• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have been having mobility problems since Labor Day weekend. I wish I had a cool story but I slept on my side wrong and impacted my ability to walk and my right arm (large bruise where my Charlie Brown head was).

Prior piriformis syndrome, likely falling in helicopter years ago (training class, nothing heroic, wet boots, I fell down, went boom). Have started back at yoga and getting massages. Tried back at spin and gym.

Went to real doc said massive inflammation (I have "muscle knots" on adductor, quadracep and another big ass muscle I forget, it is twisting my pelvis causing me to walk like Festus) recommended checking into PRP like a player for the Colts. I did and am scheduling to get it started (NW side of Indy).

Anyone have prior experience with PRP therapy? Anything to do, or not to do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been having mobility problems since Labor Day weekend. I wish I had a cool story but I slept on my side wrong and impacted my ability to walk and my right arm (large bruise where my Charlie Brown head was).

Prior piriformis syndrome, likely falling in helicopter years ago (training class, nothing heroic, wet boots, I fell down, went boom). Have started back at yoga and getting massages. Tried back at spin and gym.

Went to real doc said massive inflammation (I have "muscle knots" on adductor, quadracep and another big ass muscle I forget, it is twisting my pelvis causing me to walk like Festus) recommended checking into PRP like a player for the Colts. I did and am scheduling to get it started (NW side of Indy).

Anyone have prior experience with PRP therapy? Anything to do, or not to do.
    The only PRP I've seen anything about is "platelet rich plasma" for hair loss...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I had never heard of it until now. It sounds like a cross between arthritis (mobility) + pain. This is from an AI engine, but seems to cover the stretching, heat/cold, and medication route. It sounds like "your mileage may vary" based on the the person & treatment.

1. Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is often a key component of treatment for piriformis syndrome. A physical therapist can work with you to develop a personalized exercise program that includes stretching and strengthening exercises to improve flexibility and reduce muscle tightness. These exercises can help relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and improve your overall strength and posture.
    2. Stretching: Specific stretching exercises can target the piriformis muscle and surrounding muscles, helping to alleviate tension and pressure on the sciatic nerve. Common stretches include the piriformis stretch, pigeon pose, and seated forward bends.
    3. Massage Therapy: Deep tissue massage or myofascial release techniques can help relax and release tension in the piriformis muscle. This can be particularly effective for relieving pain and tightness associated with piriformis syndrome.
    4. Heat and Cold Therapy: Alternating between heat and cold applications can help reduce inflammation and provide relief from pain. Applying heat can relax the muscle, while cold packs can reduce inflammation. Always follow your healthcare provider's recommendations for the appropriate timing and application.
    5. Anti-Inflammatory Medications: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may be prescribed or recommended by a healthcare professional to reduce pain and inflammation associated with piriformis syndrome.
    6. Posture and Ergonomic Modifications: Your therapist may also work with you on improving your posture and ergonomics, especially if poor posture or prolonged sitting aggravates your symptoms.
    7. Orthotics: If issues with foot alignment are contributing to your condition, your therapist may recommend orthotic shoe inserts to help correct any gait abnormalities and relieve pressure on the piriformis muscle.
    8. Injections: In some cases, corticosteroid injections may be used to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain if conservative measures are not effective.
    9. Rest and Activity Modification: Reducing or modifying activities that exacerbate your symptoms is crucial. Your healthcare provider may recommend temporary rest from activities that worsen your condition.
    10. Surgery (in rare cases): Surgery is typically considered a last resort when all other conservative treatments have failed. It may involve releasing the piriformis muscle or decompressing the sciatic nerve.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Look into this as well. My wife had it done on her knee and it helped a lot.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Yes, I had a Platelet Rich Plasma injection about 8 weeks ago. I have FAI (Femoral Acetabular Impingement. The hip ball doesn't fit the socket perfectly). I first developed symptoms about two years ago. It comes and goes but flared up this summer and I had pain with every step.

My doctor told me about PRP, it sounded like snake oil and I was skeptical. I did the research and found all of the reputable major teaching hospitals offer PRP. I started PT, had the injection and dropped the extra 10 lbs. I'd been carrying.

Right at the six-week point, when PRP is said to become effective, the pain stopped and I've been pain-free since. I don't know if it was the PRP the PT, the weight loss or a combination of all three but the outcome has been great.

The injection itself was easy.
    Good Luck

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is Ok, as badly as my body (well, pelvic girdle) is wrecked, I'll be back multiple times (5 in one package that I paid for, don't know if need them all, doc says only 3).

I'll be coming down and you cannot stop me as I have free passage down the Wabash.

1699120704226.png

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've seen what my brethren in NSW go thru...NO THANKS! 3 hots and a cot for ole Dave. I'm good hibernating in the armory in the A/C taking a nap when I want on "dry side".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Down for shot #2 today.

First one went fine and ended the lingering nerve tingle, or whatever I had going on. Still have pronounced limp but going up stairs is a thing now, I must use hand rail.

Slowly I heal. My precatory goal is cardio to resume by first of year.

Had no idea I could wreck myself, sleeping, sober, and alone. Just outstanding.

Top Bottom