• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    haha you think suspending their license would teach them. They would just continue to drive without their license. I was so naive as well thinking all people driving had a license; live PD opened my eyes

I have been surprised at the number of tenants I have had in the past that not only didn't have a DL, but had been popped for it multiple times. Last one I dealt with not only got arrested for fleeing, but once she got that cleared up she had the state pay for her re-instated DL. Hardship for financial reasons or some such. She is no longer a tenant. Couldn't take all the drama.

People will always find a way to play the system.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Seems simple to me not being commercial driver: DL, registration and proof of insurance. Three documents. I can produce them to an officer in 10 seconds.

BMV reminds me when I need to renew license and registration. I get my new registration cert along with my plate sticker. Take care of both at the same time. Insurance company sends me new card for glove box at every annual renewal.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Seems simple to me not being commercial driver: DL, registration and proof of insurance. Three documents. I can produce them to an officer in 10 seconds.

BMV reminds me when I need to renew license and registration. I get my new registration cert along with my plate sticker. Take care of both at the same time. Insurance company sends me new card for glove box at every annual renewal.

Insurance cards aren't even required in IN. We have our insurance info on our registrations so you actually only have to produce 2 documents... and apparently some people can't even do that. :facepalm:

I'll never understand why basic "adulting" is so very difficult for some people. I figured out how to get plates, insurance, and a license while i was still a teenager.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Insurance cards aren't even required in IN. We have our insurance info on our registrations so you actually only have to produce 2 documents... and apparently some people can't even do that. :facepalm:

I'll never understand why basic "adulting" is so very difficult for some people. I figured out how to get plates, insurance, and a license while i was still a teenager.

Unless the law has changed since I moved from Mooresville in 2004, if you are pulled over and don't have your insurance card with you, it is at the officers discretion if he has your vehicle towed or not.:dunno:

At my old house I lived on the corner with a 3-way stop sign 1 block from the high school. People was always getting nailed for rolling through or blowing through it. There was more cars towed that was stopped beside or in front of my house that I lost count over the 15 years I lived there

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Unless the law has changed since I moved from Mooresville in 2004, if you are pulled over and don't have your insurance card with you, it is at the officers discretion if he has your vehicle towed or not.:dunno:

At my old house I lived on the corner with a 3-way stop sign 1 block from the high school. People was always getting nailed for rolling through or blowing through it. There was more cars towed that was stopped beside or in front of my house that I lost count over the 15 years I lived there
    I’m pretty sure this has changed but I can’t find a link for it. Last time I was stopped I didn’t have proof (have a fleet, believe me I have insurance), told the officer I thought it wasn’t needed any more and he let it go. I believe if he wants to push the issue it become a matter for the dmv to handle.
    Would love it if an officer would chime in here.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    2 funny stories on this:

Remember the "no texting and driving law" Indiana passed years ago? The first day that became effective a texting driver drove through (literally) a small medical uniform shop my family owned at the time.

Yesterday I saw an auto parts delivery truck with a sticker on the back that said "Cell Phone Free Vehicle." Noticed the sticker while I was staring at the back of the truck waiting for the driver to look up from his phone and see the green light in front of him.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The only time insurance really matters is if you are involved in a crash. If you can't prove you have it, "UNKNOWN" is put in the insurance section of the crash report. You just have to prove to the BMV that you have it so you don't get your license suspended.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    As a Californian in exile and having lived under this restriction for years I can tell you that it is nothing more than a revenue generator for the state. It doesn’t make anyone safer. Unsafe drivers are just that. Unsafe. You can’t legislate away every distraction and you can’t legislate common sense. If that were the case then our current driving laws would already prevent all accidents. This is just another unnecessary intrusion into the liberty of individuals.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As a Californian in exile and having lived under this restriction for years I can tell you that it is nothing more than a revenue generator for the state. It doesn’t make anyone safer. Unsafe drivers are just that. Unsafe. You can’t legislate away every distraction and you can’t legislate common sense. If that were the case then our current driving laws would already prevent all accidents. This is just another unnecessary intrusion into the liberty of individuals.

You have to have officers actually write tickets for it to be a "revenue generator." I'm sure ISP will, but those of us working in the higher crime or lower income areas don't have the time, because we actually have better things to do.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    You have to have officers actually write tickets for it to be a "revenue generator." I'm sure ISP will, but those of us working in the higher crime or lower income areas don't have the time, because we actually have better things to do.

That’s not a problem because those folks wouldn’t pay the fine anyways. Folks who live in nice areas who can afford the fine and who’s departments spend time searching for things to do will be plenty.

But just to play devils advocate let’s say revenue had nothing to do with it. Why pass a law that restricts freedom but makes no one safer. Eating, drinking, putting on makeup, tying a tie or whatever else suits your fancy isnt illegal and is at least as distracting if not more. I usually hate cliche quotes but Ben Franklin was right about giving up liberty for security.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That’s not a problem because those folks wouldn’t pay the fine anyways. Folks who live in nice areas who can afford the fine and who’s departments spend time searching for things to do will be plenty.

But just to play devils advocate let’s say revenue had nothing to do with it. Why pass a law that restricts freedom but makes no one safer. Eating, drinking, putting on makeup, tying a tie or whatever else suits your fancy isnt illegal and is at least as distracting if not more. I usually hate cliche quotes but Ben Franklin was right about giving up liberty for security.

The police didn't ask for the law. In fact, we weren't told that it was even on the table until a month or so ago when the media first started announcing it was going into effect. And yeah, I see people do way more stupid **** that takes their attention off the road than just holding a cell phone.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The police didn't ask for the law. In fact, we weren't told that it was even on the table until a month or so ago when the media first started announcing it was going into effect. And yeah, I see people do way more stupid **** that takes their attention off the road than just holding a cell phone.

Yup, I have too, reading books, newspapers, putting on makeup, changing clothes, you name I've probably seen it. When you sit above everybody else as their driving down the road and you're able to peer down inside, most people are oblivious to what is going on around them.

:@ya: :n00b: :wow::popcorn:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Current events have eroded the rule of law so quickly over the past few weeks it's getting to the point where many will simply ignore the law. Why bother following the rules when politicians are essentially telling everyone that rioting, looting, assault and property damage is perfectly hunkie dory?

As Frank mentioned, police have more important things to worry about. At some point the average person is just going to say, "screw it. Why should I follow the law when so many others are breaking it?"

Top Bottom