• ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Armalite Super SASS

He is a pic of my old Armalite Super SASS .308, Like an Idiot I sold It not too long ago. I really wish I wouldnt have!! It had a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm scope in a AD mount on top of it. Very Nice Rifle!!

ab9eadbc.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Mosin Nagant Sniper rifles................

L to R.....
    1944 Tula PU sniper
    1944 Izhevsk PU sniper
    1944 Izhevsk PU sniper/ Yugoslavian Rebuild
    1953 Hungarian M53 sniper
    1956 Czech VZ54 sniper

I like the way you think. :D
    2012-3-18mosin7.jpg

Here is my lucky first 4 rounds (for this range trip) at 100yds.
    2012-3-18mosin10.jpg

:rockwoot:
    Here is the thread I made to share my surprise at that result (thinly veiled as a "range report".):): https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/203356-mosin_sniper_range_report.html

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    It shot like a dream. It was a great rifle. It had a healthy price tag but it was well worth it. You barely even felt any recoil. It was a smooth rifle!

Yea Bonez, Id be kickin myself over gettin rid of that one myself! One of those is on the top of my want list. How well did it shoot?

infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    is there a law on the caliber you can use while hunting? i know you cant shoot a deer with a .22 or a similar round. Can someone hunt with like a .50?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    is there a law on the caliber you can use while hunting?

Each state's fish/wildlife laws vary.

In Kentucky (where I hunt) you can use any caliber centerfire rifle or pistol for deer, provided it doesn't hold more than 10+1 rounds and you aren't using FMJ/tracer ammo.

Biggest whitetail ever taken on my family farm was by a 14 year old boy with a 223 Handi-Rifle...and it was a bang-flop DRT shot.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    New R700 Done

Well it is finally done except for adjusting the scope (which is a little canted for pics). Here is my Semi-Custom Remington Model 700 Mil-Spec 5R .300WM bolt gun.

I would like to thanks several friends that made this one happen like:

Pat at BattleCoat, Brooks and Richard at Thompson Machine, Greg and Gary at Beech Grove Firearms, Tim at Vortex Optics, Scott at McReePrecision, Cory Nash of Nash Gunworx, Lon Harness, and my friend Allen. Having friends willing to help you do something you have never tried before sure makes it a lot more fun and easier to accomplish.

SPECS

Stock Gun: Remington Model 700 Stainless Mil-Spec 5R .300WM Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central

Chassis: McRees Precision MP-MODSS TMAG www.mcreesprecision.net

Hydro-Dip Serivce: ATACS by BattleCoat of Indianapolis www.battlecoat.com

ATACS:
    atacs_camo-3.jpg

BEFORE BATTLECOAT:
    pic4.jpg

AFTER BATTLECOAT:
    ATACSMCREES-1.jpg

Bolt Fluting & Tactical Knob Instal: Kampfeld Custom Rifles Kampfeld Custom - Custom Rifles, Custom Gunsmithing

pic5.jpg

bolt2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Finish: Custom Mix of KG Gun Kote in "Vortex Stealth Shadow" Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings

Optics: Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50mm 35MM Tube Vortex Optics - Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-1 MOA

Vortex_Razor_HD_Rifle_Scope.jpg

RAZOREBR1MOA.jpg

Rings: Vortex 35MM Vortex Optics - Razor HD 35mm Rings .96 Inch

vortex_RZ35-RINGS.jpg

Base: Seekins LA Scope Base

SeekinsBase.jpg

Suppressor: Thompson Machine THIRTY CENTERFIRE RIFLE « Thompson Machine

30thirty.jpg

Trigger: Timney Straight Trigger factory set at 2.5# Product Line

FINISHED PRODUCT-----------

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Mossberg 100ATR in .308
    Shooters Ridge 6"-9" bi-pod
    SWFA SS 10x42 scope
    SWFA high rings
    I'm also going to add a Boyds Monte Carlo stock as well.

004-30.jpg

003-45.jpg

005-22.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Can you guys tell me how 5.56 performs out to 600 yards?

Depending on the bullet, load & velocity its starting to 'run out of gas' but will still easily ring steel...but wind can and will play hell with it. Case in point, my range trip today! :rockwoot:

Savage 12FV, factory 26" 9 twist 223 Rem barrel, Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist Stock, Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 mil/mil scope.

IMG_0373.jpg

Target setup on our Washington Co, KY farm:

FarmRange-1.jpg

Test & zero @ 105yds with Hornady 75gr Steel Match ammo (didn't have time to reload so I thought I'd try this...VERY pleasantly surprised with 5 shots in 0.65")

IMG_0376.jpg

Using data from iPhone 'Shooter' app (75gr HPBT @ 2800fps, just a guess) every round was a hit on steel @ 275yd with a half-dozen hits on the 645yd plate out of maybe 20 shots using 650yd dope. I had a very slight right quartering tailwind so I dialed 0.3mil R windage, and spent the first 10 (yes 10) shots walking the damn ammo on target because downrange there was no wind and I needed exactly ZERO WINDAGE to score hits. Other times I'd get two hits in a row then wind would gust a bit and impact would be a foot left of target.

Longest I've shot prior to this is 230yd, so this was a challenge and learning experience but a HELL of a lot of fun...especially using fairly inexpensive factory ammo. Something about pulling the trigger, the rifle recoiling, then about a second later seeing the plate swing or the splash of the miss...

Top Bottom