• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Please don't mix my " Going home safely" with these jackholes. My friends on late shift went home safe this morning after shooting a guy who was trying to kill his ex girlfriend. Our top priority is going home to our family. The caveat being "within the law". We get home safely by following the law and good officer safety. This phrase gets used here like it's a dirty word. It is not.

That post was about the clowns in Santa Ana, unless you were one of the aforementioned there with a mask on, then don't let their unprofessionalism get you riled up or think it reflects on you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Please don't mix my " Going home safely" with these jackholes. My friends on late shift went home safe this morning after shooting a guy who was trying to kill his ex girlfriend. Our top priority is going home to our family. The caveat being "within the law". We get home safely by following the law and good officer safety. This phrase gets used here like it's a dirty word. It is not.

Denny, you're right. The phrase "officer safety" does get used like a dirty word. The old saw is that life imitates art, though (or is it art imitates life?) The point I'm getting at is that it didn't start out that way on INGO, but rather from various chiefs of police and legislators elevating officers of the law to a status above "everyone else", almost to a class of nobility (low pay notwithstanding).

That is not in any way your fault. You didn't do it, but it surely has been done. Think about how many laws out there exist with an exception that exempts LEOs from that law's effects. Think about that "presumption of truth" afforded LEOs in court.

Think about the fact (and I was discussing this with someone yesterday) that it used to be someONE had to have been harmed in some way before police got involved. Today, it seems that if the law itself is "harmed" (violated), that is enough. Example (and possibly not of a historical basis) if I'm speeding down a completely empty road, flat terrain, no upcoming cross streets, etc., what harm am I causing? None. Am I endangering anyone? Not really. So a cop might light me up and :nono: me or come to see what the hurry is, and if he can help me so I don't need to go to excessive speeds to do whatever. Today, though, it seems that on that same empty, flat road, where I can see well any hazards and just am driving fast, if I'm 20mph over the posted limit, not only am I hit with a speeding citation but also a reckless driving and possibly a search, if the officer can wrangle one, just to see what else I can be charged with. All of a sudden, (recent years, I mean) everyone wants to see that gun and "run the numbers" despite there being no indication that it's stolen, let alone RAS or PC to believe that it is.

With that political position taken, is it any wonder people "pfff" at "officer safety" and wonder, "What about MY safety, Mr. Politician? Why is that officer's safety more important than mine?"

Again, yes, that phrase has become a negative thing, but it's the general usage that's done it, IMHO, not INGO folks.

:twocents:

I kinda got out of the habit, but I'm going to bring it back here, closing messages to those I know to be LEOs with "Stay safe out there." (My version of Phil Esterhaus' "Let's be careful out there, huh?")
    Blessings,
    Bill

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A judge has smacked the cops and their union around a bit and ruled that they had no expectation of privacy while they were looting the store. The video evidence can be used against them. Good. They entered the place with nefarious intent, (or they wouldn't have attempted to disable the cameras to cover up their activities) and should face severe repercussions for their actions. Here's hoping the victims get all their property and money back from the raiders.

Judge Says Video Allegedly Showing Cops Eating Marijuana Candy Can Be Used As Evidence

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also a lot of murders in cities are "drug related". One drug dealer knocking off another drug dealer. So basically these cops were the same things only they used granted authority and trust and abused it to rob citizens who were legal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Or ignoring the law............isn't that what "discretion" means??? Getting to choose what laws you want to enforce and when to do it?? Especially if it compromises your "safety"?
    Ignore...I guess. I always think to myself, "What is the RIGHT thing to do in this particular situation based on the totality of the circumstances at hand?" Many times it involves arrest but sometimes no arrest, even with PC, is the correct move. We have discretion on many things but there are lots of laws I cannot ignore, regardless of personal feelings. As far as officer safety is concerned, I'll give an example or two. Chasing a car for a traffic infraction during the winter. I remember it was icy out and we refused to follow him, sure there is some "safety of the public" concerns but at the front of our brains is "officer safety". We chose to "ignore" his infractions AND his felony fleeing for our own safety. Same with a foot chase where you lose sight of them around a corner and you have no back-up, call it a day and "ignore" the crime. No arrest is worth our life.

Top Bottom