• ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just another silly feel good law.

Just like seat belts in my opinion. I always wear my seat belt, even before it was a law. But I do not think it should be mandatory just because a bunch of insurance reps talked some politicians into it. Could they save a life, sure thing. I wear them because I have had family and friends in accidents that were bad. It is a precaution just like carrying a gun.

Still think it is odd that I can drive home from work in the truck, take off the seatbelt, get out and hop onto a motorcycle to ride with no helmet on. The bike community seems to have a better hold on the legislation actions I guess.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just another silly feel good law.

Just like seat belts in my opinion. I always wear my seat belt, even before it was a law. But I do not think it should be mandatory just because a bunch of insurance reps talked some politicians into it. Could they save a life, sure thing. I wear them because I have had family and friends in accidents that were bad. It is a precaution just like carrying a gun.

Still think it is odd that I can drive home from work in the truck, take off the seatbelt, get out and hop onto a motorcycle to ride with no helmet on. The bike community seems to have a better hold on the legislation actions I guess.

It is all about the state receiving money from the .gov. Like lowering the DUI legal limit to .08 from .10, seatbelts, texting, speed limits, ad nauseum.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    The police didn't ask for the law. In fact, we weren't told that it was even on the table until a month or so ago when the media first started announcing it was going into effect. And yeah, I see people do way more stupid **** that takes their attention off the road than just holding a cell phone.

I’m not saying the cops asked for it. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t even asked. It is and always are the politicians deciding what to do with other people’s freedom/money. It just bums me out because I was hoping to have some time with n the sun after fleeing from the people’s republik

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    For everyone bi**ching about having to go hands free, no one is keeping you from being able to make or receive calls, it's not a money grab. It's a safety issue. Would never had come to this if people would have been responsible enough to pay attention while driving a 3,000+ pound missile down the road. People are trying to do way to many things while driving a vehicle down the road and not doing the main thing while behind the wheel.

Paying attention to what's in front and around them while driving.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My prediction came true. My wife and I were working in our front yard this morning and I noticed police cruiser drive past our house. Just as he passed us he put his cell phone to his ear and started talking. Apparently police are exempt from the new law. Sovereign citizens (?)

(I’m prepared for the outcry. Have at it.)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My prediction came true. My wife and I were working in our front yard this morning and I noticed police cruiser drive past our house. Just as he passed us he put his cell phone to his ear and started talking. Apparently police are exempt from the new law. Sovereign citizens (?)

(I’m prepared for the outcry. Have at it.)

There is no exemption for police. He just wasn't following the new law. You know, kind of like a bunch of non-cop sovereign citizens that I saw breaking the new law yesterday and today. And the sovereign citizens I saw speeding, disregarding red lights, having expired tags, being drunk in public, yada yada. But since you have a hard on for cops, you only notice them doing it, right?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There is no exemption for police. He just wasn't following the new law. You know, kind of like a bunch of non-cop sovereign citizens that I saw breaking the new law yesterday and today. And the sovereign citizens I saw speeding, disregarding red lights, having expired tags, being drunk in public, yada yada. But since you have a hard on for cops, you only notice them doing it, right?

I do not have a **** ** for “cops.” Just that I would like to see law enforcement set a positive example. For those living in caves who may not be aware of the law, observing law enforcement practicing this may lead those to believe there is nothing wrong in do so. If you’re butt hurt because I pointed it out that was not my intent. I was merely hoping that our local police force would understand they are constantly scrutinized and must do their best to set a good example. If folks are speeding, running red lights, etc. they are breaking the law. The same applies to law enforcement if not following traffic laws themselves. The difference is a citizen has no power to cite infractions or arrest. Simple fact.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For everyone bi**ching about having to go hands free, no one is keeping you from being able to make or receive calls, it's not a money grab. It's a safety issue. Would never had come to this if people would have been responsible enough to pay attention while driving a 3,000+ pound missile down the road. People are trying to do way to many things while driving a vehicle down the road and not doing the main thing while behind the wheel.

This is common knowledge, but just as DUI laws don't stop drunk driving, this won't stop distracted driving.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers

So as I said above, if this is about safety then why is it still legal to eat, get dressed drink your coffee, put on makeup etc? Those are arguably more distracting than using a phone. This isn’t about safety, it’s about revenue and control.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bump.

I've been looking for the IC for this law and the only thing I see is IC 9-21-8-59. *IF* that's the latest law that just went into effect, there's NOTHING in it saying you can't TALK on the phone. It only mentions texting.

Am I looking at the wrong IC?

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Mobile phones are the singular reason why I won't ride a motorcycle on any road. I see texting/talking/checking social media feeds probably 10 times a day and I do not drive for a living. I am being totally serious.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mobile phones are the singular reason why I won't ride a motorcycle on any road. I see texting/talking/checking social media feeds probably 10 times a day and I do not drive for a living. I am being totally serious.

I retired from riding motorcycles and bicycles on the road for the same reason. I say I quit because of technology. The technology being all the crap that people can now do while driving.

I used to love to ride. Now I'm very happy to be in a "cage."

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My mowing guy got stopped in Marion (city not county) yesterday. Received a warning for talking on his phone. Was told the fine was $500.

Have an ex-tenant who was put in jail for DV and he bailed out for less than that.

Crazy

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So as I said above, if this is about safety then why is it still legal to eat, get dressed drink your coffee, put on makeup etc? Those are arguably more distracting than using a phone. This isn’t about safety, it’s about revenue and control.

All of the things you mentioned can get you a ticket for distracted driving.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I think you'll find most of the people unhappy with the law don't use devices while driving. I don't. I won't even take a call hands free while on a highway.

In fact, I hate it when people do use them. While driving into Chicago for work, I would have problems with people doing so regularly. It would be great to magically make it all go away.

How many people do you think even know this law exists?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bump.

I've been looking for the IC for this law and the only thing I see is IC 9-21-8-59. *IF* that's the latest law that just went into effect, there's NOTHING in it saying you can't TALK on the phone. It only mentions texting.

Am I looking at the wrong IC?
    Indiana Code 2020 - Indiana General Assembly, 2020 Session

Code:
    IC 9-21-8-59    Use of telecommunications device while operating a moving motor vehicle     
    Sec. 59. 
         (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), a person may not hold or use a telecommunications device while operating a moving motor vehicle.
         (b) A telecommunications device may be used in conjunction with hands free or voice operated technology.
         (c) A telecommunications device may be used or held to call 911 to report a bona fide emergency.
         (d) A police officer may not, without the consent of the person:
              (1) confiscate a telecommunications device for the purpose of determining compliance with this section;
              (2) confiscate a telecommunications device and retain it as evidence pending trial for a violation of this section; or
              (3) extract or otherwise download information from a telecommunications device for a violation of this section unless:
              (A) the police officer has probable cause to believe that the telecommunications device has been used in the commission of a crime;
              (B) the information is extracted or otherwise downloaded under a valid search warrant; or
              (C) otherwise authorized by law.
         (e) The bureau may not assess points under the point system for a violation of this section occurring before July 1, 2021.
    As added by P.L.185-2011, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.191-2014, SEC.1; P.L.100-2020, SEC.3.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So we got this law because the texting law was ruled unenforceable. We all know the .gov has to do SOMETHING!

Indiana has had a do not text while driving law since 2011, but it has been found to be unenforceable by the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals because it’s too narrowly tailored. However, by restricting the use of telecommunication devices while driving (unless used in conjunction with a hands-free or voice operated option) would create an easy, clear-cut and enforceable law.
    https://www.in.gov/indot/4063.htm

Top Bottom