Private party sales - what's the common etiquette?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In addition to all of the above, I have done a couple of deals in the parking lot of Atkinson Firearms ? Firefighter owned firearms store in Greenwood, Indiana..

I have gone in the store both times after the sale/buy was done and the owner asked me why we didn't come in and sit down to do our transaction. I usually buy a box of ammo or something while I'm there.

How many firefighters are selling their guns such that they need a store for all of them?

Maybe change it to "Firefighter Favored Firearms" to make it a tongue twister.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    How many firefighters are selling their guns such that they need a store for all of them?

Maybe change it to "Firefighter Favored Firearms" to make it a tongue twister.

This is as bad as the Presbyterian Resale Shop that was downtown Valpo.

What exactly does one do with a used Presbyterian?
    Why are they for sale?
    Did someone get a new Presbyterian so they're selling their old one?

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I’ve done a few transaction here. I’m a SoIN boy so I don’t do a lot but the people here are fairly well vetted. Now, as I mentioned in another thread here, if I’m using Armslist I ask for LTCH. But here? Cash and a handshake.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I believe the city of Greenwood has a couple parking spaces at the fire dept. marked for private sales of any legal type.
    Exit 99 off of I 65 S. becomes main street and the FD is about a mile west of I 65.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    According to Armslist, You should be willing to take $150 less than the asking price and be willing to deliver your product to the seller along with some ammo.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    According to Armslist, You should be willing to take $150 less than the asking price and be willing to deliver your product to the seller along with some ammo.

I have sold a few guns on INGO, but the last 2 or 3, I priced very well and got nothing but crickets here. I never fail to get my asking price on Armslist, usually multiple offers. Just sold a like-new CZ P10F with night sights for $380...sat on INGO for several hours without a nibble, had multiple offers at asking price in less than 30 minutes on Armslist. Sold it to a US Army soldier in uniform with Indiana ID and LTCH on his lunch break.

On any classified ad site, the other end of the spectrum is the guy who only has 500 rounds through his like-new Glock and wants his money + tax back before he will sell.

No lowballers, he knows what he's got.

:):

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have sold a few guns on INGO, but the last 2 or 3, I priced very well and got nothing but crickets here. I never fail to get my asking price on Armslist, usually multiple offers. Just sold a like-new CZ P10F with night sights for $380...sat on INGO for several hours without a nibble, had multiple offers at asking price in less than 30 minutes on Armslist. Sold it to a US Army soldier in uniform with Indiana ID and LTCH on his lunch break.

On any classified ad site, the other end of the spectrum is the guy who only has 500 rounds through his like-new Glock and wants his money + tax back before he will sell.

Seen a similar ad here shot a few rds through it and wants what they paid for it. Sometimes the reason people dont bite is distance. Living in the Northwest corner seeing great deals in Indy, Ft Wayne, or E-ville means a long drive. The deals I have made at those distances were all pleasant and the sellers came down a few bucks for me driving the distance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    INGO classifieds don't get the eyes that it once did. A lot of INGOers will look or take their items for sale to other sites before they will our classifieds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe the city of Greenwood has a couple parking spaces at the fire dept. marked for private sales of any legal type.
    Exit 99 off of I 65 S. becomes main street and the FD is about a mile west of I 65.

I have met up with Ingo people in some interesting places. Only 1 issue oh so long ago and it was on one the reasons we have pics in the ads now. Yes that is kinda my fault but not all my fault. Drove 2 solid hours to buy a scoped rifle. When I arrived the seller was late and when he rolled up my spidy senses were tingling. He was a dirt bag and the rifle was nothing like stated in the ad. Looked like a truck gun. I mean the bed of the truck gun. He was using his deceased dads account to sell junk. Never been that mad at Ingo or a member there of which he was not either. Long talk with Fenway on the drive home and again at the Ingo booth. Bingo. Pics.
    Outside of that I have met the greatest people buying and selling here. Yeah some guns are not to be sold here because we have some serious misers but hey....no worries.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Bear in mind armslist is a MUCH wider audience. So of course you are gonna get more bites casting into those waters.

Sometimes the INGOers just arent into what you are selling. BTDT. :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Of course for the Canadian contingent it is even harder since there are relatively few of us up here on the INGO.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Bear in mind armslist is a MUCH wider audience. So of course you are gonna get more bites casting into those waters.
    Also more likely to get "bitten" in one way or another doing the deal.:stretcher: I ask to see an INDL and LTCH and depending on my spidey sense I may not even look at those. I figure if a guy agrees to let you look at that info before the meet he's probably on the up and up. There's always Itrader ratings if a person has been doing some deals on INGO, that will tell you a lot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    All of the sales I've done except for transactions with friends or guys I train with have been through INGO. I may be off here but I feel like the community here is almost "pre-vetted". Never had a problem with anything I've done through INGO.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just bought one from a fellow INGOer this week. We met in a local business parking lot, I handed him my DL and LTC to look over and he handed me the gun to look over. Handed him the cash and we stood and BS'd for about 15 minutes or so then left. Perfect transaction.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I sold a gun in the Greenwood Gander Mtn parking lot to another INGOer a while back. He joked that he'd bought and sold more guns in their lot than they did in the store.

As for "pre-vetted".......If I don't personally know you, you are not "vetted" by any means regardless of what forum you frequent. The first time I listed a gun in the classifieds here, a member made an offer that made me think he had something to hide. He didn't want to show any ID, said he wanted "no paper trail", and argued that it wasn't required. Well, it's pretty simple. You wanta' buy my gun, you play by my rules. One rule is we meet in a very public place.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I've sold guns on Armslist but am always a little wary because Feedback is not available. If I did not know the person, I have asked them to meet me at the office of an FFL license holder in Lebanon who will gladly transfer your firearm (with background check) for $20. Looking forward to seeing what sales on Ingo are like!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ...always be specific in your ad about any and all arbitrary rules you require to purchase or trade so that the majority of us can pass right on by without wasting everyone's time.

Top Bottom