• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have an 8 inch PTR 51P PDW that I am waiting for the SBR stamp to come back on. The gun has been flawless from day 1 and despite the short barrel it is more than accurate enough for 100 yard shooting. Bit of a fireball from the muzzle and yes, it is loud but recoil is on par with my CETME or FN/FAL.

PTR 51P PDW .308 Pistol Atlantic Firearms Exclusive

0ff758f7-9018-42d9-8a5b-fa29c926273f_zpsf6f3bd97.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Any of you guys who talked about scoping your PTR's want to report back on the results? I know this thread is old, but I'd love to read how the rifles are performing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hey, thanks for bumping the thread up...I went to some of the old links and saw that they are now offering this with the paddle mag release! Now I need to find out if I they have a kit to get that on mine!

It's almost two years now and not a single operating issue with any ammo. My local range is limited to 200 yds. From a bench it is 1 MOA. I rarely shoot from a bench though (and don't have a sled) and from various positions including off hand standing it's still mo face at 200 yards. Obviously, the inaccuracies are mine but it's the way I prefer to practice and shoot.

Now, for that paddle release...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Update on the paddle release...apparently, business is good!

"Due to our current capacity for production being maxed out at this time, we have had to suspend all gunsmith work (rail add-ons, barrel swaps, refinishing, paddle magazine release installs etc…) for the foreseeable future. We do hope to get back to offering gunsmith work again when things calm down and get back to a more even pace. Our projections show that we will most likely bring back these services in late-summer 2016. Please feel free to reach back out to us at that time if you're still interested in PTR Gunsmithing services."

So, now I'll need to see what it would take to either do it myself (which they gave no hints about) or have someone else do it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Good luck with that. I've got next to no machining experience so I wouldn't even consider doing it myself and I'd wait.

My interest in a PTR 91 is for an accurate semi auto 308. They're tough to find some reviews on.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, I was hoping they'd have a compatible trigger group on HKParts.net and just change it out but I'll have to do some research to see what would fit.

Here are some other reviews if you haven't seen them.

PTR 91 Rifles Good? - AR15.Com Archive

PTR-91 GI Review and Range Report - Survivalist Forum

PTR-91 GI Review

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2010/10/28/ptr-91/

Gabe Suarez: PTR91 is "The Most Rugged And Reliable .308 Battle Rifle" - The Truth About Guns

PTR 91 Rifle is a Slam Dunk

PTR91 KFM4 -

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I've been looking for PTR91 reviews for years written by guys who are real shooters and not just running a bunch of brown bear/wolf/tula at a pumkin 50 yards away and calling it accurate. This guy being a Camp Perry shooter was the best review I've read. I'm going to have to get one of the PTR's, but it probably won't be a GI model when there's plenty of other models available with "Target" barrels. If/when I buy one it will be with the intent of getting every bit of accuracy out of the rifle that I can.

Thank you for the links, especially the one l copied above.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Knock yourself out. I have a GI PTR 91. It is an ungainly, awkward handling rifle. I have always owned one at one time or another. They are plenty accurate. I keep my GI around because I know it will work if I really need it. It tears the hell out of brass. I am lucky to get one reload out of it. It is probably the rifle I would grab in extremis, because I know it will function. It is not my favorite rifle for accuracy testing.

FWIW. I have competed many years at Camp Perry.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Knock yourself out. I have a GI PTR 91. It is an ungainly, awkward handling rifle. I have always owned one at one time or another. They are plenty accurate. I keep my GI around because I know it will work if I really need it. It tears the hell out of brass. I am lucky to get one reload out of it. It is probably the rifle I would grab in extremis, because I know it will function. It is not my favorite rifle for accuracy testing.

FWIW. I have competed many years at Camp Perry.

I appreciate your advice and yours reviews carry more weight with me than most because I know you're a Camp Perry guy. I appreciate the advice very much.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom