• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I did about 3 years of research on Ancestry.com to find out that my relatives were all liars, drunks, and thieves. Well, most of them anyway. There were some that had honest jobs outside of politics. Some were bootleggers, whores, and cattle thieves...you know, stuff you can be a little more proud of.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I did about 3 years of research on Ancestry.com to find out that my relatives were all liars, drunks, and thieves. Well, most of them anyway. There were some that had honest jobs outside of politics. Some were bootleggers, whores, and cattle thieves...you know, stuff you can be a little more proud of.
    It's the thought that counts, right... :):

If it makes you feel any better, I know there's at least one marriage of 2nd cousins down the line somewhere, LOL. I guess at least it was 2nd, not 1st

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My Great, Great.....Great Grandfather on my mother's side was Elijah Craig, the apocryphal inventor of bourbon.

My Great Uncle is the polka king of Cleveland and host of the longest running radio show in America.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's the thought that counts, right... :):

If it makes you feel any better, I know there's at least one marriage of 2nd cousins down the line somewhere, LOL. I guess at least it was 2nd, not 1st

I'm 1/2 Dutch. We dont have family trees as much as family vines.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    There are relatives on my mother's-mother's side, back in the late 1600's who came to the new world under servitude. Due to their step mother, who sold them off while their father was on a business trip in London. And yes, he stayed with the woman and approved of her action. That is the most messed up thing I have seen.

And between both my side and my wife's we cover every branch of service but the Coast Guard. Her side has Army, Navy and Marine Corps, and my side has Navy and Air Force. We also cover most wars between World War II (my father in law) and OEF (my brother and sister in law). I think the only war we haven't been a part of is either Korea or Vietnam. I know we were in one, but can't recall which. I have my father in law's bayonet from WWII, and it is one of the most prized things in my home.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Great grandpa stayed as a "guest" with a group of indians in canada shortly after getting off the boat from the old country. It took him a year to arrange his departure from their "hospitality".

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The original ancestor on moms side came to what became Maryland in 1670 as an indentured servant. He was from northern Scotland and also had some Irish in the family. In three years he had worked off his debt and bought property in what became Maryland, and raised tobacco. When his son died in 1730 he left a small farm and a negro named Robert to his sister. Robert was to be freed upon the natural death of his sister. I thought that was interesting.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The original ancestor on moms side came to what became Maryland in 1670 as an indentured servant. He was from northern Scotland and also had some Irish in the family. In three years he had worked off his debt and bought property in what became Maryland, and raised tobacco. When his son died in 1730 he left a small farm and a negro named Robert to his sister. Robert was to be freed upon the natural death of his sister. I thought that was interesting.
    hmm

My family back then were Quakers. They didn't agree with slavery, but they did have hired servants. Later generations helped with the underground railroad and fought for the north.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Distant cousins of mine were the couple that were in the theater booth with Lincoln when he was shot. My great uncle on my mom's side was big into geneology. That is our claim to fame.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I think my Wife has us back to the late 1600 in New Jersey, from there we went to Cincinnati where a lot of us became lawyers and judges. Interestingly enough the RR laid claim to a bunch of land we owned and after a court battle the RR got the land and we were suppose to get a settlement...No record of the settlement.
    Grandpa Kelly was in the Calvary out west for a time before returning to Indiana, Haven't found his records yet to see if he was fighting Indians or what.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

hmm

My family back then were Quakers. They didn't agree with slavery, but they did have hired servants. Later generations helped with the underground railroad and fought for the north.

Small world. My family ALSO immigrated to the Colonies in the late 1600's as Quakers. In Maryland, no less. Tax records in the 1700s (Virginia) show us owning property, horses, but no slaves (of course). During the Revolutionary War, we served under Flower Swift, more as a home guard (Quakers are/were apposed to violence of any kind, but "served" to avoid fines and jail). We moved to Indiana by way of Kentucky, as these territories were opened in the early 1800's. We settled in the Seymour area, and the family name is still well represented there.

I have a set of letters written by various family while they served in the Civil War. Here is an excerpt dated December 25th, 1864, from Cyrus to his 2nd cousin Moses (my great, great, great grandfather) when Cyrus was 16:

Dear Friend. I will attempt to write you a few lines to inform you that I am well at present and doing very well. I have no news of interest to write only about the march and taking of Savanah. I have marched over 500 miles since I last wrote to you and our core of the armey tore up the rail road all the way from Atlanta to Savanah. We started the march on 15 of Nov and stoped at the rebel works 2 miles from Savanah on the 10 of dec. We lay in line of battle for 2 days an one night and then we were relieved by the 14 core and our core started to open communications with the ships. <snip> We took Fort Mackalister and then the shipps could come up the river. <continues...>

I also have a bunch of old letters between various family and friends. One even talks about insuring a horse! Damn cool stuff.

Top Bottom