• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think you're more likely to be the first responder after a terrorist attack than you are to be the victim of one.
    If a guy blows himself up in a crowd right next to you there is not much you can do.
    But if you show up after the attack with first aid gear and the knowledge to use it you could save many lives before the medics get there.

People need to understand what that means. You have no problem dealing with sutures on family members, those that have not seen that kind of thing need some level of training to prepare themselves for the blood and challenge of knowing the best action to take to save a life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People need to understand what that means. You have no problem dealing with sutures on family members, those that have not seen that kind of thing need some level of training to prepare themselves for the blood and challenge of knowing the best action to take to save a life.

Ha....you have seen my book of faces page.....:)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ha....you have seen my book of faces page.....:)

Yes! And you performed the suture removal like a trained individual - exactly as all the research I have done says it is supposed to be done.

So, people need to know how to take care of their own and most DO NOT! A lot of sheep will no fare well...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think you're more likely to be the first responder after a terrorist attack than you are to be the victim of one.
    If a guy blows himself up in a crowd right next to you there is not much you can do.
    But if you show up after the attack with first aid gear and the knowledge to use it you could save many lives before the medics get there.

+1

Whether it is some kid who just lost a leg to a suicide bomber or your buddy who just bit into his leg with his chainsaw, it is good to have some knowledge of trauma care.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes! And you performed the suture removal like a trained individual - exactly as all the research I have done says it is supposed to be done.

So, people need to know how to take care of their own and most DO NOT! A lot of sheep will no fare well...

After I was done with that procedure I found the scissors I really needed to do it easier. Another reminder.
    Always know where your gear is located. Keep multiples of important materials/supplys and the tools to do the job.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For years I have read that 50 yard PPC and NRA Bullseye competition is not relevant.

My ability to make a head shot at 50 yards with a handgun might be relevant when it happens here. 50 yard headshots are all that I practice anymore.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For years I have read that 50 yard PPC and NRA Bullseye competition is not relevant.

My ability to make a head shot at 50 yards with a handgun might be relevant when it happens here. 50 yard headshots are all that I practice anymore.

I HOPE I never find myself in that situation. But you are right in preparing and it is yet another point well taken, these ISIS marauders may come at any time in places you go to often.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My kids moaned and groaned when I put everything out to 50 yards. They watched the 7 yard guys down the firing line and wondered why we were drilling at 25 yards. They got pretty good at 25. So, I moved everything out to 50. They really thought that was nuts.
    Moral of the story, any of them can do a draw and shoot hit on the torso target at 25 yards with no sights now. Head shots at 50 are no longer a huge challenge. They ring steel at 100 with pistols regularly.
    Now at 7 yards there are no sites required....point and shoot.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My kids moaned and groaned when I put everything out to 50 yards. They watched the 7 yard guys down the firing line and wondered why we were drilling at 25 yards. They got pretty good at 25. So, I moved everything out to 50. They really thought that was nuts.
    Moral of the story, any of them can do a draw and shoot hit on the torso target at 25 yards with no sights now. Head shots at 50 are no longer a huge challenge. They ring steel at 100 with pistols regularly.
    Now at 7 yards there are no sites required....point and shoot.

And that is how our local "well armed militia" should be prepared.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Read up on when/where these things happen. As noted, it's kind of hard to fight back against a suicide bomber but it's not super hard to avoid places that might get bombed.

Some folks say things like, "If we stop going places we like... the terrorists win." They're not wrong but the terrorists don't care about that. They'll continue to hit the softest targets they can with the biggest impact. Here in America, that'll be places like schools, malls, hospitals, stadiums/theaters, etc., because you simply cannot harden those targets hard enough to stop all terror attacks. What we have to do personally is the things outlined above. Or just don't go to those places. Since we're all social creatures we'll have to find the happy median and do things like carry a gun anyway. Maybe just our big ink pen. Maybe just have a sharp mind that's ready to react.

There are lots of things we can do to be "more ready."

At the moment, I think the most important thing any of us can do is simply be in better physical shape than we used to be and to constantly work on the stupid people we interact with who are hellbent on giving this country away. Invite them to the range. Strike up prepping with them from a canning or food perspective instead of combatives. Maybe take the first aid angle. Eventually, they can come around. They do want to live, afterall.

If we want to defeat terrorism we have to have those folks on our side as well.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Read up on when/where these things happen. As noted, it's kind of hard to fight back against a suicide bomber but it's not super hard to avoid places that might get bombed.

Some folks say things like, "If we stop going places we like... the terrorists win." They're not wrong but the terrorists don't care about that. They'll continue to hit the softest targets they can with the biggest impact. Here in America, that'll be places like schools, malls, hospitals, stadiums/theaters, etc., because you simply cannot harden those targets hard enough to stop all terror attacks. What we have to do personally is the things outlined above. Or just don't go to those places. Since we're all social creatures we'll have to find the happy median and do things like carry a gun anyway. Maybe just our big ink pen. Maybe just have a sharp mind that's ready to react.

There are lots of things we can do to be "more ready."

At the moment, I think the most important thing any of us can do is simply be in better physical shape than we used to be and to constantly work on the stupid people we interact with who are hellbent on giving this country away. Invite them to the range. Strike up prepping with them from a canning or food perspective instead of combatives. Maybe take the first aid angle. Eventually, they can come around. They do want to live, afterall.

If we want to defeat terrorism we have to have those folks on our side as well.

Good advice, especially on the medical. Fighters get the fight part, but everyone gets the need for medical (though most will not do anything about it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Each person has to decide for him or her self what sort of risk they want to take to do something. If you go to the mall what sort of risk is it? If you go to a ball game what sort of risk is it? Are you willing to take that risk?

If you are willing to take the risk you need to be armed to what is legal. The more people that carry to events the better chances we all will have.

Now if some nut has a bomb strapped to his chest or bombs are placed around the event I don't see a lot you could do about that. That is part of the risk of life we take in to days world.

We all take risks every time we get in a car or get in a bus, train, plain or walk down the street.

Some people jump out of planes for fun. Some boat, dive and climb. All things we do that we think are fun have risks that we think are worth taking.

What I am trying to say is that we now have a new risk to life that we didn't ask for. What are the chances that any of us will face a bomber? 1 in 1000? 1 in 1,000,000, I have no idea. I know that they have for years been bombing places all around the world and we have only had one go off at a race in Boston. Did people quit running in races or quit going to them? I would say some did but for the most part life goes on for most of us.

Live your life to the fullest that you are comfortable with and enjoy your life. They claim we only live once.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Paris attack did change my perspective on carry. I'm not going to hide indoors, but my desire to go to places that disarm us sure has dropped.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I do not attend Stadium functions any more.
    I do not dis-arm at the market etc.
    No large crowds either.

It is only prudent. People have been wanting to ignore their environment for much too long. Many in the current population think that Freedom and Liberty have come to mean someone else is the responsible adult and they get to do whatever they want without concern for the consequences from any of their actions physical or fiscal.

Time for more adults.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I've been doing this for a long time. The recent murder spree in Paris only illustrated why it has been a good ongoing policy.
    A wolf knows not to go where the sheep and sheep dogs roam together at the will of the sheep rancher.

We always talk sheep and wolves. Living it now, I realize there are always a minimum of 4 players. If you are a wolf, it's 3 against 1, stick to the trails you know.

The 5th player is other wolves not of your pack. It gets messy fast at the middle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Top Bottom