• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    the annual National Crime Victimization Survey published this month by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics that found the number of violent crime victims nationwide climbed from 16.5 per 1,000 people in 2021 to 23.5 per 1,000 in 2022.

So when people are asked about whether they were victimized, it's up 50%, but when cities report the data it's a "record drop". :rolleyes:

I don't believe reported data anymore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So when people are asked about whether they were victimized, it's up 50%, but when cities report the data it's a "record drop". :rolleyes:

I'm skeptical too. Like here in Indy, they report some 200+ homicides so far this year, but I would swear that we have been averaging at least one per day, if not multiples per day. Something doesn't add up.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm skeptical too. Like here in Indy, they report some 200+ homicides so far this year, but I would swear that we have been averaging at least one per day, if not multiples per day. Something doesn't add up.
    Na. The facts are how a homicide is recorded, age, type, weapon, gang, non gang, family? What is a child? Any way to confuse the statistics and how they are rankEd to fit the politics of the moment.

The facts are the facts. The only way to really view them is the once a decade National Crime Stats Report. Crime is down a bunch from the high in the 60’s but the news ain’t gonna say it.JMO

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Self-reporting is always higher, many crimes go unreported and not every department reports into NIBRS, but that's not the issue here. The article is just confusing AF if you don't read closely. Note that they are not comparing the same years in the main article vs the sidebar on self-reporting.

Show me what doesn't add up other than your memory of what it seems like vs what it actually is. Skepticism requires the willingness to prove or disprove. Cynicism is just assuming the worst.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Show me what doesn't add up other than your memory of what it seems like vs what it actually is. Skepticism requires the willingness to prove or disprove. Cynicism is just assuming the worst.
    All I was saying was that nearly every morning when I watch the news, it seems like there has been another (or multiple others) homicide overnight or the previous day. Maybe I should make a project of putting tick marks on a piece of paper whenever I hear of a homicide, beginning Monday. One a day (which seems low) would be 365 homicides a year. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious necessarily, just that they seem under-reported.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    We need to start a thread on January 1 that counts all the homicides within Marion County. We could do other counties, too. Then compare that to what the media reports as a total as the years go on. Their own reporting will expose them if they lie about the data, or report faulty government data.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All I was saying was that nearly every morning when I watch the news, it seems like there has been another (or multiple others) homicide overnight or the previous day. Maybe I should make a project of putting tick marks on a piece of paper whenever I hear of a homicide, beginning Monday. One a day (which seems low) would be 365 homicides a year. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious necessarily, just that they seem under-reported.

What 'it seems like' and what 'it is' are different. The NIBRS number for Indianapolis don't include Beech Grove, Speedway, or Lawrence, only the IMPD jurisdiction. I would think the numbers for the others are as well, but I know for an absolute fact IMPD's homicide numbers are legit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What 'it seems like' and what 'it is' are different. The NIBRS number for Indianapolis don't include Beech Grove, Speedway, or Lawrence, only the IMPD jurisdiction. I would think the numbers for the others are as well, but I know for an absolute fact IMPD's homicide numbers are legit.
    Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't considered that part of it. I guess I was equating "Indianapolis" homicides with Marion County homicides. The news muddies things up when they cover say, a Lawrence homicide, and say something like, "That brings the total number of homicides to xxx this year."

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When I did the math on population and homicide numbers for Marion County (FBI Crime Explorer numbers) the Marion County homicides were slightly higher for 2021.

I look forward to the day you are bored at work.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The Fed. Report I referenced (I truly don’t remember which agency) breaks it down into the little pieces. I’ve got the last one in my library on my computer. It categorizes things such as race, age, gang- non gang, family, sex of victims and perpetrators, weapon, day, night, it’s very comprehensive. It shows the real stats, but no news agencies are going to publish them. It doesn’t fit the news of the current administration point of view.

Reactions: Leo

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For the last year several Psych associations have had articles about growing suicide rates. Maybe murders with no evidence are being called suicide to streamline the reports.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ark

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Then I wouldn't get to see him and that would make me sad.....
    Sure you'd see him! The "little old lady groups" outreach meetings will include using your cane to fend off mashers and dirty old men.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The way the media sensationalizes homicides could it be a case your hearing some re reported incidents?
    They are all about that but the positive stories get a blip and moved on.!

Top Bottom