• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’ve ask this question before, but in a different way. Unsatisfactory results. So I’ll try differently.

I’m attempting to find 3 or 4 powders that have a broad ability to load 9 to 12 calibers, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun.

I want to buy 4 powders in bulk that will load most, if not all of the most common modern as well as older calibers. I’m asking the most collectively knowledgeable group of folks I can think of for opinions.

I’m a fudd, I’ve got many powders, most between 1-2 lbs. or less left, for the rounds I shoot. 38. 30-30 .270 45-70, 12, 20, 410 ga. All best for caliber powders, but I’m down to the end of most. And I want to reload for more modern rounds. For instance the 6.5 CM, 40 S&W, and other new popular rounds.

It’s time to re-up and restock. I know powders have come a long way in the twenty years since I bought my last stock. I’ve never shot a lot of modern rounds, less than a thousand 9mm, and the last time I fired a 5.56 was 1971. So if anyone wants to make a suggestion on 4 powders that do it all, I’m all ears. And thanks for the advice in advance. If this is an impossible request, please feel free to say so.
    Thanks.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Well, as you know, that’s a tall order, it with some research, I’m sure it’s possible. It depends on how good is ‘good enough‘ for accuracy and power. With the 38 special and 45-70, thee is a broad range of power levels you can load to depending on firearms and need.

For the 38 special, I would recommend Red Dot, I’ve loaded pounds and pounds of it over the years in a broad variety of pistol calibers. It is originally a shotgun powder, so I am sure you could find load data for all of the gauges you load. I have a freind who messaged me just last night, saying he was working on loading red dot in 45-70 with some 350 gr cast bullets. I’m assuming they are plinking level loads, but it shows the versatility of Red Dot. Honestly you could say the same for Unique, but I don’t know if it will work in shotguns or not.
    2400 and 4227 will both work in 45-70 and warmer 38 special loads.

3031 is a well loved powder for the 30-30, and I believe it will also work in the 45-70 and a variety of other rifle calibers, not sure on the 270.

I’ve never loaded 270 before but I have loaded quite a bit of 308 with both 4895 and Varget. Both versatile rifle powders and will work well in 223 and 308, so with the 270 being ba 308 based case, I assume it would work as well.

maybe if you gave us your list of powders you currently use, we could trim that list down for you. Good luck on your search!

Reactions: Mij

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Rifle wise .
    H335
    Varget
    Staball match

For shotgun and pistol
    Universal

You'll have to do more indepth research, and a lot of load development no doubt.
    Agree on all accounts 8208 xbr works in a lot of rifle calibers and shot the best out of my AR-s with el cheapo 55 fmj. It was awesome in my my .270 but it is apparantly kept with the unicorns cause I haven’t been able to find any. H335 and 4895 will cover a pretty broad range to. And to Magyars, I agree as well ,I’ve been loading Red Dot and unique in shotguns and pistols for 35 years. I love it but it’s hard to find and wildly expensive. I’ve kinda transitioned to titegroup for pistol/ shotgun.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    … 8208 xbr… was awesome in my my .270 but it is apparantly kept with the unicorns cause I haven’t been able to find any.

Because it IS a unicorn lol. Hodgdon has it in stock in 1lb jugs, and doesn’t plan to make it in 8lbers in the foreseeable future, apparently. It came out to $50/lb for 5lbs (max order amount) when I priced it out today, as I’d love to stock up on it myself. At that price though, I’m going with something else. Powders that you can’t reliably find and that cost an arm and a leg when you do are outside my realm of reality. If I could afford to buy something like 32lbs of the stuff then I’d consider it, but I don’t want to work up a load and then not be able to find it again for years…

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Because it IS a unicorn lol. Hodgdon has it in stock in 1lb jugs, and doesn’t plan to make it in 8lbers in the foreseeable future, apparently. It came out to $50/lb for 5lbs (max order amount) when I priced it out today, as I’d love to stock up on it myself. At that price though, I’m going with something else. Powders that you can’t reliably find and that cost an arm and a leg when you do are outside my realm of reality. If I could afford to buy something like 32lbs of the stuff then I’d consider it, but I don’t want to work up a load and then not be able to find it again for years…
    I got tired of checking their website and tried to find locally, like every surrounding county and got hysterical laughs when I asked for it. I will probably buy a pound and cry knowing I paid 50 dollars more than I used to three years ago. It just works awesome for me and every caliber I load for. I will probably save it if things get really bad. Thanks for the heads up!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I believe Clays is to fast for at least 410 loads.
    I don't know much about 410. Will Universal work with 410?

My understanding of his post was he wanted one powder for all rifles
    And one powder for his 38 special, 40 S&W, and his 12ga, 20ga and 410.

So I was trying to find powder that could do it all. I'm just not sure if Universal will work for 410.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thanks folks, I’m down to a couple lbs. of 231, 4227, a lb+ of Green Dot n about maybe 3 lbs of Red Dot. Got lots of wads n a bunch of primed 38 brass. Trash bags of hulls, all the other components I need, but powders are getting short.

Quite a few guys are coming out to sight in, and it seems like everyone has gone to the new (to me) 6.5 CM.

If I’m gonna stock up on powder I’d like to get my best bets. Thanks again for the input.

Welp, time to fill the thermos n go run traps.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Possibly. I don’t reload shotgun ammo. I do have friends that use clays for 12 gauge. I have used it successfully in .45 ACP. My dad even uses it for light .44 magnum with cast bullets.
    Yea, I dont do shotgun anymore myself.
    I have friends that do and I just recall something that its to fast for the little shot shells.
    I think I have a pound or two of Clays myself, most likely to try with pistol like your father.
    Like the OP for a few years I also have been thinning down on what powders I now buy and keep on the shelf.
    Its a pita to find powders that are under $30.00 a pound in a 8 pounder that are diverse enough for me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I did the same thing years ago.

Hodgdons TiteGroup easily covered almost all of 25 pistol calibers AND 12 gauge shotshells. Shot s lot of .40 TiteGroup loads, both cast and jacketed bullets.

Acurate Arms #9 was my favorite Max magnum pistol loads.

Varget covered almost all Medium Highpower rifle loads, .223 to 30-06. Shot a LOT of Varget .260 Rem rounds, so I think the 6.5 creedmore would be fine

4831sc was my Magnum rifle powder.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I use H110 for .410, .357 30 carbine, 300 BO, and 44 mag. Unique, Red Dot, and W244 for pistol, shotgun and low power rifle loads.
    3031, 748, 760 for boomer rifle loads.

Top Bottom