• ...and so much more!
  • Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    Greetings from Delaware,
    You might like to look a the charging handle from a HK-21 MG. It is longer and offers a better pivot point to pull the bolt assembly back and requires no Smith work to change over, their are ytube videos on how to do this. I have bought parts from both HK Parts and RTG with RTG being cheaper by half when in stock, summer is when more parts are suppose to show up. On my PTR-91F I replaced the PTR metal front guard for a HK wide hand guard and put a HK bipod on it. Works well on the rifle to the point that on a Vector V-93 I put the same set up. The HK-21 charging handle is on the 91 and also works well and is easy to use the V-93 doesn't need it. Waiting for a PTR-32 to be built for me as part of the NRA show specials, roller bolt rifles are reproducing like bunnies around here. Oh the HK claw tele mount may look weird but it works very well, I worked in the late 70s and mid 80 with German Airborne Infantry and later with Armored Infantry and their G-3s and claw mounts survived Landser use and even with the extra weight I want to trade my M-16a1 for a Gaydry.

Great range report, my 91 keeps trying to hit the sniper at my 2 oclock with hot brass.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Quick update.

After having been to the range several times now...with still no failures...I can say that this weapon is going to have a long life with my family.

Today and last weekend I took it out and used a Primus GenII Trigger Stick for support. Using a mixed bag of ammo I was able to produce 2.5-3" groups from 200yds and .5-1.5 groups at 100. At 50 yds it's generally 2 rounds touching and one at 1". I'm well past the recommended break in count.

I decided to go with the trigger stick as opposed to a bipod because I can use it for all my non-podded weapons and as a walking stick to boot. It can be quickly deployed as a mono-pod or toss the legs out, squeeze the trigger and it's a tri-pod. So far I like this thing a lot.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

semiautosniper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Does PTR heat treat their receivers after folding them? HK does, for their HK91s. Also is the barrel buttoned rifled or hammer forged? I know neither does chrome lining on the bore due to the fine groves in the chamber.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Quick update.

After having been to the range several times now...with still no failures...I can say that this weapon is going to have a long life with my family.

Today and last weekend I took it out and used a Primus GenII Trigger Stick for support. Using a mixed bag of ammo I was able to produce 2.5-3" groups from 200yds and .5-1.5 groups at 100. At 50 yds it's generally 2 rounds touching and one at 1". I'm well past the recommended break in count.

I decided to go with the trigger stick as opposed to a bipod because I can use it for all my non-podded weapons and as a walking stick to boot. It can be quickly deployed as a mono-pod or toss the legs out, squeeze the trigger and it's a tri-pod. So far I like this thing a lot.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

What ammo of your testing shot the best? What shot the worst?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What ammo of your testing shot the best? What shot the worst?

Best ammo - PRVI Partisan 145gr FMJBT, Hirtengerger 147gr FMJBT
    Worst ammo - TulAmmo 147gr Steel Case

The Russian stuff was fine at 100yds but had fliers at 200. The PRVI ammo (cases that I could find) would not be reloadable as they had multiple creases and the necks were crushed...they must use some thin brass. Regardless of manufacture it all went bang and got chucked into the weeds. The Russian stuff seems to smoke a lot.

I plan on getting some heavier rounds and pushing the range out...but I'll need another range than my local one to do that.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Does PTR heat treat their receivers after folding them? HK does, for their HK91s. Also is the barrel buttoned rifled or hammer forged? I know neither does chrome lining on the bore due to the fine groves in the chamber.

I was unable to find any quick links for you but I'll see what I can do later. Seems to me I read this before I bought it but can't find it right now. I know that they use all HK machinery and build to German military specifications, the equipment was imported to produce them here since HK no longer offers them. Since they state they build to German milspec I would assume the heat treating is taking place.

One of the reasons I liked the A3R was that I have heard that under extreme use (abuse) it is possible to bend the receiver so that the weapon will not function correctly. The A3R has a welded scope mount rail that should offer additional rigidity. Not that I have anything to prove that it just seemed to make sense to me that it would. Once again YMMV.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a GI model with the welded on rail. It is the third PTR-91 I have owned and the only one that I am happy with. The weight, balance, and accuracy are outstanding.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Great write up. Are you still happy with the rifle?

Thanks

Yes I am. I've added a new Leupold 3-9 and just got in another 1k rnds of 7.62 NATO. I haven't been out to shoot it recently because, well, negative degrees F are discouraging.

If I needed two I wouldn't hesitate.

Regarding the earlier comment on rigidity of the frame. The only complaint I'd heard was from a guy who had one strapped across his back while carrying a heavy load and slammed his back into the corner of an APC hard enough to actually bend the weapon. He thought that highlighted a weakness in the design. I rather thought he was lucky it functioned in any way not including exploding in his face. I'm certain if I were to recreate that scenario nothing mounted to the weapon would survive (scopes, red dots, light, whatever) and I'd really have to need to shoot it (as has happened in the past) to give it a go.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That is the model in this review...but you already know what I think. :)

Yeah, I definitely liked your review. I just know sloughfoot likes his accuracy as much as the next guy and has a different model, so I was hoping for another review confirming.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    teddy12b;567h said:
    The PTR suffers from the lack of a riflemans sling but at 200 yards, prone, on a ruck, I kept 10 shots inside the 10 ring on the SR target. That is 1 MOA with berdan primed mil-surp ball.

I have since put a bushnell red dot on it but have yet to make it to the range.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The PTR suffers from the lack of a riflemans sling but at 200 yards, prone, on a ruck, I kept 10 shots inside the 10 ring on the SR target. That is 1 MOA with berdan primed mil-surp ball.

I have since put a bushnell red dot on it but have yet to make it to the range.

First off, anyone knocking out a 1MOA group at 200 yards with irons is a great shot in my book, so you get an internet high five to start with.

Secondly, is this the model you've got? PTR INC PTR91 GI .308 18" Special Edition w/Green Furniture $829.00 SHIPS FREE

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    teddy12b said:
    I liked your review of your rifle and I was wondering if you've had a chance to really sit down and test the rifle for accuracy. I'd like to know what it's capable of because I'm thinking of buying one.

I tried to reply to your PM but: teddy12b has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

You could take Sloughfoot's word for the weapons accuracy potential IMHO.

From 200 yds standing shooting off a Shockley Trigger Stick I am confident of 4" groups. I am currently using a Leopold 3-9 with a 150yd zero.

Functionally, this thing has been 100% reliable. It has eaten everything I've fed it, though the accuracy was not as good with Russian steel cased stuff...I think that is not the rifles fault.

Best of luck with your decision and the weapon if you decide to get it.

Top Bottom