• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Must be tough for gun store owners these days if you are leasing the property. Rent and insurance costs have to be very high.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wow, 2 attempted gun-store robberies in just over a day...

Four Seasons in Bloomington was broken into overnight Tuesday night. 19 yo IU student called about a handgun then went and tried to buy it, was told he had to be 21. Came back that night and threw a brick through the window. Owner recognized him on the video, police traced the phone-call to him and a search warrant found the clothes in his apartment. Seems he's a few apples short of a full-load.

Probably not used to being told "NO".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's not IF a gun shop will be rammed with a vehicle - it's WHEN.

This has been happening for 5+ years. One of the above posters has personal experience with this.

Copious steel/concrete bollards around the perimeter are about the only defense against it from a passenger car. If there's a secluded shop, I'd think that a large enough truck could still defeat the bollards.

Even WITH bollards, sometimes chains are still used to rip parts of the building/doors away. That's why USDS has both bollards AND a roll-top steel door cover that hides the doors when the place is closed.

If you are insinuating that there are steps that can be taken to decrease one's chances of a successful crime being committed against you, I'm going to have to tell you to stop blaming the victims.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Elmore's does it every night, I don't think they are very small.

Yep. They don't move everything to a safe, though. They run a steel cable through all the long gun trigger guards and lock things up that way.

I think they've been driven in to at least once. Maybe twice in the 15.5 years I've lived on the south side.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Wow, 2 attempted gun-store robberies in just over a day...

Four Seasons in Bloomington was broken into overnight Tuesday night. 19 yo IU student called about a handgun then went and tried to buy it, was told he had to be 21. Came back that night and threw a brick through the window. Owner recognized him on the video, police traced the phone-call to him and a search warrant found the clothes in his apartment. Seems he's a few apples short of a full-load.

After reading this, I initially thought, "great, once he's convicted, he will be a prohibited person and won't ever be able to buy firearms." Then I realized he was in Monroe County, where, if he even gets charged with a felony, will get a serious deferred prosecution and walk away with no record. Probably.

On the other hand, since it involves attempting to get a gun, maybe the Prosecuting Commissar representing the People's Republic of Monroe County will throw the book at him. Values, you know.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you are insinuating that there are steps that can be taken to decrease one's chances of a successful crime being committed against you, I'm going to have to tell you to stop blaming the victims.

The shop was asking for it, your honor. With it's sexy un-bollarded entrance and unsecured weapons just begging to be stolen!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Yep. They don't move everything to a safe, though. They run a steel cable through all the long gun trigger guards and lock things up that way.

I think they've been driven in to at least once. Maybe twice in the 15.5 years I've lived on the south side.

I can think of twice; the big one, which caused them to start moving the handguns to the safe at night, and a more recent one that wasn't as successful.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Probably not used to being told "NO".

According to the article I read he has a LTCH and was frustrated by the fact that he could get his LTCH at 18 but couldn't buy a gun until 21. Also according to the article Four Seasons told him that it is state law that says he has to be 21, which is incorrect. Maybe if they had properly informed him of the law and the fact that he can buy a handgun via private-party he wouldn't have had to resort to such extreme measures. But then again, why did he need/want a gun so bad it forced him to break-in after they wouldn't sell to him earlier in the day?

Article: IU Sophomore Accused Of Breaking Into Gun Store - WBIW.com / Local

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    According to the article I read he has a LTCH and was frustrated by the fact that he could get his LTCH at 18 but couldn't buy a gun until 21. Also according to the article Four Seasons told him that it is state law that says he has to be 21, which is incorrect. Maybe if they had properly informed him of the law and the fact that he can buy a handgun via private-party he wouldn't have had to resort to such extreme measures. But then again, why did he need/want a gun so bad it forced him to break-in after they wouldn't sell to him earlier in the day?

Article: IU Sophomore Accused Of Breaking Into Gun Store - WBIW.com / Local

Presumably at age 19, and being enrolled in an institute of higher learning, he (1) can read (or maybe he can only read txt spch), and (2) is familiar with the internet and knows how to use a search engine to look up the laws regarding the legal purchase requirements for a handgun. But maybe I am being overly optimistic.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Just to update. The thuglets that attempted to break in this morning at Bradis are still on the loose. They did some damage to the building and some additional security measures have been taken to ensure that you guys can continue shopping. They did NOT get into the building and nothing was actually stolen. I have been dealing with the mess they created since 0430 this morning.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What about enhancing the bollards with claymores? Might cut down on how many perps would need to subsequently be pursued

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Sorry you are having to deal with this mess the idiots made. Glad they didn't get in and no one was hurt. I hate that they haven't been caught because that just means they are looking for there next target.

Top Bottom