• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can buy a 6500w+ electric start generator and have a 10 circuit transfer switch installed for 1/4 of that, quite possibly less.

Mine won't run my WHOLE house as the range, air conditioner and water heater are electric...but it'll run most everything else save a couple outlet circuits.

I brought up that option to her, too. "A smaller generator won't cost as much".

But ~$4k for a 20Kw Generac really is a pretty good price. We will soon have a gas range, but the water is electric. As is the obvious AC. Not sure how small we could go that'd still run the blower for the heat, though. Do have gas heat.

Perhaps a smaller generator + a ventless gas insert for the fireplace (vented gas log now) would be a rather economical way to go.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did your emergency supplies last through the entire hour?

GFGT's one hour emergency supply...

TONY+POPCORN+001.JPG

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Mrs. GFGT woke me up this morning to tell me the power's out. :rolleyes: The REMC has been called. Now we wait. If it's not on soon, I think I might take a drive and see if I can spot the problem.

Today would suck to be a lineman.

Haha, my wife teaches at one of the elementary schools in town (I'll tell you which one if you must know). Ten minutes after she got there this morning (2 hr delay) power went out due to a car accident. They had to bring lunches in from one of the other schools because power is STILL out at school...

Thankfully her classroom has windows so they can at least see...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Did your emergency supplies last through the entire hour?

GFGT's one hour emergency supply...

TONY+POPCORN+001.JPG

No. Luckily though, the batteries were still up on my iphone and ipad...I almost had to engage in conversation with people of my family!

Apparently the iphone can still talk to the web at one bar where the ipad can't. (cell phone amp was down).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Haha, my wife teaches at one of the elementary schools in town (I'll tell you which one if you must know). Ten minutes after she got there this morning (2 hr delay) power went out due to a car accident. They had to bring lunches in from one of the other schools because power is STILL out at school...

Did that school's name start with an "L"?

Accident Knocks Out Power - WBIW.com / Local

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Modern technologic society will always be just one bad weather event or one small accident away from chaos.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oops! Just had a "blip". It went off for a second and came back on. About that time, I heard a 'bang' off in the distance. I don't know if it was connected and it took a while for the sound to travel or we have people out there deer hunting (pretty much at dark, BTW).

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Years ago I remember we lost power in the evening. I told everyone I am going to bed. My youngest son told me we can't go to bed the power is out. "get your butt in bed!!!"

Top Bottom