• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Appears a 15 year old failed to drop his weapon and was then shot by police. No doubt this is going to be a controversial action, regardless of the details. Tragic from several perspectives.

Police shoot and kill 8th-grader at Texas school

this is WHY teachers should be allowed to carry. How many COULD have been killed (like at Columbine) before cops could arrive?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Should a 15 year old be a 10th grader? I take it he wasn't a star student.

Yes, or at least a 9th grader. My son is 10th grade, but is 16 1/2. Where we lived in Kansas, they urged folks to start their boys in Kindergarten at age 6 (state champs in football, they liked the extra size).

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    this is WHY teachers should be allowed to carry. How many COULD have been killed (like at Columbine) before cops could arrive?
    Do you really think a teacher would have the discipline to shoot a student in the situation as described? Reports so far indicate the kid didn't fire and no one else was injured. If the armed subject had been an adult, would have been an easier decision. The officer involved is going to be second guessed, even by himself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    What goes through kid's heads these days? What in his background would warrant this action? When confronted by the police, why didn't he comply? Obviously his plan was moot whatever it was. Why did the police shoot to kill and not to wound? I wasn't there but these are legitimate questions that an investigation should answer. More info is needed before an nobjective opinion can be rendered.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Do you really think a teacher would have the discipline to shoot a student in the situation as described? Reports so far indicate the kid didn't fire and no one else was injured. If the armed subject had been an adult, would have been an easier decision. The officer involved is going to be second guessed, even by himself.

With all due respect, Pocketman - teachers are CITIZENS. They are no different that any of the rest of us. Properly trained, we are just as equipped to make the arguably tough call that the cop in question had to make. We all just pray that the day never comes when WE have to make that call. And I totally agree with your point that ANYONE will be second guessing that decision forever. Given that, teachers should be ALLOWED to carry - but certainly not REQUIRED....

All of that said - there may be a lot more to this story - let's let it play out - and yeah it's definitely a tragic loss of life.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I wonder when the point "shall not be infringed" was lost to us all? Was it in my lifetime? The 1920's? I'm just curious to know when lawmakers started the long trail of taking gun owners' rights for the good of all men? If BHO get a second, we are all in big trouble cause I'm sure its on his list for right after the elections. I agree, teachers should be allowed to carry. How many school shooters would be disuaded knowing that that mean-assed Geography teacher may be packin?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    just think of the mind job this does to the officer........... He was put in a situation were he had to take a child's life........i don't care how mental tough you are its going to have some impact on you.............

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Granted on the deadly force. That's why I reserved judgment till more facts have been revealed. And yes, it must be horrible for the officer(s) involved. That's why I'm not in law enforcement. Although I faced that exact situation a few times in the sandbox; kids with unknown intentions in a declared hostile zone. thankfully, never had to pull the trigger!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    What goes through kid's heads these days? What in his background would warrant this action? When confronted by the police, why didn't he comply? Obviously his plan was moot whatever it was. Why did the police shoot to kill and not to wound? I wasn't there but these are legitimate questions that an investigation should answer. More info is needed before an nobjective opinion can be rendered.

You've obviously never had a weapon pointed at you. If you had you would understand that shooting to wound is a hollywood thing, not a real life thing. Anyone who points a gun at me will be so full of holes their mama won't recognize them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The sad fact is a 15 year old with a firearm can kill you just as dead as a 25 year old with a firearm can kill you just as dead as a 35 year old with a firearm can....

Really a sad situation and my prayers go out for the officer who did what he had to do. It would have only taken a second for the 15 year old to decide he wanted to take out the officer, and the story would have been much different.

And as stated by SemperFiUSMC and others, being able to shoot the gun out of the hands of a would-be assailant might be an easy shot on TV, but in real life, it is nearly impossible.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    With all due respect, Pocketman - teachers are CITIZENS. They are no different that any of the rest of us. Properly trained, we are just as equipped to make the arguably tough call that the cop in question had to make. We all just pray that the day never comes when WE have to make that call. And I totally agree with your point that ANYONE will be second guessing that decision forever. Given that, teachers should be ALLOWED to carry - but certainly not REQUIRED....

All of that said - there may be a lot more to this story - let's let it play out - and yeah it's definitely a tragic loss of life.
    Hey, I don't have a problem with teachers, or anyone for that matter, carrying. I'm just saying that in a situation such as what we know about this, it would take a lot of discipline to shoot a student. Police are trained, conditioned if you will, to neutralize a danger. "CITIZENS" carry for self defense. If you're a teacher and feel you're qualified to deal with such, you are probably an exception.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes, or at least a 9th grader. My son is 10th grade, but is 16 1/2. Where we lived in Kansas, they urged folks to start their boys in Kindergarten at age 6 (state champs in football, they liked the extra size).
    Yeah I'm pretty sure if I lived where you did I'd move too. That is pathetic a school encourages kids to be a year late for football. I'm a huge football nut but that is crazy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The article didn't say he pointed it at the officers just that he failed to comply with the order to drop it. I'm all for self preservation but how do we know this isn't a story of some National Guard junior Rambo reserve cop getting his "first kill"? With the info provided, we don't! Again, I will reserve judgment till more facts are presented.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Hey, I don't have a problem with teachers, or anyone for that matter, carrying. I'm just saying that in a situation such as what we know about this, it would take a lot of discipline to shoot a student. Police are trained, conditioned if you will, to neutralize a danger. "CITIZENS" carry for self defense. If you're a teacher and feel you're qualified to deal with such, you are probably an exception.

Really, you believe this?

When I was in the Marine Corps I fired thousands of rounds a day in training. When I was a reserve police officer it was one trip a year to the range, 65 rounds. Many police officers know less about firearms than many on this board. DEA officers that shoot themselves in a class room, troopers that leave their service weapons in the head at Lowe's, city officers that lose bagfuls of pistols. These are the guys that are trained, conditioned to neutralize a danger?

This is not cop bashing by any stretch. There are well trained officers. There are poorly trained officers. I will assume that the worst and dumbest is rolling to an event where my life or someone I love is in danger until the responding officer proves otherwise. YMMV.

The article didn't say he pointed it at the officers just that he failed to comply with the order to drop it. I'm all for self preservation but how do we know this isn't a story of some National Guard junior Rambo reserve cop getting his "first kill"? With the info provided, we don't! Again, I will reserve judgment till more facts are presented.

You'll reserve judgment other than to conjecture that this could be the story of some National Guard junior Rambo reserve cop getting his "first kill". Nice.

Top Bottom