• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Those of you who know me, understand I'm a big fan of "Right to Carry". It is not possible for Law Enforcement to protect you every minute of every day. Not gonna happen. I'm also a believer in Lt. Dave Grossman's - Sheep, Sheepdogs, and Wolves. Below is a long email which was sent to Guy Minnis of Hard Target Firearms Training. This actually happened to my family and me earlier this year. I urge all of you to not completely let your guard down.

Scott Hurt

While driving back from Texas, we stopped in Arkansas to see the "Big Dam Bridge" which is the largest pedestrian bridge over a dam in the United States. We stopped at a gas station and Diana (wife) & Kendall (12 years old) stayed in the car. I grabbed my G36 45 cal with my Comp-tac inside the waistband holster and stuck it into my pants per usual anytime I get out of the car if I'm not already wearing my gun. While driving several hours at a time, it's not uncommon for me to take off the gun and put it next to my seat but anytime we stop it goes back onto my person. Anyway, on pulling into the gas station I observed two young black males leaning on a vehicle around 35 - 40 yards away. I put the credit card into the machine to start pumping gas and looked back at the two young men at which time I observed two white males in there middle to late 40's come from around the rear of the gas station. They looked rough ...... no bath, old clothes .... just rough. The first one made his way straight towards me while the second started circling me around the pump. By now I had the gas pumping on auto waiting for it to fill the car, so I turned completely towards the man walking towards me. I placed my strong hand on my gun, not drawing it but getting a good grip, while I held out my off hand in the stop position. He could not see my gun but you needed to be a retard not to know I had one. I said "stop right there" in a stern voice at which time he did stop around 7 yards from me. I then bladed my body to see the second man who had also stopped. The first man stated he and his brother needed my help at which time I stopped what he was saying and said "thats not gonna happen". The then replied something like your gonna help us but I stopped him and said "you don't want none of this fight buddy". Guy, he looked me up and down and then said ..... "your right". He yelled at the second guy to come on and they walked away. I shook for a little bit while the car finished filling up with gas. It took around five or six seconds for him to walk up and another three or four with the conversation for things to be over. Within ten seconds all of this took place. Thats not a very long time to figure things out. I got back into the car once I had finished filling the car with gas and Diana asked me what that was all about. We talked as a family for an hour in the car about why I ALWAYS carry a gun and how it's situations like this I'm able to keep our family safe. Guy, you must always be ready to some extent and it's a horrible shame you can't go on vacation and relax a bit but in this day and age you had better not completely let your guard down. As the first man approached if he had any type of weapon, I had decided on two shots to the body and one to the head in 2.40 - 2.50 seconds and then challenging the second person on my left if needed. I thought the first person must be put down for good the first time so I wouldn't have to deal with him later. It's scary. I'm 48 years old, been on the department 24 + years, and a pretty good shot with my Glocks but it still was un-nerving to me with my wife and daughter in the car. I'm confident he saw us as an easy target although I'm not sure what his intentions were. I had already made the decision that if he pulled any type of weapon it was "game on" because I could not let him get close enough to take my gun or hurt me, for the safety of my family. You know I'm not looking for trouble out of town like that but I'm also not going to lay down either and be a victim.

Enough ... I need to go but I hope this gives you some insight on what's going on with me the past three weeks. I'm also trying to do some yard stuff and with three acres it's a process! Life is busy right now. Oh .... I started making hand loads for my 308 bolt action rifle and loading rifle rounds sucks.

Your bud

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    That is good stuff and thank you for sharing it with us. I can't carry a gun most of the time because I work in a school, but my always try to keep my guard up.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Wow. My heart's still pumping fast. Good decision, and your forcefulness is what backed the guy off. If you would have had a "please don't hurt me" attitude, even with a weapon, you could have been in some deep sh**. Your warning ranks right up there with a rattlesnake or a fang-bared dog with neck hair bristling: "You come any closer and you're going to get hurt real bad."

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glad everything worked out okay, should have joined us last night.

I did for a while but it appeared you guys had everything under control so I made three family fights, a drunk refusing to leave, person wanting to get belongings, and check the welfare. Not bad considering I was undercover hadn't shaved in four days with my Harley shirt on! lol Put on some soft body armour and let my badge hang out. On one of my runs everyone gathered in the living room and listened to my radio .... comical kinda. The most interesting thing of the night was how people reacted when I told them every uniformed officer in Evansville was busy in a shootout so they are getting an undercover Det. Sgt. for now! Every single person was concerned about the uniformed officers and fully cooperated with me.

SWAT entered and Jeff took the suspect down with two shots. Hope Jeff's ok.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I did for a while but it appeared you guys had everything under control so I made three family fights, a drunk refusing to leave, person wanting to get belongings, and check the welfare. Not bad considering I was undercover hadn't shaved in four days with my Harley shirt on! lol Put on some soft body armour and let my badge hang out. On one of my runs everyone gathered in the living room and listened to my radio .... comical kinda. The most interesting thing of the night was how people reacted when I told them every uniformed officer in Evansville was busy in a shootout so they are getting an undercover Det. Sgt. for now! Every single person was concerned about the uniformed officers and fully cooperated with me.

SWAT entered and Jeff took the suspect down with two shots. Hope Jeff's ok.

We needed all the help we could. I think I heard 3rd shift start calling on pretty early.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Glad your first experience went the way it did. Being armed with an attitude is often good enough, but ALWAYS be able to back it up if need be. +1

As for the update of last night would you mind posting that in the other thread? Props to the officer and I hope he can deal with that traumatic experience because he did the right thing.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glad your first experience went the way it did. Being armed with an attitude is often good enough, but ALWAYS be able to back it up if need be. +1

Not my first experience. I've been in three shootings in 24+ years. One on Lincoln Ave, Grand Ave, and Riverside Drive. Riverside was the most recent in March of 1999.

This was my first experience with my wife and daughter in the car and it honestly shook me up. As the first guy was walking towards me he was looking at me and inside my car through the windshield. He probably thought we were a very easy target. The only thing I had planned in my head was to say "Stop" and fire two/body, and one/head if I saw a weapon. It's not funny but I didn't really say "stop" ..... I screamed it. I honestly thought we were in big trouble.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Not my first experience. I've been in three shootings in 24+ years. One on Lincoln Ave, Grand Ave, and Riverside Drive. Riverside was the most recent in March of 1999.

This was my first experience with my wife and daughter in the car and it honestly shook me up. As the first guy was walking towards me he was looking at me and inside my car through the windshield. He probably thought we were a very easy target. The only thing I had planned in my head was to say "Stop" and fire two/body, and one/head if I saw a weapon. It's not funny but I didn't really say "stop" ..... I screamed it. I honestly thought we were in big trouble.

Yeah I didn't mean your first ever experience just the first in the thread and I wanted to comment about the standoff last night as well.

This is something to consider because I am pretty used to other guys checking my wife out, I mean she IS really cute... But its not always just lust or jealousy.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    TF = This is something to consider because I am pretty used to other guys checking my wife out, I mean she IS really cute... But its not always just lust or jealousy.

I also thought you married out of your league. :):

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    As the first man approached if he had any type of weapon, I had decided on two shots to the body and one to the head in 2.40 - 2.50 seconds and then challenging the second person on my left if needed...I had already made the decision that if he pulled any type of weapon it was "game on" because I could not let him get close enough to take my gun or hurt me, for the safety of my family.

Scott- I'm curious if you had anything running in your mind in these brief seconds about a course of action if the man revealed no weapon yet didn't stop at your commands and his friend with him. Just asking because disparity of force situations seem to be occurring more frequently (especially at gas stations, ironically). I appreciate hearing others take on DOF situations as they probably concern me the most.

I'm glad this situation turned out well- no incident, no injuries, no death. For myself, this type of situation is the "perfect storm." I never want to be in any situation like this, but the concern ramps up a notch or three having family right there with you.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    @sbcman-judging by the way the OP reacted I would be surprised if the potential perps didn't have weapons. Instinct is an amazing thing and especially with his experience I would say these guys were armed.

Top Bottom