• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hey guys, let's try not refer to them as "Dreamers" and call them what they are, "Illegal Aliens". Referring to them as dreamers just continues to promote the liberals spin. ;)

It the OP is correct, then given the definition of "Dreamers" by our current administration, I would have no issue with a pardon. Dreamers have committed no crimes, and consider themselves American. Dreamers isn't a catch all for all illegals, there's several significant differences.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It the OP is correct, then given the definition of "Dreamers" by our current administration, I would have no issue with a pardon. Dreamers have committed no crimes, and consider themselves American. Dreamers isn't a catch all for all illegals, there's several significant differences.

If they are living in the country illegally, which is to say no green card, visa, actively involved in the path to (legal) citizenship, etc., then they have indeed committed a crime.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If they are living in the country illegally, which is to say no green card, visa, actively involved in the path to (legal) citizenship, etc., then they have indeed committed a crime.

No, not really. Dreamers were juveniles when they entered the country, brought into the nation by their parents, who committed the actual crime.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No, not really. Dreamers were juveniles when they entered the country, brought into the nation by their parents, who committed the actual crime.

But by staying here without going through proper channels like I mentioned, they are still committing an illegal act. I have no problem if they are indeed seeking a path to citizenship or at least resident alien status, but if they are not, then their presence is indeed illegal.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    This is interesting. I assumed that someone had to be convicted of something in order to receive a pardon. I suppose history has proven me wrong. The idea of innocent until proven guilty seems to not apply with pardons, or I am thinking of a pardon wrong. I understood a pardon to basically grant forgiveness of a crime committed. With a basic elementary understanding of the idea of "innocent until proven guilty," the dreamers or Hillary Clinton have not legally committed a crime unless they receive a trial and are convicted. So, maybe a better way to describe a pardon is that it can be forgiveness of a crime or potential crime. When pardoning for a potential crime, how specific do they need to be? So, theoretically, could a President pardon me for any potential crimes I may commit in the future? Kind of a blanket per say... Now, that would make life interesting and fun!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But by staying here without going through proper channels like I mentioned, they are still committing an illegal act. I have no problem if they are indeed seeking a path to citizenship or at least resident alien status, but if they are not, then their presence is indeed illegal.

Technically correct (which is the best knid of correct!), but I have some sympathy for their plight.

If you grew up in America (well, you did actually) and love America more than any other country (which you do), would you voluntarily pack up and head to Mexico? :dunno:

I'm not saying what's right or what's wrong, but asking you to consider it from their point of view.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Technically correct (which is the best knid of correct!), but I have some sympathy for their plight.

If you grew up in America (well, you did actually) and love America more than any other country (which you do), would you voluntarily pack up and head to Mexico? :dunno:

I'm not saying what's right or what's wrong, but asking you to consider it from their point of view.

Should I make a list of every mistake a parent can make that has negative consequences on their children? This is just one more. That being said, I have always favored a path to citizenship, but it's a a path...not waving a magic wand and it's done.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Should I make a list of every mistake a parent can make that has negative consequences on their children? This is just one more. That being said, I have always favored a path to citizenship, but it's a a path...not waving a magic wand and it's done.

This avoids the issue. Obviously, there are plenty of parents that have made decisions that have negatively impacted their children. And I can't think of a particular instance where that negative instance is agreed upon as something that "should" impact those kids. Do you think that a parents bad actions should be allowed to punish their children, if it can be avoided?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Punish? prosecuted for a crime? No (not that this was ever on the table). However, we should not incentivize bringing children over the border illegally. If the children are allowed to stay, this is exactly what happens. It adversely effects the children, and this is their parent's fault. Wholly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Punish? prosecuted for a crime? No (not that this was ever on the table). However, we should not incentivize bringing children over the border illegally. If the children are allowed to stay, this is exactly what happens. It adversely effects the children, and this is their parent's fault. Wholly.

I think this is very reasonable. However, as for what's on the table, there are a sizeable number of people who want everyone who is not here legally to be deported. I suppose some would call that "punishment".

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    William Jefferson Clinton has to be the biggest winner in this category. He was impeached and lost his license to practice law, but still remained in office,

Sorry, my bad; I mis-read the message title. It says Pard-ons, with a "P"

Top Bottom