• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    PR was made a tax haven at one point which prompted lots of investment and then it was taken away, leading to lots of money leaving. There have been some shenanigans enacted by Congress over the years with regard to PR that have certainly helped screw them over.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hrm. Two more senators voting against him?

maybe that’s why the PR crowd is slamming trump so hard, hoping he’ll feel so bad he’ll work to get them statehood

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My sis lives in the USVI. When it comes to politics and local government, she says both the USVI and PR are cesspools of corruption. A year after the last hurricane, they still don't have a fully functional hospital, and are still using tents. If it wasn't a US territory, it would be a 3rd world country. Unless there is some sort of strategic importance, I'd sell 'em off to the highest bidder and let someone else deal with the headache (and debt).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...maybe that’s why the PR crowd is slamming trump so hard, hoping he’ll feel so bad he’ll work to get them statehood

I could buy that....which means they're not paying attention to how Trump operates.

But as far as I can remember, PR has always been leaning left....a hard lean.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    A year after the last hurricane, they still don't have a fully functional hospital, and are still using tents. If it wasn't a US territory, it would be a 3rd world country.

If it wasn't a U.S. territory it might be a very lowly-developed country, but some of it's current problems stem from being a territory and having to deal with all of that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My sis lives in the USVI. When it comes to politics and local government, she says both the USVI and PR are cesspools of corruption. A year after the last hurricane, they still don't have a fully functional hospital, and are still using tents. If it wasn't a US territory, it would be a 3rd world country. Unless there is some sort of strategic importance, I'd sell 'em off to the highest bidder and let someone else deal with the headache (and debt).

And the people? Do we just strip them of American citizenship, or do we simply sell the land and bring them to the mainland?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How did it work when we "acquired" the islands from the Dutch? Just do that.

We acquired PR from the Spanish. It was something we wanted, and essentially a spoil from the Spanish-American War. Nevertheless, we've extended citizenship to the people of PR, I know of no way (that I would agree with) that would unilaterally allow the federal government to strip entire populaces of American citizenship. I'm fairly confident you agree, and are simply having a "wouldn't it be nice" day dream.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Give it back to the Spanish and let THEM deal with it. Give it to the Russians. Give it to anyone, but for the love of God don't make that hot mess the 51st state.

Top Bottom