a honest upstanding citizen. Again I hope no one takes offence to this.. Just something to think about.

Anelson

No offense, but I would like an officer to answer me this one. In most of the cases on INGO of the officer seizing the firearm, they "run the number" to see if it's stolen. What gives you the right to do this? Televisions are stolen all the time too. If I'm pulled over with a flat screen TV in my car, are you going to "run the number" on that too? Why is a firearm any different?

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I hope you feel safer knowing that my position used to be to inform, now, because of what some officers do, I will NEVER inform. So are you safer now that people who would have politely informed will now keep quiet about it? No checks, no disarming, no hassle. Just a lot more guns that you don't know we have.

I agree with this 100%. I've read to many awful stories about officer conduct when it comes to lawful posession of firearms.

Or you can inform and then post your story on INGO and possibly become Legen---wait for it---dary !

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Rookie I actually agree with you. If you dont give the officer a reason to search then your LTCH should be enough. My comment was structured more around being asked about weapons and not advising you have a firearm. I'm not sure on policy but most officers ask if you have weapons in the vehicle in one way or another. As stated above this is personal experience, I've been on the other side with a bad experience myself but I still always let the officer know that I'm carrying a firearm.

LOL...

You would not even get the LTCH from me...
    Unless you asked Politely...
    Ask me if there is anything in the Vehicle you should know about, and my answer will always be No also... ;)

By the way if you are not Polite during the Stop an Attorney will be Notifying your Superiors also...

P.S. You will be being recorded during the Stop also.

Caveat: This only applies as to Indiana and not to the Lesser States... ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Once one sees the muzzle of his own pistols (well, one of the guns I had on me) being pointed back at you by an officer doing his "ape on 2001" impersonation, one will never, ever tell a police officer that he is carrying (if it not obvious).

That said, the few times I have been pulled over while driving (2 ISP, 1 IMPD), no one has fingered the guns, even when the guns were clearly visible. I don't mind showing the LTCH when asked, I very much mind them waving the guns around pointing them at joggers, moms with strollers, traffic or me.

Don't tell unless asked.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    All the officer is doing is making sure your weapon is not a stolen one.

Yeah, great, and the statutory authority for this non-consensual possession of my pistol(s) would be . . . ?

Ask the Indiana State Police and Don's Guns about running serial numbers.:D "You mean the model number is not the serial number?"

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    Not that the In LTCH is valid in OH, but if you are pulled over there you have to tell them you are carrying...just something I learned at the 1500. Not that I get out of IN that much :( (pathetic I know)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Once one sees the muzzle of his own pistols (well, one of the guns I had on me) being pointed back at you by an officer doing his "ape on 2001" impersonation, one will never, ever tell a police officer that he is carrying (if it not obvious).

That said, the few times I have been pulled over while driving (2 ISP, 1 IMPD), no one has fingered the guns, even when the guns were clearly visible. I don't mind showing the LTCH when asked, I very much mind them waving the guns around pointing them at joggers, moms with strollers, traffic or me.

Don't tell unless asked.

Where is the thread on this? I had no idea that happened to you, Kirk.

For me, I've always believed honesty is the best policy.
    But after reading all the past threads, I'll probably keep my mouth shut.

I don't like confrontation ;)

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Truthfully ladies and gentleman seriously think about this for a second. I dont want to **** everyone here off but if any one watches the news you would know that the numbers of officers killed in the line of duty is way up this year. We look for weapons when you are stopped or when out on a call. I completely understand some of you have had bad experiences when notifying LE of your weapon and am very sorry for this. But please keep this in mind, would you rather be polite and give the officer a heads up or not inform and take the chance of him or her seeing it and the simple situation turn south. I have yet to write a ticket or disarm someone who's been completely polite. Also take into consideration the numbers of firearms that are stolen each year. All the officer is doing is making sure your weapon is not a stolen one. Out of all the private sales that go on its very easy that a stolen firearm could make its way into the hand of a honest upstanding citizen. Again I hope no one takes offence to this.. Just something to think about.

Anelson

I am carrying a legal cell phone too that has serial numbers. Are you going to run it too or can you not hide behind officer safety b.s. to justify taking that from me too? Just curious as I do alot of legal things.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I will only inform as a "courtesy" if I have to exit the vehicle for some reason. So far I have never had a case to do so. It I am pulled over for a traffic stop I do not think they would be able to see it so I would not be obliged to inform to reduce their anxiety.

If I am asked about firearms during said traffic stop, I'm not sure how I would respond. I suspect I confirm, but also ask why it is relevant.

As to walking around, if I am carrying open or printing, I'd just show my license and move on. It wouldn't bother me much to be asked, assuming that is all they need is to confirm. If the LEO wants to show his stuff and convince me I'm a fool for carrying, then that is another situation.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    We look for weapons when you are stopped or when out on a call...would you rather be polite and give the officer a heads up or not inform and take the chance of him or her seeing it and the simple situation turn south

There's simply no way an officer would ever accidentally see my firearm(s). If he sees it, I wanted him to (i.e. Open Carry). If it's concealed; it's undetectable.

Also, if I'm pulled over, I have everything he needs to see in my hand ready for him before he reaches the door. He won't have the opportunity to watch me contort my body all around to retrieve the paperwork.

When my gun is concealed it's concealed, from everyone, including cops.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I never voulunter the info. If they ask are you required to give an "honest" answer?

Cops are allowed to lie to citizens, so why shouldn't citizens be allowed to lie to cops? You aren't under oath, so lying to a cop on the street isn't against the law. However, ANYTHING you say WILL be used against you in a court of law (including and especially the truth).

However, I would probably say something along the lines of, "I choose not to answer that question, and I do not consent to a search of my property"

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I've only been stopped a very few times in the past 20 years but on each occasion I gave the LEO my lic, reg, and carry permit and informed that I was carrying a handgun. I've gotten off with a warning every time.

I also treat LEO with due respect, NOt boot licking but strait up and trying to remain pleasant and conversational. After all he is only doing his job.

Top Bottom