• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Trump is "co-hosting" on Rush Limbaugh today. As of now he's been talking for 30 minutes with no commercial breaks and he sounds great. His voice is strong, he's joking around. It's a solid conversation all around.

Anyone that claims he's hiding symptoms or still suffering from ill effects of COVID is full of horse ****.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Trump is "co-hosting" on Rush Limbaugh today. As of now he's been talking for 30 minutes with no commercial breaks and he sounds great. His voice is strong, he's joking around. It's a solid conversation all around.

Anyone that claims he's hiding symptoms or still suffering from ill effects of COVID is full of horse ****.
    Then it was clearly a conspiracy to get sympathy before the election

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bankruptcy does not change my opinion of people at all. The old thinking of my fathers generation is just that, old and outdated. So many acceptable reasons to be more forgiving today than in my fathers era. There is just so much beyond the people's control.

In 1977 a friend has a serious accident and needs high level orthopedic surgery, they had no insurance at that time, it cost just $800 for hospital, doctors, and all the rest. It saved his limb. Adjusted for inflation that $800 is about $2500 today, that surgery would cost $60,000 today. His family scraped and paid the $800, but to try and pay the $60,000 today? I would not look down on folks so situated filing bankruptcy.

A young couple buys a new construction house in 2006, with an FHA loan, just like huge majorities of us have for decades to get their first home. Then, due to Wall Street shenanigans the economy goes belly up, one of them loses their job, but so did many in their neighborhood, so home values are down and they have to declare bankruptcy. You looking down at them?

Unfortunately top level real estate is a very volatile business, and the fortunes can change through no negligence on the part of the developer. They are at a ridiculous level of dependance on politicians approval, and long term economic conditions. Any of that goes bad, and bingo a project goes bankrupt. Now get out of your head that bankrupt is bailing because in many cases it is not. It is a reorganization to give the developers time to get back on track. (I know nothing of Trump particulars.)

What standard should we hold you to? Let he without sin cast the first stone...

So reducing it to a pragmatic level, you have 2 friends that want you to help out by loaning them a down payment on a car. One had declared bankruptcy a couple of times due to financial mismanagement not medical conditions or some other
    unforeseen circumstances and the other hadn't, thr bankruptcies would not make your pros/cons list?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wouldn't be the first time.

giphy.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Without speaking to people that abuse the system, I can see bankruptcy protection being an encouragement to innovate and take chances. You know Henry Ford had an auto company before FMC, and it went bankrupt. I would argue that a way to prevent the failure of a company or idea from also ruining the man doing the innovation can only enhance innovation and invention

Ok, are you implying there is, not in the legal sense as we know there is,, and should be a difference in our perspectives between corporate and personal bankruptcy?

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So reducing it to a pragmatic level, you have 2 friends that want you to help out by loaning them a down payment on a car. One had declared bankruptcy a couple of times due to financial mismanagement not medical conditions or some other
    unforeseen circumstances and the other hadn't, thr bankruptcies would not make your pros/cons list?

This seems like judgment that conflates poor financial decision-making with a poor morals/bad character. It may be unwise to loan money to someone who makes poor financial decisions, while that same person is otherwise of good morals/character.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I don't have any friends who don't have money and/or automobiles

Ok, are you implying there is, not in the legal sense as we know there is,, and should be a difference in our perspectives between corporate and personal bankruptcy?

I don't think you are tracking the gist. Bankruptcy, like being part of an LLC, to me is a way to limit an individual's financial exposure to business risks so that a business failure doesn't ruin the individual's personal finances and thus encourages risk-taking in entrepreneurship. Financial institutions or investors would be expected to have concluded the investment had a potential return that was worth the level of risk

In the case of personal bankruptcy, it would seem the same due diligence should be required and the business extending credit should have concluded the interest rate they were charging made the risk of non-payment worthwhile. I don't see how you can make the moral judgement you so obviously wish to make without a complete and thorough knowledge of all of the circumstances surrounding the bankruptcy, and even then Matthew 7:1 should certainly apply

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This seems like judgment that conflates poor financial decision-making with a poor morals/bad character. It may be unwise to loan money to someone who makes poor financial decisions, while that same person is otherwise of good morals/character.

Seems doesn't mean is. Its neither necessary or sufficient but could be correlative

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Considering the swarms of TDS zombies I'd say that yes, he must be a carrier.
    Oh wow, just thought of something. A new carrier named the Donald J. Trump.
    I like it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Is that even an apple.
    This is more like a mango.

Come on man.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well if the reasons for the bankruptcy matters that would imply that your views on a person would be impacted by the bankruptcy at least long enough to find out why.

OK.......

1st...I really have no business even knowing. There may come a reason but if it is just you and I then no. Same for taxes.

2nd.....the laws are in place for good reasons and the courts decide if you get to use them. I know several business men that have exorcised these laws for various reasons and the courts saw fit to let them proceed. None of that changed my opinion on them as a person.

Medical is a primary reason to default. Very common in these days of insane medical costs.
    Financial mismanagement is between the person filing and the courts. If I was aware of the mismanagement and was approached for funds then "I"....Not unlike a bank would look at this carefully. We have in the past helped a couple of family's that were devastated by drugs or similar insanity but mainly to help the kids. I have a dim view of a man that drinks and smokes up the rent. Or a couple that runs 5 CC's up to live LaVita Loca and defaults.

Trump did none of those things.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s worth drawing a distinction between personal and business bankruptcy. In private life bankruptcy is a fair sign that someone has a hard time managing their money. Not always. Sometimes **** happens. With business there’s the same mind of **** happens thing, where it’s not necessarily irresponsible behavior that gets you to that point. But also there is the practice of using bankruptcy as a financial tool. Personally I think that is immoral, because you’re trying to get out of paying creditors what they’re owed.

Top Bottom