• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Pls explain ...

... how that works. I have the window down 1-inch, and have handed out my papers and licenses. Carry on.
    I think both cases could be applicable, but probably more so Richardson because the initial stop was for a seatbelt. If the officer wants to engage you in an argument or legal debate for some reason that's one thing, but to say you will not be handing over your weapon again no matter what is quite another. There is legal recourse that is less detrimental to you than physically resisting 4 officers who are also armed.
    Please fill us in. Do you mean, also, without relinquishing control of MY weapon? How is NOT doing a non-requisite act better than doing it? "minus" + "minus" = "plus"?? EBG

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Some of you are of the opinion that the OP should have stayed silent about the weapon. What good would that do him if the cop spotted the weapon, drew his, and shot the OP to death? You have to read the situation, you may want to try to assert your rights but your rights are no good if you are dead because of a panicking LEO. Once dead, the LEO could have made up any story about how he thought the guy was going for the gun, so you do what you want, I'll stay alive.

Don't take that as I'm always going to inform, if I have my gun concealed in the car, I'm not going to tell them about it. But, if my weapon is visible, I'll let them know I have a LTCH and I'm armed, in that order. If they choose to harass me after that, I'll deal with it as the situation warrants. If the LEO doesn't appear to be a crazy turd, I'll assert my rights, if he turns bright red and reaches for his weapon, I'll co-operate.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Some of you are of the opinion that the OP should have stayed silent about the weapon. What good would that do him if the cop spotted the weapon, drew his, and shot the OP to death?

Is there a case where an Indiana officer has shot a driver just because the officer saw a firearm?

I know of several example of individuals having their own guns pointed at them by officers who did not understand the operation of a pistol or basic gun safety.

Which is more likely to happen:

1. The cop shooting you because the cop saw a gun, OR

2. Having your pistol waved about all creation including your own body.

IME the answer is #2. No reason to inject coonfingering of guns into a traffic stop.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Just thought I would add this... for those that figure if you don't offer the information to the Officer when he stops you about carrying a firearm... If he ran your plates he already knows...

Whenever they run the plates anymore they get advised of any priors and LTCH issued... It's SOP...

Sooo telling the Officer that it is on your side will just let him know where the firearm is...

Also, unfortunate for me to report but Kirk is correct about being more likely that you will get shot by your firearm on a stop rather than the Officer's. Which is a poor situation with the level of training being available to everyone in general... Been there done that...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    im going to let this one go because i did willfully, after a lot of heisitation, give him my firearm because he was so very persistent and turning red from anger. plus my lawyer has been very good to me and i dont feel like asking for another favor for something i can take car of on a personal level. those LEOs walked away knowing that theres atleast one nonLEO in the area that knows the laws. i forgot to mention that they were very shocked that i knew what i was talking about and at the end told me they were happy to have this conversation and are glad i was so opinionated but again added their 2 cents on officer safety

You mean he coerced you. But for his badge and the ability to make your day really bad, would you have complied with his orders?

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    You really want me to post up cases of people being shot by jumpy LEO's? I don't often watch the news but I can recall instances of unarmed people getting shot, much less armed people getting shot. How about that guy in Ohio that the officer threatened to shoot because the guy didn't inform him fast enough? Or, the guy riding a motorcycle (this is on video as well) getting shot in the back and killed by an officer when the guy didn't even so much as move. You also seem to place a lot faith in the system actually having the right and proper information or the officer reading it correctly or thoroughly.

So, how many people have been shot by an officer mishandling the persons gun?

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    You mean he coerced you. But for his badge and the ability to make your day really bad, would you have complied with his orders?

If he didn't have a badge he would have no reason to comply with any order of this person or so much as stop for them.

Top Bottom