• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    One thing i have noticed is people should shop around more. Most of the items at DT you can get cheaper elsewhere. bottles of alcohol for example. $1 at DT. 97 cents at Walmart. Cheese crackers that is sold at DT for a buck you could go to Save-a-lot and get double the amount of name brand ones for $1.99. Popsicles.. a 4 pack at DT for a buck or get the same thing at Kroger in a 12 pack for $1.99. Ok I doubt anybody is stocking up on popsicles for shtf, but i am just going by the things i remember from the last time I was in there. Bottom line is that just because they sell so much there for only $1 you may find it in a better brand, cheaper if you shop around.
    +1 on Save-a-lot. Lots of long shelf life food for very low prices.

I make a habit of getting a can of off-brand SPAM type product every time I'm at Dollar Tree. $1 and you get a glob of protein, fat, and salt. Not good long term diet, but in a survival situation it is good to keep you going.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Heck yeah, not good for you, but for shtf diet spam type products and peanut butter have really good protein and fat ratios and peanut butter throws some carbs in there.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    I agree there are things I like to get at Dollar Tree but you need to be aware of how much you are getting for the price on a lot of stuff like one of the above posts mentioned. Check the ounces compared to what you can get elsewhere. A lot of things I like to wait until Kroger puts it on sale because I get fuel points and can use coupons. I think Dollar Tree takes coupons too, but I don't usually have coupons for the things I like to buy there. I also like Aldi's for canned goods if you have one near you and they usually have some great prices on produce for your everyday needs. :)

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    So i recently went to dollar tree, one of the better and still $1 for everything stores. And i was looking around and seeing all the potential preps. Such as -

100 Bandages in a box for $1
    Rubbing alcohol/Hydrogen peroxide in a large bottle
    Knock off neosporin
    Bulk razors - 10 for $1
    Bulk tooth brushes - 6 for $1
    Big boxes of matches
    Etc Etc

is this a good idea? or should i be paying 5 times the price for quality.

Thank you for the replies :)

I do it all the time. Ibuprofen is Ibuprofen, don't matter what's on the label... I get all my prep meds out of the walmart and dollar store bulk bins for under a dollar.

Preping is a journey. If you rush out and buy a bomb shelter and fill it food tomorrow, we'd all worry about you. Since none of us know when the SHTF, then no one can really say when you need to be prepared by. Take your time, don't burden your family financially over a crazy hunch or feeling. Prepping in its essential element is about being responsible and practical. Putting your family in debt doesn't sound very responsible to me.

I spend about $25.00/mo on things i can afford. If i want something that cost more, such as a generator, I save... It's simple. Save, spend a little here and there, and live your life. It's all insurance anyway.

No one ever went out and spent their life savings on life insurance and lived to tell about it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    As stated above, you can get name brand/higher quality items almost as cheap, if you use coupons and wait for items to go on sale. I have cabinets full of Colgate toothpaste, name brand deodorants, toothbrushes, bar soaps, razors, feminine products, mouthwash, real deal neosporin, rubbing alcohol, the list goes on and on. Most of those items were a dollar or less, and in some cases, free after using a coupon combined with sale prices.

Top Bottom