• ...and so much more!
  • Which would you buy?

• Total voters

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This happened to me today with my sr9c. Must have brushed the gun up against the bed of the work truck and switched the safety on. This also was the first time thats happened, I've brushed safeties on and off (1911) quite a few times, so much so that I check them quite frequently throughout the day.

O and my vote went to the xds for the lack of the thumb safety. Both good guns but my preference is the springer since I've never failed to disengage the grip safety.

Case and point. You can not just disregard a thumb safety and leave it off. Well...you can, but it's a stupid thing to do.

and I agree with your point on the xds. I've even tried loosening my grip as much as possible (withing reason of my grip...obviously I can grip it in some completely stupid way and not engage it) to see where the safety will cause the gun to not fire, and I do not get any malfunctions. It is a well designed passive safety.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Depends on the price. Shields were going 399 to 425 bit have gone up at many places. Xds is easily an extra 100. Now they also have 2 tone and that's 600+. I would go Shield if you can get a good price on it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Funny, I was fondling both today. I liked both, but noticed the Shield was $449 and the XDs was $559. That's a pretty big difference for 2 guns that seem to have an equal following. Never shot a shield, but did shoot a XDs in .45, and really liked it. Still like my CM9s better. Paid $350 for the last one.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Shields are $399. Xds is $499 (not bi-tone). Anyone charging more is price gouging.
    (that's pre-tax)

i think both are pretty dang good for the money. The shield is just excellent for the money.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Still like my CM9s better. Paid $350 for the last one.

Me too...I will stick with the CM9 myself instead of buying another handgun that is so similar in many respects. Plus the CM9 doesn't have any external safeties to worry about. I really think it is great to have so many options and not limiting everyone to a couple brands/models.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I would go with the Shield. I'm not a fan of safeties and with the Shield I can turn the safety off but I cannot do anything about the XDS grip safety. To me a grip safety is as terrible an idea as a magazine safety. I just don't prefer safeties at all; therefore, I would go with the Shield.

This. The thing about the Shield is the thumb safety is so small and low profile you can leave it off and just ignore it. I would not recommend this on most guns with a thumb safety but it works with the Shield. I have been carrying my M&P Shield for a little over a year now with the safety in the off position all the time and never has it accidentally come on either when I'm carrying or shooting it and I have no reason to believe it will in the future. Whoever made the comparison with the SR9c, not a good one IMO, I've owned and carried that gun too and the thumb safety is notably larger on it than the Shield's is, I did NOT carry it like the Shield when i had it, I actually carried it with the safety on because I wasn't confident it wouldn't accidentally come on. This is ultimately why I got rid of it.

I have not tried the XDs, looks like a nice gun, but the Shield works for me so I'll stick with it. The grip safety on the XDs is just stupid IMO and there is no way to not have it/use it. Sure, if I had the choice, I would take a Shield with no thumb safety, but as long as I can safely and effectively use it with it there, I'm OK with it. Over the course of this past year the Shield has easily been my favorite carry pistol I have ever owned.

The Shield is less expensive too, I paid $400 for mine.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I don't have experience with the XDS but I love my Shield. I have never accidentally engaged the safety and it's not in the way at all. Shoots great, is comfortable, is accurate, and is very reliable. I highly recommend it. Getchyaone!

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Even though I own and XD, I still prefer the Shield due to it's size and ease of concealing, not to mention it is a S&W.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I don't think this poll is solving much. The voting is fairly even. Slight edge to the Shield so far. Better go shoot both of them and decide for yourself.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I went into my LGS yesterday to buy either one of those and wound up buying the Walther PPS. Striker fired, no safety, single stack, different mag sizes available, loved the feel and loved the trigger. Not meaning to add to the confusion...do yourself a favor and check it out before making a decision...

Top Bottom