• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Meal in a jar! I may have to try that as well. Is everything pretty much 90mins for quart jars? Every recipe I've seen so far is 75/90 (pt/qt).

Depends....virtually any canned product with meat is going to be 90 mins.

Tomatoes are 10 mins at 11 lbs
    Green Beans are 20-22 mins at 11 lbs
    Never try to can pasta....it just turns into mush.

Meat of any kind I go 90 mins at 11 lbs.

If your pressure climbs up a little bit, it's fine....never let it get below 10 lbs though. If it drops below 10lbs, start the timer over as soon as you get it up to 11 lbs

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Meal in a jar! I may have to try that as well. Is everything pretty much 90mins for quart jars? Every recipe I've seen so far is 75/90 (pt/qt).

Sorry I wasn't clear. She doesn't can the entire meal, just the green beans. I was just pointing out that I like canned green beans. However, it is super easy to just cut up the sausage and potatoes, throw in a jar of green beans and let it cook covered til the potatoes are done.

cornbelt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Vincennes
    Can I use the basket from my water-bath canner on bottom and put new tray on top?
    Yep.
    Something that makes canning easier is to use a weight on the canner for controlling the pressure. Heat still needs turned down as the canner heats up, but if you can hear it spurt once in a while, you can do other things. The valve you open to let the pressure is probably a 1/8" pipe thread, which will fit a conversion:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mirro-Stem...718274?hash=item34225b7442:g:XmcAAOSwfopeSb9B
    Beats staring at the guage.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Can I use the basket from my water-bath canner on bottom and put new tray on top?
    Yep.
    Something that makes canning easier is to use a weight on the canner for controlling the pressure. Heat still needs turned down as the canner heats up, but if you can hear it spurt once in a while, you can do other things. The valve you open to let the pressure is probably a 1/8" pipe thread, which will fit a conversion:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mirro-Stem...718274?hash=item34225b7442:g:XmcAAOSwfopeSb9B
    Beats staring at the guage.

I prefer to watch a calibrated gauge.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I prefer to watch a calibrated gauge.
    Agreed. It's an excuse to play a family game at the table while I monitor.

So far I've done ok. 1 7-qt batch of chili, and a 14-qt batch of beans. Only had 2 jars not seal. Giving it a break for a week is so until we make another big batch of soup.
    18ce2ecf387c2c51347360a650c175c1.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Pinto beans? Did you can them hard and uncooked? Looks great. Might add a wee bit more water next time....but they'll be delicious I'm sure.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Pinto beans? Did you can them hard and uncooked? Looks great. Might add a wee bit more water next time....but they'll be delicious I'm sure.
    Soaked and rinsed. Did not pre cook to help keep firmness. Just added boiling water to mix (onion slicers, beans, and seasoning). The loss of liquid was siphoning. I added water to within 1" of rim. 2nd batch looked way better.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Soaked and rinsed. Did not pre cook to help keep firmness. Just added boiling water to mix (onion slicers, beans, and seasoning). The loss of liquid was siphoning. I added water to within 1" of rim. 2nd batch looked way better.

Absolutely love caned homemade bean soup. Looks good!

I make "Cowboy Beans" - they're baked beans with sausage, smoked sausage, and a bunch of seasonings and diced tomatoes....as soon as they come out of the oven I jar them up and give them 90 mins in the pressure canner. They're like a jar of summertime.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Seems like a few are having problems with jars not sealing. I know it was only 1 or 2 a batch but I consider that too many. I do quite a bit of canning and rarely have a lid not pop. Are you making sure the top of the jar is clean and free of anything. Are you boiling your rings and flats before using?.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Seems like a few are having problems with jars not sealing. I know it was only 1 or 2 a batch but I consider that too many. I do quite a bit of canning and rarely have a lid not pop. Are you making sure the top of the jar is clean and free of anything. Are you boiling your rings and flats before using?.

That's a good point. I've only had one or two not pop in the 10 or so years I've been canning.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Yes I clean/sterilize all jars, rings, and lids beforehand. Wipe them with a paper towel damp with vinegar before lid applied. Not sure why.

All of my lids go in a warm water bath for 10 minutes before I start using them. Wipe the jar mouths off then put the rings and lids on. I don't wipe with vinegar.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you depressurize the canner too fast, siphoning can occur and that can ruin the seal sometimes.

It's best to just let the canner cool and depressurize on its own...even though it takes forever.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ex got me a small one awhile back. After seeing this thread the other day I made round steak, potatoes and onions for supper in the smaller of the two lots it came with. Delicious. The bigger pot MIGHT hold four quarts. Still, I'm eager to try a little canned hamburger. We'll see.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Wife made a big batch of taco soup last night. Enough to can 6 qts and feed 5 of us for 2 days. Gonna end up needing lots more jars before garden is harvested.
    f50a1acd55f469cbe54d4a8ba8c6a698.jpg

Top Bottom