• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mrs. GFGT woke me up this morning to tell me the power's out. :rolleyes: The REMC has been called. Now we wait. If it's not on soon, I think I might take a drive and see if I can spot the problem.

Today would suck to be a lineman.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That stinks. I meant to fill up the gas cans but couldn't find my wallet for a while. Just curious, what were you supposed to do with that knowledge she woke you up to report? :):

my wife is fond of waking me up to ask when I plan to get up :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That stinks. I meant to fill up the gas cans but couldn't find my wallet for a while. Just curious, what were you supposed to do with that knowledge she woke you up to report? :):

My ex used to do something similar. I like my naps, and will generally sleep for an hour, plus or minus a few minutes, but pretty much 1 hour on the nose. Without fail, she would find some excuse to come into the bedroom and start making noise about 15 or 20 minutes before I would normally wake up on my own. Back then I decided that if I ever build a new house from the ground up, I am going to put in a soundproof, lockable dedicated "nap room". :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Another lost wallet?!?! :faint:

Oh she thought maYbe it was something to do with our breaker panel. Basic troubleshooting is not her strong suit. (Don't tell her I said that).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Whew! The emergency is now over. I'm back in the 21st century.

Power was off for almost 1 hour exactly. Over the years, I've been pretty impressed with this REMC. They usually respond quickly enough.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy

Power was off for almost 1 hour exactly. Over the years, I've been pretty impressed with this REMC. They usually respond quickly enough.

They have improved over the years for sure. A couple weeks ago I called to tell them I had too much voltage at my house. 132VAC to be exact. I had already called the neighbor and he had the same thing. About 30 mins after calling REMC, the truck was at my house to confirm. Apparently, their Fluke multi-meter is better than mine. After I reminded they guy that their was work going on at the sub-station that day, he said he knew what the problem was and off he went to do great things...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They have improved over the years for sure. A couple weeks ago I called to tell them I had too much voltage at my house. 132VAC to be exact. I had already called the neighbor and he had the same thing. About 30 mins after calling REMC, the truck was at my house to confirm. Apparently, their Fluke multi-meter is better than mine. After I reminded they guy that their was work going on at the sub-station that day, he said he knew what the problem was and off he went to do great things...

They probably had a capacitor bank that didn't switch out when it was supposed to.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think the emotional scaring will be too bad on this. Had it lasted another 15-20 minutes though, it might have really been traumatic.
    At least it wasn't something like discovering you are out of cheese slices on cheeseburger night... whew... I had nightmares about that for weeks.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

My second apartment I had after moving to Indy would lose power ALL THE TIME. I used to travel extensively for work - and the clocks would always be flashing when I'd get home. Don't know how LONG the outages were; just know that it'd be once or twice a week. It was a "shock" to me when all the clocks would be "normal" upon returning home.

This happened for 2-3 years. Then - just mysteriously stopped. I guess they must've finished burying the lines at some point in the string - or at least really secured the connections at the poles.

Our house in Greenwood now - we RARELY lose power. Hardly even a flicker. It's great - but also leads to a false sense of security for my wife. She and I were discussing whole-house generators recently and she just can't fathom it to spend $5-6k on the purchase/pad/installation of a 20Kw generator.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My second apartment I had after moving to Indy would lose power ALL THE TIME. I used to travel extensively for work - and the clocks would always be flashing when I'd get home. Don't know how LONG the outages were; just know that it'd be once or twice a week. It was a "shock" to me when all the clocks would be "normal" upon returning home.

This happened for 2-3 years. Then - just mysteriously stopped. I guess they must've finished burying the lines at some point in the string - or at least really secured the connections at the poles.

Our house in Greenwood now - we RARELY lose power. Hardly even a flicker. It's great - but also leads to a false sense of security for my wife. She and I were discussing whole-house generators recently and she just can't fathom it to spend $5-6k on the purchase/pad/installation of a 20Kw generator.

When we lived in Bloomington, we had the same kind of nuisance outages you're talking about. Probably more than we do out here in the country.

Right after we moved out here (my wife is a lifelong city-girl, by the way), a big storm blew through and we were out for 2 maybe 3 days. We talked about buying a big generator then, but since then our outages have seldomly been more than an hour or so.
    e

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Living in the city it was hard to convince myself to have genny's
    Transformer popped on the pole out back on Sunday afternoon. I pulled the genny out of the race trailer and ran some cords. It was 24 hrs before the repair was complete. Now we have 3 genny's for the 2 houses. Also a battery bank on ours.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Living in the city it was hard to convince myself to have genny's
    Transformer popped on the pole out back on Sunday afternoon. I pulled the genny out of the race trailer and ran some cords. It was 24 hrs before the repair was complete. Now we have 3 genny's for the 2 houses. Also a battery bank on ours.

I haven't been on the grid since before I bought the Ranch. For the last 20+ years I have provided my own power. Once in a while one of the battery banks gets low and I run a generator, but as I have redundant systems and multiple generators, power on some of the circuits is never out longer than it takes to reroute or start a generator. I was at a friend's house a few months ago when the power went out and was out for several hours. It was killing me to not just get up and fire up a generator.

Another member here and I just went in together on a pallet of solar panels (.83/watt delivered!) and I am in the process of bringing another 1.8kW online to my existing array.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't been on the grid since before I bought the Ranch. For the last 20+ years I have provided my own power. Once in a while one of the battery banks gets low and I run a generator, but as I have redundant systems and multiple generators, power on some of the circuits is never out longer than it takes to reroute or start a generator. I was at a friend's house a few months ago when the power went out and was out for several hours. It was killing me to not just get up and fire up a generator.

Another member here and I just went in together on a pallet of solar panels (.83/watt delivered!) and I am in the process of bringing another 1.8kW online to my existing array.

Jealous I am yes.
    Battery bank is also a spoiler. No solar.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Power goes out, generator comes on. Backed by 1K gallons of propane. Call the power company and when the juice comes back on, generator goes back off. Easy living.:)

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Tactically Fat said:

You can buy a 6500w+ electric start generator and have a 10 circuit transfer switch installed for 1/4 of that, quite possibly less.

Mine won't run my WHOLE house as the range, air conditioner and water heater are electric...but it'll run most everything else save a couple outlet circuits.

Top Bottom