• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you shot steel cased .223 through your AR?

• Total voters

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Considering that probably half the armies in the world shoot steel cased ammo it's a pretty sure bet that it isn't going to hurt anything.

I always find it interesting that a majority of the stories that explain why something is bad usually start with "I heard", or "a buddy told me he heard"... in 99% of these cases there are no facts that can be referred to just rumor and propaganda.. as Sgt Friday always used to say, "just the facts please".. Has any rifle manufacture specifically said not to fire steel case ammo in their rifles?

So until someone can 'show me the facts' that steel cased ammo is bad for my firearm I'm going to be putting it down range and be happy about it...

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I've put 650rds of wolf through my S&W and I've yet to have any problems with it. There is a review somewhere online with a guy who's put like 5,000 rds of it through his AR with no issues.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I ran 500 rounds through my last Del Ton build, just to try and make it malf. After the 500 Wolf and a few hundred various other brass cased stuff, it was running fine, so I gave in and cleaned it. I will say that the Camo boxed Wolf 'Military classic' or whatever it's called will not run full auto in my AC556. I'll get three or four rounds and it short strokes. NEver had any issue with the black boxed stuff and have had good luck with TulAmmo so far. it's not the most accurate, but for close range practice it works just fine. I'll continue to use it as I need to.

Doug K

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    steel case is almost the only 223 i shoot any more... i have over 2000 rounds between 2 ar's down the pipe with one a having at lest 1200 of it, out of all that i have had 3 times the case stuck in the chamber all 3 times the rim ** was ripped off by the extractor.... 3 out of 2000 isnt bad for the price and all i did was drop a cleaning rod down the barrel and all 3 popped right out

the only time i dont run steel case is with my suppressor there is alread a ton of blowback with steel it would be worse since it doent expand and seal up the chamber like brass does

****edit to claify... just the part of the rim the extractor grabs not the hole back end of the cartridge

Last edited:

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Someone with way more shooting experience than I have told me they run it and I should try it. So I did. I have put 500+ of wolf through my RRA and experienced zero problems.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I pretty much exclusively shoot steel through my Ar and Vz-58, I have had zero problems doing so.

If I have a rifle that can't shoot the cheapest stuff out there then it doesn't deserve to be in my safe and will be promptly sold.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Isn't the AR a battle rifle? With evil features? My evil black battle rifle feeds and functions fine with everything Ive put through it....mostly steel. I thought part of the reasoning behind the FA was to fully seat crappy dirty ammo in the chamber when your rifle gets dirty. I'm shooting carbine length, and plinking with open sights or a red dot with no magnification. So I buy cheap ammo and try to shoot between 60 and 120 rounds per week minimum

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Use it extensively in my Bushmaster,Draco & AK-74 with no issues but all the chambers are Chromemoly or chrome lined .I really think that alot of failed extractions are due to rifles & carbines not having this feature ,just my :twocents:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I went to Atturbury yesterday to break in my new spikes AR. I ran 400 rds various manufacturers and bullet weights through it. Not one malfunction and I kept my groups at "minute of felon" at 100yds with a CompMl2.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My S&W M&P15 hated steel cased ammo. I bought 500 rounds when I bought the gun and every range trip sucked until it was gone. The empty cases would bind in the chamber requiring tapping out using a brass rod down the bore. I'd get maybe 1 or 2 like that per mag. It was enough to convince me that my AR did not like steel.

Now, my AK will shoot it all day long without so much as a hiccup.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Will not function my DPMS/Olympic bastardized AR... seems to run just fine in the mini14 if it's clean. haven't tried it in the wife's Stag/RRA yet...

Top Bottom