• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I'm having issues with consistent velocity. I am using 5.6grs of Unique with CCI primers, 230fmj, Win brass and loading with a 550b. I'm getting a difference of velocity from 80 to 100 fps. Any suggestions?:dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know enough about reloading to get into trouble, but I would start with changing the powder. Have you ever tried Clay? If I'm totally off base let me know.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know enough about reloading to get into trouble, but I would start with changing the powder. Have you ever tried Clay? If I'm totally off base let me know.

Well, I know absolutely nothing about the progressive but have used Unique for over 25 years and consistency would not be my complaint on it. Filfth would be, but because of the wide range of calibers I load and also the range of types of loads I seek, Unique is my primary powder. It's the only powder I buy by the 8 lb containers.

Again, I know nothing about the Dillion, but I would first check the consistency of the charge. If the OP doesn't get a consistant drop/charge, then Que would be right and trying a different powder would be what I would try. The larger flake shaped Unique might not be flowing thru the system the OP is using as well as another powder might.

Now if the OP finds he is dropping a consistant charge, I would take a look at the stated charge. It seems low IMO. With the 230 gr bullets I use, I load 6.0 with the COL at 1.25, but again, check your data. I don't know the bullet you are using and at what COL. So basically, you need to consistantly seal the chamber to get good, consistant velocities.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yeah, I'm also a neophyte reloader, so until Aszerigan or someone else with experience comes along and reads the OP's post first thing would be weighing some of your charges to make sure your powder measure is dropping consistently. Other things that could conceivable affect velocity are inconsistent seating depth, so check OAL. Last thing before I'm out past my knowledge band would be to tell you to examine the degree of taper crimp you may be getting. More crimp = more velocity, as it increases pressure. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have to agree with XtremeVel,seems like a light load fot FMJ.I load the 230gr.FMJ at 6.0 and don't have more than 15-20fps variation.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I'm using Precision Delta bullets. I have tried Bluedot, Unique and Bullseye. when I reload I am in the habit of checking the powder every tenth round and so far they all have been within .1gr.

Thanks for the help

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    powder charges-check
    case lenght? = crimp consistency = over all length
    fresh?reliable primers?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Dillon powder measure works better with a finer powder than Unique. The light loads really need a faster powder than Unique. 8th SPS suggested WW231 ball powder. It is a good suggestion, I shoot a lot of .45 acp, both light bullet target loads and full power ball ammo. These days, I am pretty happy with Hodgdon's Titegroup. There are other good ball powders out there that meter well and are well suited as far as burn rates. That will help you make better reloads. Good Luck

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How are your groups? With the bullet you are using, it is not a bullseye gun, right?

Most folks don't know that they have variations of 100 FPS... Large variations were not uncommon with military 230 FMJ issued ammo.

I agree, there are other powders that meter more consistantly in a progressive than Unique. But it doesn't matter if your ammo groups well. Or at least good enough for your application.

Last edited:

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Its a USPSA gun. My ammo groups well just trying to get a consistent recoil I got some titegroup on order but wont be able to test it for a week due to a trip to Virgina

Once again thanks everyone for the advice

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I don't know if it will help but I have seen old powder act a little odd as compared to new powder with the same bullet, case, and charge.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    try throwing some dirt in your powder... maybe roll your primers on the carpet... dump a little sand in the Dillon....

oh wait, that's what I did last time I swung by! :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I had a similar issue w/ clays under 230s. final solution: shortened my oal by 0.010 and std dev went to 10fps or under.

just something to try after the obvious...
    such as... how concistant are your bullets (dia, length, ogive)?
    -rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I bet you're burning dirty.

Try a bit more crimp. 1/4 turn at a time.

Josh

in .45 auto you should be "crimping" just to remove the bell from the powder funnel, not to squeeze the bullet more. I would be more concerned about crimp consistancy, not so much amount of crimp. If you are equating crimp to initial pressure, I'd start looking at oal.

not sure what you mean by burning dirty... if implying not all powder getting burnt, then there are other problems besides crimp.... powder too slow for application, charge needs adjusting, oal needs adjusting, etc.

-rvb

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    in .45 auto you should be "crimping" just to remove the bell from the powder funnel, not to squeeze the bullet more. I would be more concerned about crimp consistancy, not so much amount of crimp. If you are equating crimp to initial pressure, I'd start looking at oal.

not sure what you mean by burning dirty... if implying not all powder getting burnt, then there are other problems besides crimp.... powder too slow for application, charge needs adjusting, oal needs adjusting, etc.

-rvb

True enough.

I found that with my hardcast 230grn truncated cone, though, that the OAL had to be adjusted, but it still appreciated a bit tighter crimp than I'd previously used, using jacketed bullets.

I guess maybe I should have asked if he was shooting lead or jacketed.

Josh

Top Bottom