• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you shot steel cased .223 through your AR?

• Total voters

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Age old question, is steel .223 ok to run in an AR? I'm not looking for what you've heard, what you've read or what you've been told. I'd like to know what you have personally experienced.

So, who here has ran steel cased .223 in their AR and how has it worked out for you?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ran about 40 rounds through mine today without a problem. Also ran about 100 rounds of carious surplus ammo with no issues.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Very interested in the results of this poll and the comments in this thread...steel cased ammo is too cheap to ignore, but I don't want to risk damaging my riffle.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I run it through all of my AR's and my AK without any issues to date. I have seen Tula give a friend's spikes AR a couple issues with short stroking though.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have run it through my AR, and not had any issues with it. I prefer to shoot brass, as I like to reload whenever possible. If there were ever any bulk sales on re loadable 7.62x39, I would probably be shooting brass in my AK as well.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Ive probably ran a couple thousand rnds. through my Ar's and never had any problems. My firearms must be 100% reliable with whatever ammo I see fit to feed them. If they are not they are either made to be or they are sent down the road !

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    never any issues with wolf or tulammo .223. Just used it for plinking, but there were no feeding issues using magpul magazines.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I don't know the line between "shot" and "shot extensively", but I voted I'm happy for "extensive" use having put approximately 1500 rounds without issue through my RRA AR. Brown Bear + RRA = goodness.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I've ran about 50 rounds of Tula through my DPMS with the DPMS upper with zero problems. Last weekend I ran another 20 rounds of Tula, and maybe 100 rounds of Herters I grabbed at Cabelas through my new Palmetto upper and again had no problems. I ran the Herters rather fast just to see if heat would cause any sticking of the cases. Fed and extracted fine. FYI, I have replaced the BCG with one from BCM.

Funny thing is I did have 2 FTF out of about 100 rounds with the brass Federal 5.56 I have. Thought maybe it was the mag, but it fed fine after that.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No

I voted "No, I don't shoot steel ammo through my precious space rifle."
    because I didn't have the option "No, I don't shoot crap ammo in any of my guns".

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    IMO, it is a good idea to know that in a possible SHTF senerio my rifle will be reliable with ANYTHING I could find to feed it with.:yesway: All the pretty shiney brass ammo just might be gone. Hell of a time to find out your rifle isn't reliable, and becomes nothing more than an expensive club.:rolleyes:

:twocents:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Won't shoot steel ammo through my AR. Because a good friend of mine was out with a buddy a couple of years ago, and he said the steel ruined the guys AR. After both of them burned up a couple of hundred rounds each. The guy began having both feeding & extracting issues. don't remeber the brand of AR he had but I know it was top brand like Bushmaster or Colt or DPMS. I also stay away from Norinco, because I've been told they are "water proofed' with some kind of shellac, and if the gun is not cleaned right away it will harden in the chamber and is extremly hard to clean.

Top Bottom