• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    C'mon mrjarrell, we wouldn't want things like facts to get in the way of the gratuitous teacher bashing. Don't you know the only reason they went into teaching is so they could indoctrinate our children?
    Bull****. The materials are provided by a third party but the school system made it part of the curriculum.

and it's splitting hairs anyway. The school is indistinguishable from the state. mrjarrell is just obsfucsting the obvious.

ill add that anyone who defends government education is either a hypocrite or in denial.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bull****. The materials are provided by a third party but the school system made it part of the curriculum.and it's splitting hairs anyway. The school is indistinguishable from the state. mrjarrell is just obsfucsting the obvious.ill add that anyone who defends government education is either a hypocrite or in denial.
    I'm not defending the school system or the state. I'm defending teachers, most of whom do a darn fine job within the parameters of the system. The story in the OP is about an idiotic proposal written by an idiotic lawmaker, but of course as usual quickly becomes an opportunity to bash teachers as a whole.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    That particular program was not one by your daughters school. It was the state of Indiana that promoted that particular program. You should talk to your state rep and the governor about it. The teachers had nothing to do with it.
    I don't have the governors ear but I will talk to my state rep about it when I see him again. As far as teaching based on opinion 2+2could equal five based on that logic. For what its worth I don't have a problem with my daughters school or its teachers. Quite frankly they are a breed apart from most of academia and I have a great deal of respect for them to include the ones that buy supplies for the class and gifts for their students out of their own pocket. I guess my problem is with the curriculum and her teacher if her opinion is that every time we turn on a light switch we are driving another nail into the coffin of mother earth.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't have the governors ear but I will talk to my state rep about it when I see him again. As far as teaching based on opinion 2+2could equal five based on that logic. For what its worth I don't have a problem with my daughters school or its teachers. Quite frankly they are a breed apart from most of academia and I have a great deal of respect for them to include the ones that buy supplies for the class and gifts for their students out of their own pocket. I guess my problem is with the curriculum and her teacher if her opinion is that every time we turn on a light switch we are driving another nail into the coffin of mother earth.
    That's not that the boxes and initiative were about. They were about saving money and managing energy and resources to improve your home and the state. Didn't have anything to do with Earthday or the like, (considering they were backed by the major utility companies). Teaching kids to save a few bucks on their power bills is a lesson most of us should be able to get behind.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's not that the boxes and initiative were about. They were about saving money and managing energy and resources to improve your home and the state. Didn't have anything to do with Earthday or the like, (considering they were backed by the major utility companies). Teaching kids to save a few bucks on their power bills is a lesson most of should be able to get behind.

Just for that, I went and turned every light in the house on.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    That's not that the boxes and initiative were about. They were about saving money and managing energy and resources to improve your home and the state. Didn't have anything to do with Earthday or the like, (considering they were backed by the major utility companies). Teaching kids to save a few bucks on their power bills is a lesson most of us should be able to get behind.
    The program was sponsered by Duke Energy. The box had save energy, save the planet. If that translates into save energy, save money then I guess I was all wrong about the lesson, but I got the message.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The program was sponsered by Duke Energy. The box had save energy, save the planet. If that translates into save energy, save money then I guess I was all wrong about the lesson, but I got the message.

I didn't see the handouts being discussed here so if the following was covered, please disregard... I have no problem with the lesson if it was used as an economic/mathematical learning experience. My mom and dad were not concerned with global warming, carbon footprints, or ozone holes but they definitely understood the pocketbook effects my brother and I caused if we left the front door open when we went outside in winter or left our bedroom lights on when we left.

If they're really there to teach how to save money, where it counts, they could have the kids learn how to figure out how long it takes to do simple paybacks for changing out LED bulbs for incandescents or how much it costs if they leave a tv on when they go outside to play. But my cynical side would expect they did their typical green indoctrination, with tons of CO2 stats, generalized cost savings, how many trees would be saved, how many bunnies would be spared, etc.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I didn't see the handouts being discussed here so if the following was covered, please disregard... I have no problem with the lesson if it was used as an economic/mathematical learning experience. My mom and dad were not concerned with global warming, carbon footprints, or ozone holes but they definitely understood the pocketbook effects my brother and I caused if we left the front door open when we went outside in winter or left our bedroom lights on when we left.

If they're really there to teach how to save money, where it counts, they could have the kids learn how to figure out how long it takes to do simple paybacks for changing out LED bulbs for incandescents or how much it costs if they leave a tv on when they go outside to play. But my cynical side would expect they did their typical green indoctrination, with tons of CO2 stats, generalized cost savings, how many trees would be saved, how many bunnies would be spared, etc.

Really? Bunnies spared?

bunny-eating-popcorn-o.gif

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Even home schoolers load their kids up with their own opinions, and they don't include just math, reading, etc....

Homeschoolers are taught by PARENTS. Public School kids, are NOT. Big Difference. Public School teachers are paid to teach the three "R"'s. Not Politics........... :xmad:

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    The whole "No Tolerance" policy had gotten WAY out of hand. We have almost gotten to the point (if we're not there already) where there is no longer a line between private life and where the gov't thinks it knows what's best for you.

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    Even home schoolers load their kids up with their own opinions, and they don't include just math, reading, etc....

My fiancée and I have already decided that we will homeschool our children so that way the "opinions" they form will be based on the truth, not liberal propaganda.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My fiancée and I have already decided that we will homeschool our children so that way the "opinions" they form will be based on the truth, not liberal propaganda.
    He'll just tell you that your "truth" is the personal equivalent of propaganda, which is not completely false. What he doesn't understand (or more likely, refuses to acknowledge) is that it is the parents' prerogative to determine the education of their children, and that includes all non-academic material as well. I'm guessing he's got kids enrolled in the government schools based on his posting history. He's been a defender of Common Core, and noticeably silent on the issue of government schools going beyond their role. Unless he actually believes that it is in the role of government schools to teach kids a morality that may be in direct conflict with the parents. I suppose that's always a possibility.

At any rate, I'm glad to see that you have made the choice to be the decision-maker in your children's education. I favor homeschooling, but realize it's not a choice for every family. I've been homeschooling my 2 boys for the last 3 years and I am a county contact for one of the state's largest networking/support organizations for Indiana homeschoolers. Let me know if I can help in any way.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    So, yeah, this has strayed from the topic. And I'm not about to help. . .

We homeschool our 2 youngest. They excel beyond their public school peers. Most their friends around here are public schooled and are nowhere near their level in math or reading. Actually, I haven't met a single one. It isn't necessarily a lack of education. It's just that we can move forward faster since my kids don't have the distractions or other set backs public schooling comes with. The teacher doesn't have to adhere to "no child left behind" and make my child wait for the kid to catch up whose parent doesn't care, which is one of the big reasons we chose this route for them. When my child has problems understanding, we can tell and address it whereas the public school teacher may not know for a couple days after they grade papers and have already moved on to new material. Kids don't always speak up when they don't understand because they don't want to appear stupid.

My kids do get our propaganda. That's essentially what parenting is. Brainwashing kids to behave the way we believe they should. However, my kids get a lot more than just ours. They are part of a co-op that is comprised of a families from various religions or lack thereof. Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic, Wiccan (or pagan or whatever they call themselves), and atheist. They have more exposure to real culture than they do from a single teacher with opinions that introduces cultures from a book.

My oldest son is public schooled. He prefers it and he excels. He's got several college credits and is a junior in high school. He's got great teachers and he has had some really bad ones. He has had to deal with attempts at indoctrination from one, too. A Christian kept trying to push his agenda. My son is very knowledgable where the Bible is concerned because I believe it is important to know the Bible in the society we live in. Because of our Biblical knowledge essentially surpassing most Christian's, people assume we are Christian if a Biblical discussion comes up. We don't usually advertise otherwise unless asked due to the overt discrimination we have dealt with from some in the past. I mean, one kid was no longer allowed to play with my son because he said he didn't believe in God when the kid tried to get him to go to church.

Anyway, this teacher assumed my son was Christian because my son was debating a Christian kid concerning something the Bible said (the kid was also proselytizing) and proved to know WAY more about the Bible. The subject came up because of what they were studying in a Biblical Literature class both boys had in the period prior. The Bib-Lit class is taught by a man of - if I recall correctly - Pakistani descent. He refuses to allow his class to become a Christian indoctrination class, so he leaves his own religious views out of it. However, from our conversations I think he is actually a Christian and is trying to avoid lawsuits, which is smart. So, he tries very hard to remain objective in the classroom. The other teacher, though, approached my son complimenting him on his knowledge of the Bible. Complimented his parents on how we raised my son to be a strong Christian. Then proceeded to say, "I'm just amazed they let someone like HIM teach Bib-Lit. He's obviously a Muslim." He said more on the subject of Christianity being taken out of schools and complaining about liberal indoctrination. My son didn't report this, but he did tell the teacher that he should take care of what he says on school time regarding race and religion of any individual.

Another student heard the entire conversation and told the Bib-Lit teacher. I got a call from the Bib-Lit teacher that afternoon before my son even got home from school. He said he was so proud of how he heard my son handled it that he was going to leave it to me and him as to whether a big stink was going to be raised over the issue. He told me it wasn't the first time this has happened with a teacher assuming he is Muslim just because his race. I told him that if he felt it needed to be moved up the chain, then go ahead, but if it wasn't necessary I felt that it could impact my son negatively if he is cast as a kid going after a teacher's job. The teacher said he would have a talk with the teacher and not take it further unless the talk goes very badly. I got a call from him the next day saying the situation was handled and won't move forward. He said he made clear it wasn't even my son that told him about it, which was appreciated.

Ya know, it's funny. The only overt indoctrination attempts my son has ever experienced at school that I am aware of is from people that complain about indoctrination.

Top Bottom