Thou alone lovest mankind. Glory be to the Father and the
    Son and the Holy Spirit. Thou art the God who descended
    into hell and loose the bonds of the captives. Do give rest
    also to the soul of Thy servant Gary. Both now and ever and
    unto ages of ages. O Virgin, alone pure and undefiled, who
    without seed didst bring forth God, pray that his soul
    may be saved. With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul
    of Thy servant Gary. where there is neither sickness, nor
    sorrow, nor sighing, but life everlasting. Amen.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Thank you all for your kind words. I appreciate them.

Tomorrow is sure gonna suck.

Brethren, we would not have you ignorant concerning those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command with the archangel's call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

The Lord said to those Jews which had come to him: Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life 'in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself, and has given him the authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of man. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment. I can do nothing on my own authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.

Brethren, come, and let us give a farewell kiss give to him whom death has taken, and offer thanks to God. For he has departed from the bosom of his kin; and he hastens to burial, no longer remembering vanity, nor yet the flesh which is often sore distressed. Where are now his kindred and comrades? Now is come the hour of partings: let us pray to the Lord to bring him to his rest.

Brethren, what at this last moment means your distress of parting, your wailing? What means your funeral dirge? Come, and give a kiss to him so lately with us: for consigned to the grave is he with stone is he to be covered. Darkness is his dwelling place; he with the dead is entombed. Come, all you his kindred and comrades: now is come the hour of parting. Let us pray to the Lord to bring him to his rest.

Mother of the never setting Sun, Parent of our God, O preserve them that set their hope on you; intercede, we pray you, with our greatly gracious Lord, that repose may be granted him that now is departed. In that habitation where repose the souls of the Just: and unto everlasting remembrance set him in the courts of the Righteous, made all-blameless, as the heir of blessings divine.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

Looking on me as I lie here prone before you, voiceless and unbreathing, mourn for me, everyone; brethren and friends, kindred, and you who knew me well; for but yesterday with you I was talking, and suddenly there came upon me the fearful hour of death: therefore come, all you that long for me, and kiss me with the last kiss of parting. For no longer shall I walk with you, nor talk with you henceforth: for to the Judge I go, where no person is valued for his earthly station: Yea, slave and master together stand before Him, king and soldier, rich man and poor man, all accounted of equal rank: for each one, according to his own deeds shall be glorified, or shall be put to shame. Therefore I beg you all, and implore you, to offer prayer unceasingly for me to Christ our God, that I be not assigned for my sins to the place of torment; but that He assign me to the place where there is Light of Life.

Both now and ever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Memory Eternal.

English

[video=youtube;sGKRWBe7RFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKRWBe7RFg&index=20&list=PLMAs7TbnsEWeGwA jCaGSOtt8gRy1i_E1i[/video]

Russian

[video=youtube;dR7Yq2kf8kc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7Yq2kf8kc[/video]

Greek

[video=youtube;DWKGQStYLVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWKGQStYLVI[/video]

Explanatory

[video=youtube;DiCHBmHNoPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCHBmHNoPs&start_radio=1&list=RDDiCHBmHNo Ps[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    98G/ Russian linguist in the army myself. Small world sometimes.. Hope things are going as well as can be expected under the circumstances, TF.

Small world indeed. My dad was QUITE proud of his work and his time in the service. He spent most of his time at RAF Chicksands. Not too far from London. He and his group would listen to Russian radio broadcasts and then write down what they heard. He told me it was mostly weather reports. But they'd also intercept ground-to-air, and air-to-ground comms and do those, too.

Not sure what his MOS # would've been. I can't find a modern analog on an MOS list for "linguist".

He used to brag so much about he and "his" guys were so good at their jobs that not 1 single Viet Cong made it to England during his service.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Small world indeed. My dad was QUITE proud of his work and his time in the service. He spent most of his time at RAF Chicksands. Not too far from London. He and his group would listen to Russian radio broadcasts and then write down what they heard. He told me it was mostly weather reports. But they'd also intercept ground-to-air, and air-to-ground comms and do those, too.

Not sure what his MOS # would've been. I can't find a modern analog on an MOS list for "linguist".

He used to brag so much about he and "his" guys were so good at their jobs that not 1 single Viet Cong made it to England during his service.

Well, cause there is no MOS. They're "spooks" or "Tango Charlies". And they don't exist on paper.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Here's a small web page about my dad's little group.

https://airforce.togetherweserved.c...ebApp?cmd=PublicUnitProfile&type=Unit&ID=6281

Apparently what they were doing was sensitive enough that they weren't allowed to talk with others about their job. Not even co-workers who weren't doing those same jobs. And, I learned the other day, that the East Germans/Russians had bounties on these folks. That if they were captured somehow, there was decent payment made. Generally just in the Berlin area, though.

My dad did say that he had a train trip or two around Europe when he was there. Apparently they were supposed to adopt some kind of "cover" story for themselves lest they be made a target.

I also learned that my dad lost a stripe at some point in his 4 years. His formal photo he had taken of himself early in his enlistment showed him with 3 stripes. There were only 2 stripes on his dress blues that his wife found the other day. I tried getting the story out of a co-worker and friend of his, but kind of ran out of time. It MAY have been a combination of a few things done "accidentally on purpose" in order to not be restationed in Turkey...

Top Bottom