• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    That's another reason I NEVER open carry. I believe in "Don'T ask, don"t tell". If he doesn't ask, I don't tell. If he does, I will tell the truth and produce my LTCH but why invite trouble when none exist? I'm not breaking the law by not disclosing if not asked and I'm certainly no threat to the officer. I've only had one (1) interaction with police (IMPD) at the City Market last fall, simply because I had a legal handgun in a public place, some of you were there with me, it wasn't pretty. Never again.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'll open carry and still not inform.

If asked about my gun, I'll still simply ask why I am being detained.

It's not lying to not answer, even if it's obvious.

pforgs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Camden
    About 3 weeks ago I was headed home with my older brother and an ISP officer pulled us over to check for seat belts. When I handed my information over, the LEO pointed out that I had handed him my handgun license then asked if either of us were carrying or had a firearm in the car. We responded no and he said ok then handed the handgun license back to me and took my DL to his car to do his computer stuff. He came back, handed me a warning for speeding in excess of 55, had a friendly conversation about the college I attend, then we went our own ways.

I will admit, when he asked if we had a firearm in the car his voice had caution/alarm to it. I figured I would be upfront with a LEO about it as opposed to have them come back and ask (should it show up on records, which I have no clue if it does).

As many have said already, if they ask I'll be honest, but if they don't I have no intention of mentioning it again.

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'll open carry and still not inform.

If asked about my gun, I'll still simply ask why I am being detained.

It's not lying to not answer, even if it's obvious.

Misdirection is always a useful tool! If you continue to reply to a question with a question(Am I free to go?, Why am I being detained?, etc), then the officer might leave you be but you'll probably garentee you a ticket.

aijk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Eminence
    Every time i have been pulled over while carrying I have told them and every time but 1 it was the same. They took it and ran the numbers and brought it back empty, but i never got a ticket. I had a plainfield cop take my derringer and when he brought it back he handed me the shells ( .410 ) and he made me throw the shells to the back of the van, and give me the gun back with a gun lock in it. But, no ticket. The only time they didn't take it was in monrovia and told him my desert eagle was under the seat, he said good leave it there.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I have informed officers in VA (my home state), and they have glossed right over it--they've thanked me, and I've not gotten tickets, but no one ever made any indication that they cared one way or the other. I've had conversations about guns after informing them, but only after they asked me to slow down and we were having some friendly conversation. I come from a more rural area than where I currently live though, and really, everyone out in the country has guns.

Having said that, I don't know that I would inform Indiana officers, or any officers now because I'm older and maybe a little jaded. I had a ST in Tennessee ask where the gun was, but that was it. I totally understand the danger factor for LEOs, but I don't pose a threat. However, the presence of a firearm automatically escalates a situation, no matter the intent because the LEO doesn't know me: I am a potential threat because I've broken the law. That's a strike. A firearm is a further complication, and the Constitution and a thousand court rulings don't mean anything on the side of the road at 3:00am when I am a dark shape in a car.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    Thanks for all of the great info, i thought you had to inform them when you got pulled over. Now that i know i will keep my mouth shut :)

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I always let the officer know right away and hand them my card. Never has it been an issure though, the officer would just tell me thanks for letting them know and go write me the ticket or warning, whatever it is at that time.

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I was on my motorcycle one time and was pulled over for speeding. Cop asked for my license and registration. Not many places to keep that stuff on a "crotch rocket" beside under the rear seat Of course my gun was in there too. I told the cop and he let me open the seat and there lied my Desert Eagle .50AE. The look on his face was priceless. He said something like what good is your gun back there? I told him I was planning on shooting anyone while riding the bike and felt it was safer there in case I was to lay the bike down rather than it being on my hip. He suprisingly agreed. Now I just stick to a kel-tec 32 or .410 derringer in the pocket when I am on my bike.

Cop fondled the gun for a few looked at my license and registration, never asked for my carry permit, said have a nice day and I rode off.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Funny, I watched a video on Youtube about this, just this morning. It was an officer talking about it, and of course, he said you should always mention it. I think a lot depends on the officers demeanor though. Luckily, I've never been put in that position. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The actual law varies by state. In IN, there's no obligation to inform. In OH, for example, you're required to inform so the officer can then proceed to threaten to execute you on the spot, then go home and sleep like a baby. Check things like this for other states just as you would check whether your LTCH is honored. I tend not to answer questions that aren't asked, I CC so the question shouldn't come up unless I've failed in some way, and my pink thing is in a separate part of my wallet from my CDL. Can't think of any reason I'd be pulled over, though.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Quite a bit to mull. The one time I was pulled over with a weapon in my car was in Texas before they had conceal carry permits. I was travelling and carrying under the impression it was legal due to the distance of my trip (something about temporarily moving a homestead). Humorously, the officer was more interested in what was in the cooler on my front floorboard.

My answer, "Nothing. I was running late this morning and didn't stop to fill it up with Dr. Pepper."

Top Bottom