• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Meanwhile, back to the topic.

It seems that society has accepted the fact, through existing law, that civil rights trump property rights, which trump 2A rights.

It doesn't seem consistent to me, and I'll agree with the others who say that if I privately own property, even a business, I should be able to restrict access to anyone for any reason.

Should the government really have the power to force associations on private citizens? They clearly do, but I don't think they should.

Half of INGO thinks it's okay for the government to force property owners to allow their employees to have firearms on the property. It should come as no surprise that society would feel the same about the use of government to compel people to behave in particular ways.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Property rights should trump all rights period. If you are on private property willingly then you should have to play by their rules no matter how stupid, racist, sexist they are. It's THEIR property. It's unwise for a business to take an unpopular stance. If someone wants to post a sign that says "No Blacks" more power to them, but they will have to pay the price of taking an unpopular position, it will cost them not only the business of those they discriminate against, but also all of those who will be outraged by it too. That seems fair to me.

The US government cannot infringe on our 2A rights, but private businesses should be free to infringe on the rights of whatever customers they please. You don't have to offer your business if you don't agree. Don't subject yourself to something you don't agree with. Problem solved.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I think anyone should be allowed to discriminate against anyone else for any reason, 2nd amendment, race, religion, sex, etc.....

Regarding your post and your tag line (Nothing I own is worth your life and your life means less than the things I own), what do you think Jesus would say about either of those?

After 16 years of Catholic school, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it's your karma, not mine.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Regarding your post and your tag line (Nothing I own is worth your life and your life means less than the things I own), what do you think Jesus would say about either of those?

After 16 years of Catholic school, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it's your karma, not mine.
    I think Jesus also made the comment to the effect of sell your belongings to buy a sword.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I think Jesus also made the comment to the effect of sell your belongings to buy a sword.

No, somebody wrote that in crayon in the margin of your bible.

I sincerely hope you wrote that in jest. If you really believe that, you are seriously confused about Christianity.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012

I sincerely hope you wrote that in jest. If you really believe that, you are seriously confused about Christianity.

I'm not commenting on the sig line, but Jesus did say to "go buy a sword" in Luke 22:36.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What confuses me is why folks want to extend 2A "rights" to private property. The 2nd only limits the government. It doesn't say one lick about limiting an other group.

My own opinion: I have the right to self defense anywhere that I am .In contrast, if someone doesn't want me (or my possessions) on their property, then they can prevent me from entering or ask me to leave. I don't have the right to enter someone's property by force or threat, or by deceit. Property owner's can't prevent me from defending myself if they have allowed me to be there.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

I'm not commenting on the sig line, but Jesus did say to "go buy a sword" in Luke 22:36.

I was not saying it in jest and someone posted up some scripture to back it up.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    First of all, drop the 2a rights nonsense.

The Bill Of Rights ENUMERATE Rights. They do NOT grant or give them.

Rights PRE DATE the Constitution. Remember the Constitution wasn't signed and ratified until 1878. Heck, America had TEN presidents prior to that.

All these questions can be traced back to one simple question: "Who owns it?"

In this case, does the (armed) person have a RIGHT to be there? In the case of business? No. The business owner allows people the PRIVILEGE of visiting/shopping there.

This was very simple and clear cut back before modern day corporations. Corporations are a fictitious entity, created by the government. They don't have Rights, like a human being does. That's another can of worms however.

Back to the topic, a property owner has a RIGHT to deny service, entrance, or whatever.

Under our tyrannical system of law, certain rights of property owners go out the window because they decide to make a living (open a business), such as this idiotic notion of "civil" rights.

It's B.S. An INDIVIDUAL has rights. Society, does not.

Just because the government got it wrong on civil rights, doesn't mean they should get it wrong again.

I agree with others here. I think businesses should be allowed to discriminate in todays information age.

How long do you think McDonalds (or whoever) would last if they put up a sign saying <insert race, sex, sexual orientation here> not allowed?

They'd be out of business in no time. Who would patronize such a place? Very few I suspect.

Wouldn't you like to KNOW the owner of the store you are shopping at is a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe and then take your money else where?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There have only been maybe a dozen places that I have ever seen big signs telling me I am not welcome. I am a CC type, for my own reasons, and I will continue to CC.
    About 1/2 of the time, I have gone to their competitors and made my purchase, maybe even a few extra things. I photo copied the receipt making sure it told the date. I mailed the receipt to their store managers asking them what measures they have done to keep all the customers including my wife and myself safe. Since they do not care about my life and want the freedom to ban me from protecting myself, I will continue to exercise my freedom to spend my money where I feel safe. If it is a corporate business, I send a copy of the letter to the regional or national office. I have never gotten a reply.
    I still feel that I am doing some good. I kind of think the corporate types kind of ignore complaining via email and the internet. If they get enough letters, particularly in this tough economy, maybe they will reconsider.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What I'm wondering is, why do you think this is an accepted legal reality?

Should private property rights be paramount? If not, then what's an acceptable reason to force accommodation?

It's been awhile since I've studied this part of history, so my facts may be off a bit...but the reason it is the way it is is because certain groups of people were discriminated against in "public accommodations" provided by private property owners. Since the "market" was not causing the necessary corrections fast enough, legislation was deemed necessary to remedy this unfairness. More legislation, backed up by court decisions have engrained this paradigm into our societal norms.

People shouldn't refuse to rent property, serve hamburgers, make loans, etc to people based solely on religion, race. etc. but it should be their right to do so. But I don't think you'll ever see this civil rights override of property rights reversed...instead, we have other groups of people seeking to obtain this protected, accommodated status and there are many, even here, that are ok with it.

Top Bottom