• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I have a Sig P320 that I shoot pretty well by my standards, but I notice that when I concentrate on prepping the trigger, there is movement in the slide, as first evidenced by the red dot moving up and down. I’d say it moves an inch and a half sighting at 15’.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this, how much it affects your accuracy, and if anything can be physically done to the gun to tighten it up?

A buddy explained that it is because of the trigger module being less connected to the slide vs the standard trigger that is without the modularity.
    Wasn’t sure if the is the case on any other gun?
    This seems to be the case more with striker type handguns than hammer. So long as it’s consistent it probably won’t matter at practical distances.

If you’re going for the most accuracy, perhaps you could smooth some of the striker/ trigger components. Maybe even a different trigger group.

The slop may not be totally avoidable on a 320.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lots of threads on SigTalk, GlockTalk, etc on this as well.

Here's a video (not mine). First part of the video shows what I believe we are discussing here.

The second part of the video shows the slide moving forward as trigger is pulled (I haven't seen that in the one of my 320's that I tested)

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This seems to be the case more with striker type handguns than hammer. So long as it’s consistent it probably won’t matter at practical distances.

If you’re going for the most accuracy, perhaps you could smooth some of the striker/ trigger components. Maybe even a different trigger group.

The slop may not be totally avoidable on a 320.
    I put a gray guns trigger in it, it’s pretty nice.

Got to fool around with it some more, and a p320 legion doesn’t do it at all. That info combined with cedartop’s may mean it’s just the individual gun.

It moves about an inch at 7 feet, about half that with an empty mag in, and very little with one bullet in the mag.
    ETA I don’t have the end to end slide movement like in the video, just up and down.

I tried making a video but need a rest or something. Not all that worried about it, just wont count on that last shot.

Thanks guys for your input on this.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Check yo grip. (especially your support hand)
    Not sure why.
    Can’t find it right now but I believe it’s Aaron Cowan that does this funny 2 finger grip, basically thumb and trigger finger only on the gun, I can shoot holes touching groups doing this, and with full proper grip my groups go downhill, and my take on this is that my grip does introduce error.
    All this to say that it’s not a grip issue, the slide bounces up and down on the frame as you tension the trigger just up before it breaks and let it go back forward.

I might have a grip issue but this isn’t it.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    This is a fairly common issue with the P320, based on the design of the FCU. I've also seen P365s do this to the point where owner's sold them because it was so distracting.

Having said that, trying to hold the dot perfectly steady while "prepping" a SAO trigger is probably not going to get you where you want to go. Dots are meant to be shot with target focus, and the best "dot" gunners I know have developed the mantra "see dot, shoot dot." In other words, they're looking at the TARGET, bringing the gun into their line of sight, and when the dot crosses the spot they want to shoot, they press the trigger. They're not staring at the dot the way we old timers stare at our front sight...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is a fairly common issue with the P320, based on the design of the FCU. I've also seen P365s do this to the point where owner's sold them because it was so distracting.

Having said that, trying to hold the dot perfectly steady while "prepping" a SAO trigger is probably not going to get you where you want to go. Dots are meant to be shot with target focus, and the best "dot" gunners I know have developed the mantra "see dot, shoot dot." In other words, they're looking at the TARGET, bringing the gun into their line of sight, and when the dot crosses the spot they want to shoot, they press the trigger. They're not staring at the dot the way we old timers stare at our front sight...
    I am still working on the dot but that is what I try to do. When the dot shows up, I send it. I still need to work on that low left issue though...Mike Seeklander was saying the other day when we were having beer that I need to grip, then pull the trigger. Not grip and pull the trigger.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    I am still working on the dot but that is what I try to do. When the dot shows up, I send it. I still need to work on that low left issue though...Mike Seeklander was saying the other day when we were having beer that I need to grip, then pull the trigger. Not grip and pull the trigger.
    YES. If you're squeezing your hands WHILE pulling the trigger, it's going to be very hard to overcome low-leftitis.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Lots of threads on SigTalk, GlockTalk, etc on this as well.

Here's a video (not mine). First part of the video shows what I believe we are discussing here.

The second part of the video shows the slide moving forward as trigger is pulled (I haven't seen that in the one of my 320's that I tested)

I think I'd offload any pistol that did something like this.

Glocks tend to shift around a TINY imperceptible amount when you dry fire without a magazine, but it's only a horizontal shake. My walthers don't do it at all.

If you were having to fight this as you were learning to shoot with a dot, you might as well hang it up. That would be incredibly distracting. Not that you couldn't work out a zero that'd make it practically irrelevant.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Glocks tend to shift around a TINY imperceptible amount when you dry fire without a magazine, but it's only a horizontal shake. My walthers don't do it at all.

If you were having to fight this as you were learning to shoot with a dot, you might as well hang it up. That would be incredibly distracting. Not that you couldn't work out a zero that'd make it practically irrelevant.
    I tend to think similar to this, as opposed to those that say don’t worry about it, but that being said I was trying to learn the dot on a FNX 45 tac with a Trijicon, and the larger window of the Romeo on this got me through a lot, so I did learn on this.
    At this point I’d say it doesn’t affect accuracy but I want to do more work with it. I think the key is that it doesn’t move with a loaded magazine.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Back and forth movement is common in striker fired guns, it's the trigger bar pulling off the striker to release.

Up and down movement is not normal. I've never seen it in an m&p or glock.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Back and forth movement is common in striker fired guns, it's the trigger bar pulling off the striker to release.

Up and down movement is not normal. I've never seen it in an m&p or glock.
    When I owned a P320 I do recall the slide moving up and down during trigger squeeze during dry fire. I don’t think it was noticeably distracting with open sights but I can see where it would be annoying with an RDS.

Maybe it’s because it’s been a long time since I worried about precision shooting but I don’t look at this as Bullseye Pistol or whatever they call it these days. When it comes to defensive handguns or rifles good enough is good enough. Don’t overthink it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Absolutely.
    If this is a known issue why even buy one unless you had no idea but seriously folks. If I experienced this on any gun it would be returned to manf and sold ASAP upon return. Period. This is just wrong.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I used to have a video that illustrated the up and down movement of the new sigs and if I recall it was from a thread on another forum saying the military was having issues with em, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Either way like I said, back and forth is normal for a striker fired pistol because it's an action of the striker spring fighting the recoil spring.

Up and down on the other hand, I can't see any scenario where that's a good thing.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    There ya go found it. Watch the gap between slide and frame.

Never seen a glock or m&p do that. Seem back and forth due to people messing with recoil and striker springs trying to lighten trigger pulls, but never up and down.

FF75BCD8-1BC0-495A-A853-1D70A11C4089.gif

Top Bottom