• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Yea, I don't know if you seen that one WIRED video from a few years ago, but the more tech vs mechanical components, the easier it is to hack:

Looks like they hacked "an internet connected computer in the dashboard" 4 years ago on a vehicle made by Chrysler engineers. I'll venture a guess that all new cars have tech much improved in the past 4 years, and safety gaps have been filled.

Can they hack an RFID card or a direct Bluetooth device like a TV remote, or my kids xbox controllers? If they're that sophisticated, they're probably going to hack more expensive cars than I will ever own. The smartphone acts as a direct bluetooth RFID card for quick access and keyless driving.

No more searching for keys and fobs, fumbling thru bags/ pockets for keyfob while your hands are full. No more leaving without your phone, because your car won't start without it. Humans take the least cumbersome path, and smartphone convenience will at least be an option for those who have determined their personal risk.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    PSA update. The bad fob eats batteries and had to get it replaced on a 4 month old GM vehicle.. I have a new fob with the warranty. The sweet spot for the old fob did not work when placed in it when the battery was dead because the fob was the problem.

OH well.....

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    PSA update. The bad fob eats batteries and had to get it replaced on a 4 month old GM vehicle.. I have a new fob with the warranty. The sweet spot for the old fob did not work when placed in it when the battery was dead because the fob was the problem.

OH well.....

New GM, eh? You'll be posting more. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Me too DD! Dead battery in my B2000 Mazda? The driveway had enough of a hill to roll-start even in Kansas. Early-80s Korean-specs Ford Granada (think late-80s Camry with a V-6 and a 4-speed) with a bad starter? The team hops out and push-starts it. Get it rolling, pop-the clutch, downshift and pop the clutch again if needed. The good old days!

I once had an 70's 4 speed truck with a bad battery I did not have the money to replace but needed it to drive to work. I backed it into a uphill parking spot both at work and home and pushed it from the drivers door, by myself, steering until it got up to speed then jumped in and popped the clutch, fired it up and drove home. My back up was a chain to get a pull if I got stuck. Did that for about three months. Ah, the good old days...

had an alternator fail on my Suburban , with a full charged battery and the truck drained that battery in about 30 minutes...

Top Bottom