• ...and so much more!
  • djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Hi,

I'm thinking about doing some kydex work for holsters. I am getting carpet installed next week and they are putting in higher quality padding (not rebond). Best I can tell it's urethane foam. Was considering using some scraps to make a kydex press. Will this hold up in a kydex press well enough for occasional work? Or do I need to order the good stuff? $20 for a couple pieces of foam seems ridiculous. Also, I like the idea of being able to change the number of layers.

Thanks,
    Dan

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Youch! That's expensive stuff. I'd rather not buy twice though.

OK. Another question... Have any of you guys tried bonding instead of/or supplementing rivets/eyelets/grommets? Using PVC cement, PVC primer, or THF-MEK mixtures?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Youch! That's expensive stuff. I'd rather not buy twice though.

OK. Another question... Have any of you guys tried bonding instead of/or supplementing rivets/eyelets/grommets? Using PVC cement, PVC primer, or THF-MEK mixtures?

I can't discourage you from this enough.

You are carrying a gun in that holster. A tool that is feared by people who truly do not understand anything about it other than the evenings news, 20/20, or what is on primetime dramas.
    You are carrying it in a place that will absorb moisture, sweat, salt, and will constantly be shocked and knocked into. Nothing short of rivets will hold it together permanently AND keep your gun from falling on the floor when you REALLY don't want it to.

Knifekits.com. Buy something here or there, or have someone here make you something. It's really not that difficult, and for less than 50 bucks you can be making all sorts of stuff.

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Good foam and heavy duty clamps for your press are pretty important for getting good definition.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Looks like a wealth of info over there! Thanks!

Regarding the adhesives they create quite strong weld joints rather than just sticking to the surface. I only mention it because it seems that rivets are put in tension in this application rather than sheer, which they handle better. I do understand that peeling is usually adhesives weakness and that applies here as well.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    In regards to rivets***,,myself and a co-worker took one of my holsters and tried to find its breaking point. He grabbed on side of the holster (thru the open holster mouth) and I grabbed the other. It took a lot of work, hard pulling using both of our body weight and took about 5 mins to pull and pop those rivets out of the Kydex. I cant see how glued kydex could last that long.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom