• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poll - Most used lubricants in 3 categories (multiple choice allowed)

• Total voters

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You see tons of threads on all gun forums (this one is no exception) about gun lubricants. I'm curious if kept to just 3 categories which type is most used. For this poll broken down to basically just 3 groups to keep it simple:

1. The newest group, wonder Dry Lubricants. Couple examples - Tuf-Glide and Microlon Gun Juice. Big advantage here is supposed to be the lube does not attract dirt, making clean up a breeze.

2. On old standard for many, Motor Oils. Examples Marvel Mystery Oil and Mobil-1. Great lubes but attracts a great deal of dirt making the gun run dirty.

3. The group I suspect most people use Firearm Specific Lubricants to include the various CLP's and grease's out there. Many Examples Break Free, Slide Glide, Tetra Gun grease etc... This is the largest group with many varying opinions on the wide selection of products. Probably hundreds of different products.

Personally I have had bad luck with the first group. I used dry lubricants and after a hundred rounds ended up having to put some break-free on to keep the guns working. That is just me. So I end up using the third group and really have not found one single product to be that much better than the others.

So what type do you use?

Last edited:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I have not tried any of the dry lubes, but have heard similar comments to the OP's. I understand that mobil-1 is supposed to be an excellent lube, but I have stuck to the "Firearms specific" stuff so far.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Butch's Bore for barrels, Hoppe's #9 for actions. Always have, most always will.

I use dry lube only used for very cold hunts (duck/deer/elk), once you have a frozen firing pin wreck your shot on an Alberta whitetail, you tend to remember that lesson.

Before the hunt clean the gun of all oils, dry lube, very sparingly, then after the hunt scrub it clean and go back to Hoppes #9.

Motor oils are for trucks.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I use mostly dry lubes with the exception of tetra grease on my old sig 226. militec-1 is my favorite overall but I bought some QGC all in one at the last 1500 that I'm testing with favorable results. I'm also currently testing strikehold with results pending.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    If this poll was at SFGunowners instead of INGunowners I bet the most used lube poll question would be different...

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    kylubricatingjelly.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tetra grease is what I really use.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Group buy???

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QVE0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001Q66PQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06BGQGQ68D7WFFT2YPB3"]Amazon.com: Astroglide Personal Lubricant Gel, 4-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 6): Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Top Bottom