• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    if a box of ammo costs $10 and every other shop sells it for say $15, but your shop sells it for $30 or more, is that not gouging the customer?

Price gouging is a liberal construct. "The government should regulate how a business opperates and should set prices for the goods businesses sell."

I, for one, believe in conservative economic policy. Real conservative economic policy, not the crap that comes out of the republican party. I don't care if it is milk, corn, gas, whatever... supply and demand should set prices, nothing else.

If Pop Guns can sell a Colt LE6920 for $2600... more power to them. I won't be the idiot to buy it, but more power to them.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Price gouging is a liberal construct. "The government should regulate how a business opperates and should set prices for the goods businesses sell."

I, for one, believe in conservative economic policy. Real conservative economic policy, not the crap that comes out of the republican party. I don't care if it is milk, corn, gas, whatever... supply and demand should set prices, nothing else.

If Pop Guns can sell a Colt LE6920 for $2600... more power to them. I won't be the idiot to buy it, but more power to them.

Not necessarily about prices, the service stinks on ice.
    If you kiss the customers behind some will not mind paying a higher price for an item.
    The waitress with great service gets a better tip than the one who takes your order and disappears the rest of the time.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Not necessarily about prices, the service stinks on ice.
    If you kiss the customers behind some will not mind paying a higher price for an item.
    The waitress with great service gets a better tip than the one who takes your order and disappears the rest of the time.

I don't disagree.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    I am also a FFL so I am well aware of your pricing policy. You are competing with places on line like Buds and Gunbroker who do not have to charge the 7% IN sales tax you and I do; if you don't wake up and smell the coffee you will be selling donuts instead of firearms. People are not stupid when it comes to pricing with all the information available to them on the internet. :twocents:

7% sales tax is NOTHING compared to the shipping /transfer fees. cmon man use your head!:dunno:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I used to stop in there every so often & look around. Not once has anyone even acknowledge my presence. One time I was the only one in the store and still no hello, no may I help you, no can I show you anything..Thankfully Greg opened Beech Grove Firearms to serve the needs of customers on the Eastside with great customer service and fair & reasonable prices.
    Exactly this. I shop around, a lot, but Beech Grove is the one I go to the most.

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    Last time change was mentioned, we ended up with Obama. Please choose words carefully.....kidding. Everytime I go there to use the range, those porkers are always eating and we have to wait for the next bite or them to wipe their mouths with napkins. The change is always greasy. I actually cant afford anything there but the range. So if there is a range close, let me know

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You are way off base with your comment

7% sales tax is NOTHING compared to the shipping /transfer fees. cmon man use your head!:dunno:

How do you think the dealer gets their product, the truck fairy? The dealer has to add the shipping cost into the price along with their markup. Large volume sellers like Buds buy for less than the small dealer, often direct from the manufacturers. Dealers have to pay shipping cost from our distributors to us just like the guy who buys on Gunbroker pays a shipping cost to the seller. You buy a $1,000 gun the IN sales tax is $70 compared to a $20 transfer fee I believe the sale tax is over triple in cost for the buyer. Think before you make a sarcastic comment like this.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have been going to Pops since their days at 10th and Mitthoeffer. Back then, their prices were what I would call "fair" to "good deal." I always got decent customer service. They moved to the new store and at first, prices were still OK, but after a while, prices went way up. However, I also became more educated, and quit paying top dollar for guns locally. I was able to use the internet to find great deals on anything I wanted.

Every time I walk into Pops, if there is a sales person that is not busy, they will ask if I need anything. I do have the feeling that some of these guys are pure business. As one who has come from having no money, I can image all the wishers they get through the door who just want to touch, hold, etc. and have no plans on buying...ever. I am the type of person who isn't too talkative in general public settings _unless_ someone starts the conversation. I have been to plenty of ranges where some gun owner just wants to talk, and talk, and talk, and talk. Some of these people just don't have what I would call "normal" social skills. I am OK chatting for a while, or answering some questions, but eventually I would like to shoot and be left alone. I can only imagine how many of these types flock to gun stores, treat them like museums, and the staff like curators who should drop everything to fulfill the person's desires to talk/touch/etc. about firearms. I would like some input on my belief here. Does it happen? Does it happen a lot? Are there folks who constantly visit, but rarely ever buy?

For Pops, I went there yesterday to shoot. During the 1500, I heard it is easier to get on the range if you arrive early. We got there at opening. Again I was treated just fine. There was an incident on the range, but nothing too serious. The person I was with is a new shooter. She commented on how we should open a range. There was a line when we left and more people coming to the store while we were outside talking by our cars. Pops obviously is doing something OK, as if they were _that_ bad, they wouldn't be in business. Unless prices come down substantially, I likely won't ever be buying anything there myself. I am sure others who do are fine and have their reasons for doing so. I can't really beat up on a store for maximizing profits/revenue w/o looking over their books. All the other gun stores people speak about are _totally_ different than Pops. Pops has live firing going on mere feet where you walk around and shop. I can't even imagine the insurance/liability issues there are with that. As far as their high prices, I don't feel they are ripping anyone off. I was in one gun store and saw an HK USP going for $950.00. Pops had the same price on one they had. I also saw a fairly priced AR not too many months back.

Folks should understand that these people's livelihood is the firearms industry. This county voted in a very anti-gun president as a leader. A die-hard anti-gunner rules the House. We have people running this country that would love to see Pop Guns closed immediately. They would love to see their environment killing range closed immediately. The way this country is heading, I can't blame some, in an industry on the verge of being outlawed, trying to maximize their income as best they can.

I do hope Pops can lower their prices. As far as their customer service, I never really had a bad issue there. Since I am not likely to ever buy there, with current pricing, but like to look, I am honest about this and don't hold it against them for not wanting to chat on and on while I fondle the product.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Would someone fill me in on the ill-fated relationship between Pop's and Tactical Shotgunner? As I understand it TSG got screwed somehow.

It is in the past. What's done is done. We have no ill feelings for Pops, everything has been resolved and we will not air the past in an open forum.

swebb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    To the OP

All of your posts are defensive and attempt to place blame on your potential customers for Popgun's bad reputation. This thread makes it obvious that it is not "the same 5 or 6 guys to complain about everything" but a consensus of the entire board that Popguns is not a reputable business.

As a consumer, I'm not concerned with your operating cost, notion of "fair mark-up", or facilities. I'll purchase any product from the retailer offering the lowest price. Ocasionally, I will pay a little extra for quality customer service, but apparently Popgun's is lacking in that too.

IMO, if Popguns is unwilling to heed to the criticisms of the most informed and frequent gun buyers in Indiana, then stop arguing with the members of the board they hang out on and pursue the Don's Guns customer base. The success of any business relies on good customer service, competitive pricing, and positive word of mouth reputation.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Every time I walk into Pops, if there is a sales person that is not busy, they will ask if I need anything. I do have the feeling that some of these guys are pure business. As one who has come from having no money, I can image all the wishers they get through the door who just want to touch, hold, etc. and have no plans on buying...ever. I am the type of person who isn't too talkative in general public settings _unless_ someone starts the conversation. I have been to plenty of ranges where some gun owner just wants to talk, and talk, and talk, and talk. Some of these people just don't have what I would call "normal" social skills. I am OK chatting for a while, or answering some questions, but eventually I would like to shoot and be left alone. I can only imagine how many of these types flock to gun stores, treat them like museums, and the staff like curators who should drop everything to fulfill the person's desires to talk/touch/etc. about firearms. I would like some input on my belief here. Does it happen? Does it happen a lot? Are there folks who constantly visit, but rarely ever buy?
    Well..... Not speaking of pops, but of my local shop.
    I am sure they do get alot of lookers, but stores like this also loose alot of buisness if you ask me.
    I am young and don't necasarily look like I had gas money to get there, let alone buy anything.
    I had a sales person who was polite to me when I stopped in the store one time "as one of these lookers". Because of this single employee treating me as a person should, they have sold several guns that if left up to the other employees would have just collected dust.
    Many of the other employees are very polite now, after watching me walk out with a number of quality firearms. I make it very apparent that I would only buy a gun from this one sales person though.
    I may look broke, but I don't buy shoes, polos and oakleys. I buy guns!:draw::ar15:Well and yamaha parts:D

Top Bottom