• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well duh?

"...The sizable fall in homicides comes after a record high in murders was set in 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic when courts were mostly closed and jail populations were being drastically reduced in an attempt to curb the spread of the virus.

"Certainly, after it hit, we saw backlogs of cases and delayed trials and things like that," White said. "There was no real accountability for bad acts."..."

Letting people out of jail to limit spread of a respiratory virus, is a decision which (we can only hope) has not aged well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe murders with no evidence are being called suicide to streamline the reports.
    Yeah, no. Even if this were to happen, it would be a rare case. Homicides are pretty obvious. Suicides are pretty obvious. Rare is the death that is unclear which direction to look.

Reactions: Leo

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Maybe the drop in homicides is related to the fact that concealed carry freedoms are better and more robust nationwide than they’ve ever been (finally)- though certainly more work needs to be done.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Maybe the drop in homicides is related to the fact that concealed carry freedoms are better and more robust nationwide than they’ve ever been (finally)- though certainly more work needs to be done.
    Your not hearing much on thugs dying (other than buy other thugs) and the mere presence of someone carrying does little to wart off any real thugs so that’s going to be a negligible difference if any!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Justified homicides are certainly up in Marion Co, at least. Still homicides. Folks need to remember that homicide =/= Murder.

There are so many variables I don't feel qualified to say how much has to do with changes in the law. It's often not a clear cut good guy vs bad guy sort of thing, but two ongoing criminal enterprises meeting. I doubt the change mattered to that subset.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Justified homicides are certainly up in Marion Co, at least. Still homicides. Folks need to remember that homicide =/= Murder.

There are so many variables I don't feel qualified to say how much has to do with changes in the law. It's often not a clear cut good guy vs bad guy sort of thing, but two ongoing criminal enterprises meeting. I doubt the change mattered to that subset.
    I thought murder is the unlawful killing of another human being.
    If its justified is it no longer murder?
    Otherwise the state when it kills a person sentenced to death, a soldier killing the enemy of their country, or a person defending themselves from would be murderers, would be called murderers themselves.
    One is lawful killing the other is unlawful, and it's all called murder?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Otherwise the state when it kills a person sentenced to death, a soldier killing the enemy of their country, or a person defending themselves from would be murderers, would be called murderers themselves.
    I think he was conveying that the reported homicide rate does not mean murder rate. Self-defense killings + murders = Homicide rate

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No, I stand by my number of = signs.
    Unlawful is murder AND homicide.
    Lawful is homicide NOT murder. Unlawful + Lawful = Homicides
    I was not questioning your conclusion. MOreso the confusing road you took to get there!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Denny got it.

Murder *is* an unlawful killing. Homicide is not a synonym for Murder, rather it's a broader group in which Murder is a subset. Hence the term 'justifiable homicide' being a thing but 'justifiable murder' not being a thing.

*edit*

Maybe you were confused by the symbol? "=/=" means "not equal to".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Denny got it.

Murder *is* an unlawful killing. Homicide is not a synonym for Murder, rather it's a broader group in which Murder is a subset. Hence the term 'justifiable homicide' being a thing but 'justifiable murder' not being a thing.

*edit*

Maybe you were confused by the symbol? "=/=" means "not equal to".
    That's what confused me the symbols.
    Thank you for the education.

Top Bottom