• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This thread helps me appreciate the new-to-me '97 f150 I bought this summer.

Decades of reading other people's software gives me a strong preference toward mechanical implementations of certain functions :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I prefer key ignition and roll up windows.
    You know, stuff that last 20 yrs rain or shine.

Hunt way out in the boonies weird hours (yotes). Tech going bad aint cool.
    My old spot a dead area for cell phones too.

Hell, I prefer manual hubs. t case and solid front axles.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't think I would ever willingly own a vehicle with the push button start. Just another electrical part vulnerable to failure IMHO.

I think push-button start technology is very robust and not any more vulnerable to failure than a twist-to-start keyed system. Heck, GM recently had a recall of its standard keyed ignition systems that could kill the engine while the car is in motion. I've not heard anything similar with modern push button ignitions. I'll also never break a key off trying to start the car.

I know that push-to-start is very reliable, because even Fiat Chrysler systems are not prone to failure...and if those idiots can get it right, the systems must be pretty much foolproof. :):

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think this would be a good post for the First World Problems thread. :):

Heck, just the other day, the battery in DoggyMama's Honda Oddysey (2006 - not exactly new) had a dead battery because she left the dome light on. The jumper cables are in a compartment back by the rear hatchback. There is no way to open the rear hatchback with a dead battery. She had to unlock the front door (the only door with an actual manual lock that you can open with a key), then climb over 2 rows of seats to get to the jumper cable. Why wouldn't they have a keyed lock on every door? Really dumb design if you ask me.

I don't think I would ever willingly own a vehicle with the push button start. Just another electrical part vulnerable to failure IMHO.

And btw, when I read the title to this thread, the first thought that came to mind was pushing a car with a manual transmission in order to pop the clutch to start it. Pretty sure I'm dating myself with that statement. :fogey: :):

Me too DD! Dead battery in my B2000 Mazda? The driveway had enough of a hill to roll-start even in Kansas. Early-80s Korean-specs Ford Granada (think late-80s Camry with a V-6 and a 4-speed) with a bad starter? The team hops out and push-starts it. Get it rolling, pop-the clutch, downshift and pop the clutch again if needed. The good old days!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Normally, there's an actual key that you just let it touch the start/stop button and then you can press it and car will start. But always change the keyfob battery every 2-3 years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Space age low tech. Otterbox makes some pretty cool tiny waterproof boxes that affix fairly handily to the undercarriage in various spots. It works for backup keys and fobs to live in old cars. I could only guess it would work for your backup tricoder or whatever is required to make the new contraptions go?

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    My last push to start car had a warning message that would pop up and say that the fob battery needed to be replaced.

I procrastinated and found out that the warning meant I only had about a week to replace the battery. Fortunately it crapped out at my house and I had the spare in the house. It's battery was still good.

MH

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've never even thought about either of these scenarios. Why do I want the transmission to be in neutral if the battery is dead? Just get a jump start. And I don't remember the last time I used a parking brake, mechanical or otherwise. But again...jump start.
    I use the parking brake daily, of course I still drive manual transmission vehicles. Oh and since this is general FIREARMS discussion. GLOCK.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had Dodge chargers come in for service that the fob allowed me to open the door and start it to bring it in the shop but then the battery petered out and wouldn't start to back it out of the shop. So yeah always a good idea to have a spare battety for it and know how to replace it

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If I'm not mistaken almost all newer cars, whether they use a key fob for push start or a key have an RFID chip in them. If the battery goes dead in the fob then placing it near the sensor will allow the car to start as long as the cars battery has a charge. On one's that use a key the RFID is read when the key is inserted before the car will start, it's part of the anti-theft device.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Me too DD! Dead battery in my B2000 Mazda? The driveway had enough of a hill to roll-start even in Kansas. Early-80s Korean-specs Ford Granada (think late-80s Camry with a V-6 and a 4-speed) with a bad starter? The team hops out and push-starts it. Get it rolling, pop-the clutch, downshift and pop the clutch again if needed. The good old days!

Originally read the title as “push-start”.

I remember in the good old days strategically parking the car on inclines so that I could do a self rollstart-pop-the-clutch because I knew the battery was on its last electrons and I hadn't been able to replace it yet.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I’ve always disliked push button starters. Do away with keys and fobs and have smartphones run it. One less thing to misplace or fail

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I’ve always disliked push button starters. Do away with keys and fobs and have smartphones run it. One less thing to misplace or fail

Oh hell to the no for me! Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems to me that it would be an opportunity for a hacker to compromise the "app" used for this and steal your vehicle. Besides I've had phones fail more than I've had key fobs fail (my fobs have just been for locking and unlocking though, not starting). I don't lose my keys. Ever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Remember when you could run out of gas, then leave it in first gear and use the starter to power you to the gas pumps?

Churchmouse does...

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Almost all key fobs have a hidden “key” in them for the door, and a hidden keyhole.

for starting the car. When the fob is “dead” there should be a spot, usually inside the center console or glove box, that you set the key fob and the scanner can read the chip in it regardless of battery power. Allowing you to start your car.

TommyGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Down South

Yea, I don't know if you seen that one WIRED video from a few years ago, but the more tech vs mechanical components, the easier it is to hack:

[video=youtube;MK0SrxBC1xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs[/video]

Top Bottom