• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haycoxjason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Huntingburg
    Yes, the brass has been trimmed. We are using Lee dies. The brass I'm using says LC 92 on the bottom of it. Most of the loads that wont load into my rifle the bolt won't even close all the way. I'm going to take the rifle to the shop I got it from with a few of the loads that won't load, and a few that will. Do you guys think there is any chance that it could be in the rifle?--probably a dumb question on my part.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were having an extraction problem, not a problem with closing the bolt on a loaded round.
    I wonder if this brass has been thru an M249?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Anyone who tells you that Savage has an adjustable bolt in regard to headspace concerns, isn't to be trusted on any matter relating to rifles or reloading.

It isn't your rifle.

Coat one of the non-fitting pieces with marker, hand feed it into your chamber, attempt to close the bolt, then carefully extract it into your hand. You can then see where it is making contact with the chamber to determine which part of the cartridge is preventing you from closing the bolt. In roughly descending order of probability it could be the shoulder, as evidenced by all these die adjustment recommendations. You also have the possibility it is the neck being driven into the throat, so you need a trim. Could be the web is blown out and the brass needs tossed. Could be the necks have burrs or are otherwise outsized and need turned. Could be the brass was previously fired in a loose chamber and if springing back too much after the FL size and needs to go through small base die.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a lot of 223 brass that's been loaded more tiems than I can remember and I've never trimmed them. That's not the issue. When your brass starts acting like it needs trimmed, turn your resizing die another 1/8 of a turn or throw that old stuff away. Honestly, I don't trim mine at all I shoot long range with my 223.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do some google video searches:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4p6HEEEUM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IceAIs_U2U&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_HeUi-wtQQ&feature=related[/ame]

Seriously, google video is an ocean of resources that I really wish I would have had when I first got into reloading.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I had similar problems with this issue also on my 223's.
    I bought 3 different 223 die sets, before I found out I need small base sizer dies.
    Bought the RCBS Sm base sizer, problem solved.

I just seen BigDaddy posted about this also.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Try a different set of dies. Your dies may be out of spec. It happens.

If the bulk of the brass wasn't fitting that would have made the list as well, but even Lee dies can usually crunch brass back into spec. Buying a concentricity gauge would be much better motivation for tossing them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The only Lee dies I use are their factory crimp dies and I love them. Nothing against Lee dies at all and if I hadn't already bought all the dies I needed for the other calibers, and then stumbled on the lee factory crimp die then I'd probably have bought more of them.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you just need to make that small adjustment to the resizing die and you'll be golden. The odds of having an improper die are pretty slim when compared to having a die improperly setup. It's all a part of the learning curve in one of the most addicting hobbies out there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Like the folks above said, yiour rifle shoots factory loads fine, it isn't the rifle.

If the sizing die is screwed all the way down to touch the shell holder, it cannot get any tighter. If that still does not work, there is one more solution, that I have used. If you notice, Redding makes a "competion" shell holder set. I know it sounds like a joke, but it has a purpose. Each shell holder is .002" shorter than the last, so by selecting the proper shell holders, you can actually change how far the sizing die sets the brass size. I had built some minimum spec chambered match rifles, and the ammo I shot for rapid fire events, got sized .004" under stock specification. You can also grind .002" or .004 inches off the shell holder you have and accomplish the same thing. ( be sure to keep it parallel ). The Redding shell holder kit lets you choose and keep sizing for stock spec. ammo, while being able to make smaller spec custom loads. This only really works with tapered cartridges, the shell holder thickness has almost no affect on straight walled cartridges. Good Luck

BTW, Savage rifles can be adjusted to change head spacing by anyone with a Savage Barrel nut Wrench, and action vise and a set of GO/NO GO gauges. Once you are set up, you can even shoot 2 calibers in the same rifle buy changing barrels. But like was said before, if it loads factory ammo, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Thanks for all the input guys! As you all have said it is not the rifle. My stag 6L won't feed the problem cartiges either. It took some finessing to get the cartrige out. I was a wee bit.worried!

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Your stag wont feed? Sounds like it was with my stag. Needed a sm base die.

Burn, I live just a few miles south of you. You want, I can meet you in Vincennes with a few of my loads that I used a sm base resizer on for you to try and feed. It'll help you find out if thats the problem

PM me if you're interrested.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    +1 for MSD.

I'll offer that up as well. If you want, drop by and we can check your chamber dimensions with a Sinclair plug, and size and gauge your ammo. If you make it to Indy, let me know.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lots of great help from the guys on this forum. I just have two little things to add;

It isn't enough to just have the die touching the shellholder. It also must be turned down to eliminate the slack in the press mechanism.

A cartridge sized to fit in a L.E. Wilson case gauge will fit in any like rifle chamber. When resizing rifle brass, I check a sized case every now and again. It only takes a few seconds. These gauges are indespensible to the reloader.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    sloughfoot It isn't enough to just have the die touching the shellholder. It also must be turned down to eliminate the slack in the press mechanism.

What he said. I set my full length resizing dies up so that the shellholder, no cartridge case in it, will come into contact with the die right near the end of the handle stroke and get somewhat tight, then when you push the handle a little harder the press linkage will cam over and the shellholder to die contact will get even tighter.
    And like he said a Wilson case gauge is a necessary tool. Alot of people don't want to spend the money on them, but you have to know if you are at proper dimensions before you get too far along in the process and then find yourself with a batch (bunch) of "problem" loaded ammo.

I don't know what to think about this problem that the OP has.
    I reread the original post, and if I understand correctly this brass was previously fired in this same rifle.
    >>>>Is it once-fired brass?
    >>>>Was it new, unfired brass when you aquired it?
    Possibly the resizing die is not set as described above.
    Maybe the brass has alot of "spring back".
    A die not to spec.
    Some combination of the above.
    I wish I could look at the brass and their setup/technique.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom