• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I held out my arm/hand with a signal to stop and yelled "stop". I'm lucky he did. I think me yelling "stop" startled him plus it was obvious I had my hand on a weapon. My next thought was immediate impact drill or two/body & one/head because he needed to be stopped if he had a weapon. I'm not sure shooting someone three times was the answer but it was the only thing I thought of at that time. One or two might have done the job but for some unknown reason I thought two rounds to the body and one round to the head because this guy had to be stopped now. There wasn't time for too many thoughts because it happened so quickly. I figure if you want to stop someone right away, those specific three rounds will do the trick. Freakin' IDPA ... how many times have I shot the classifier or a match with this same round set up? Lots .. tons ... loads.

I was extremely calm during this incident but after it was over I was shaken. Kinda trembling a little thinking something really bad almost happened. We tell people to trust their instincts and mine was telling me the bad guys thought we were easy targets ... one old guy with his wife and kid. When I got back in the car I talked non stop for 45 minutes about the possibilities of this incident and hope my family understood my concern. This incident bothered me ..... although I had my gun, I was not expecting this to happen. I remember thinking WTF? I swear ..... it was like WTF, "STOP" hand on gun.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ok, you start out holstered in the range truck, you get out, draw and engage close retention to one target at point blank range. Across the hood there is a steel popper and when it falls a target on the rail runs it to attack. Engage it until you are satisfied or you run out of ammo.

Perfect stage for both revolvers and bottom feeding semis. No reloads either unless you wanted to extend it beyond those 3 targets.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This reminds me of a little caper I had years ago which proves that things are not always what they seem.

I was stopped at an intersection in the Mt. Washington area of Cincinnati, generally considered a "nice" part of town. Standing on the corner was a man carrying a white cane indicating he was blind...or so he wanted people to believe. He was thumbing for a ride.

As I came to a stop at the red light, the guy stepped off the curb and started trying to open my wife's car door!! Fortunately it was locked and wouldn't open as the guy pulled repeatedly at the handle.

I instantly threw down, drawing my big S&W Model 1950 .45 (the same one I used in my debacle with Carmel PD, I always seem to be packing that thing when something interesting happens).

My wife, the gentlest of souls and, to her detriment, perpetually naive, said, "But he's BLIND!" I growled, "Blind my ass...if he gets that door open he's going where the blind can see."

That's when the "blind" man saw the hogleg. He held up both hands in a "don't shoot" gesture, back-pedaled and jumped back up on the curb. I smiled and waggled the gun at him in a "better luck next time" kind of way. The light turned green and we proceeded on our way.

Wolves sometimes DO wear sheep's clothing. Take nothing for granted.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Glad everything worked out OK for you guys.
    Here is my little caper. Walking along a street in Indy coming out of the Disney on Ice show with my wife and daughter. Were walking along after dark and standing at a street corner. My daughter then 4-5 years old, says "daddy those two guys beside me are fighting over money, and your a cop, you should stop them". I could see it was a drug deal. I said shut up, and started crossing the street against the light. Those two guys just kept starring at me. I was shaken. I did have my gun and I'm confident I can handle what comes along. But I'm not sure if I can handle my family and me at the same time. It puts a whole different perspective on things with your family around. Needles to say I had a long talk with them about this type of thing.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yeah I didn't mean your first ever experience just the first in the thread and I wanted to comment about the standoff last night as well.

This is something to consider because I am pretty used to other guys checking my wife out, I mean she IS really cute... But its not always just lust or jealousy.
    .....he typed, as Mrs. Frost, hair in curlers with bloodshot eyes and an unfiltered Camel hanging out of her snarling lips, smacked a roll-up newspaper into her hand.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I held out my arm/hand with a signal to stop and yelled "stop". I'm lucky he did. I think me yelling "stop" startled him plus it was obvious I had my hand on a weapon. My next thought was immediate impact drill or two/body & one/head because he needed to be stopped if he had a weapon. I'm not sure shooting someone three times was the answer but it was the only thing I thought of at that time. One or two might have done the job but for some unknown reason I thought two rounds to the body and one round to the head because this guy had to be stopped now. There wasn't time for too many thoughts because it happened so quickly. I figure if you want to stop someone right away, those specific three rounds will do the trick. Freakin' IDPA ... how many times have I shot the classifier or a match with this same round set up? Lots .. tons ... loads.

I was extremely calm during this incident but after it was over I was shaken. Kinda trembling a little thinking something really bad almost happened. We tell people to trust their instincts and mine was telling me the bad guys thought we were easy targets ... one old guy with his wife and kid. When I got back in the car I talked non stop for 45 minutes about the possibilities of this incident and hope my family understood my concern. This incident bothered me ..... although I had my gun, I was not expecting this to happen. I remember thinking WTF? I swear ..... it was like WTF, "STOP" hand on gun.

Like most all of us, in a stressfull situation you will fall back to the most simple form of training you are familiar with. Not a bash, it will happen.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This reminds me of a little caper I had years ago which proves that things are not always what they seem.

I was stopped at an intersection in the Mt. Washington area of Cincinnati, generally considered a "nice" part of town. Standing on the corner was a man carrying a white cane indicating he was blind...or so he wanted people to believe. He was thumbing for a ride.

As I came to a stop at the red light, the guy stepped off the curb and started trying to open my wife's car door!! Fortunately it was locked and wouldn't open as the guy pulled repeatedly at the handle.

I instantly threw down, drawing my big S&W Model 1950 .45 (the same one I used in my debacle with Carmel PD, I always seem to be packing that thing when something interesting happens).

My wife, the gentlest of souls and, to her detriment, perpetually naive, said, "But he's BLIND!" I growled, "Blind my ass...if he gets that door open he's going where the blind can see."

That's when the "blind" man saw the hogleg. He held up both hands in a "don't shoot" gesture, back-pedaled and jumped back up on the curb. I smiled and waggled the gun at him in a "better luck next time" kind of way. The light turned green and we proceeded on our way.

Wolves sometimes DO wear sheep's clothing. Take nothing for granted.

So my question is..(and this isn't a flame, its an honest question)...

What if he HAD gotten the door open? Your wife is between you and the BG.

I have thought about this one before driving with my wife in the car, and wondered what the best course of action would be? My thought is hopping out of the car so I can aim over the roof perhaps? :dunno:

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    You handled that really well, thanks for the write-up. That's scary stuff, I hope we all learn from reading these and pass it on to others. A lot of people don't think this could happen to them.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    One key element that some people missed on this but SHurt didn't is "tunnel vision". In a critical situation, don't limit youself to what's immediately in front of you. 1 + 1 rule.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

SMHURT, I didn't get a chance to say thanks for taking up the slack last Monday evening. Much appreciated, we had our hands full.

Top Bottom