• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's that.

I'm neither here nor there on criminal charges in this case. I see how what happened fits the definition of a negligent homicide, but whether I would charge or not I don't know. It seems to me that he was at least negligent, if not reckless.

I do, however, believe that a lawsuit against the cruise line is absurd and there should be consequences for that. "Grandpa killed my kid, give me money." I am not known for empathy to begin with and the lawsuit reduced any sympathy I had by a large percentage. I actually have more sympathy for the grandfather.

^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Where is the always follow the money guy?

If there was no lawsuit this would not be happening.
    The local .gov down there is protecting a huge revenue stream.

He's just catching up.

I'm no legal scholar but it does sound like a negotiation tactic.

There's really no good outcome in any of this. The family should just accept it as a tragedy and move on. Having been involved in a similar situation at my old neighborhood, that's what happened in the end after a flurry of fear and threats.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The “purpose” that will be served is to set an example that there ARE repercussions for stupidity/bad decisions, and just maybe someone will think twice before doing the same thing. Do you think that the parents who ‘“accidentally” leave their children in hot cars to die, should not be prosecuted, because “no purpose will be served”?

Without getting into it to deeply because I don't give a ratsass one way or the other; what exactly can ANYBODY do to this family that's going to be worse than what has happened? Sure lock him up for life and put it on the taxpayers tab! It won't make gpaw feel any worse than he already does although it may accelerate his death. This was an accident caused by poor decision making but poor decision making isn't really a crime. Is this something he did regularly or was it a spur of the moment mistake?

And in certain cases I also believe that leaving a kid to die in a hot car should not be prosecuted. The meth head that let's their kid die while they're getting their fix? I'll throw the switch but I can see cases where a true case of accidentally leaving your kid in the car can happen.

Life isn't absolutes but go ahead and believe it if it makes you feel better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Without getting into it to deeply because I don't give a ratsass one way or the other; what exactly can ANYBODY do to this family that's going to be worse than what has happened? Sure lock him up for life and put it on the taxpayers tab! It won't make gpaw feel any worse than he already does although it may accelerate his death. This was an accident caused by poor decision making but poor decision making isn't really a crime. Is this something he did regularly or was it a spur of the moment mistake?

And in certain cases I also believe that leaving a kid to die in a hot car should not be prosecuted. The meth head that let's their kid die while they're getting their fix? I'll throw the switch but I can see cases where a true case of accidentally leaving your kid in the car can happen.

Life isn't absolutes but go ahead and believe it if it makes you feel better.

Did anybody check Gpaws blood alcohol levels...???

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update:

Cruise line has filed for dismissal in a hearing today. The cruise line submitted still photos from the CCTV of grandpa sticking his head out the open window seconds before lifting his granddaughter. If you recall, he claimed he didnt know the window was open. So much for that excuse.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Update:

Cruise line has filed for dismissal in a hearing today. The cruise line submitted still photos from the CCTV of grandpa sticking his head out the open window seconds before lifting his granddaughter. If you recall, he claimed he didnt know the window was open. So much for that excuse.

As a civil defense lawyer...

sprockets-gif-13.gif

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Update:

Wow. Compounding tragedy with lying? Now I'm pissed

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Update:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ped-toddler-death-cruise-ship-aware-open.html

Story link has a video. Sure looks like gramps puts his head and shoulders through the open window, then comes back in and lifts the little girl all the way through the open window. No banging on glass like at the hockey games.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7896071/Grandfather-dropped-toddler-death-cruise-ship-aware-open.html

Story link has a video. Sure looks like gramps puts his head and shoulders through the open window, then comes back in and lifts the little girl all the way through the open window. No banging on glass like at the hockey games.[/FONT]

OK he deserves every bit that comes his way.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Now that the video has surfaced, I’m sure he is regretting the plea deal offer of limited probation and no jail time. But, if he had taken the deal, then the family would not have been able to TRY to EXTORT the millions from the cruise line. I think he DESERVES morr than the three year maximum. I just hope that Puerto Rican prisons “living conditions” make up for the short sentence.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Makes me wonder what the father of the child thinks about Pops now? Dollar to a dime gpaw was drunk, I mean why else be in the bar?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now that the video has surfaced, I’m sure he is regretting the plea deal offer of limited probation and no jail time. But, if he had taken the deal, then the family would not have been able to TRY to EXTORT the millions from the cruise line. I think he DESERVES morr than the three year maximum. I just hope that Puerto Rican prisons “living conditions” make up for the short sentence.

Yep, it's pretty clear he knew the window was open. Hang him from the yard arm! Arrrr! :xmad:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Now that the video has surfaced, I’m sure he is regretting the plea deal offer of limited probation and no jail time. But, if he had taken the deal, then the family would not have been able to TRY to EXTORT the millions from the cruise line. I think he DESERVES more than the three year maximum. I just hope that Puerto Rican prisons “living conditions” make up for the short sentence.

Agreed with this.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always figured the charges were part of a defense strategy against litigation coming from this tragedy. Probably will be dropped once the family drops their lawsuit. Really a sad situation.

Top Bottom