• ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Apples & oranges.

At least there is some reasonable justification for speed limits. I know you don't agree from your posts in another thread but not every law is unecessary. You need to learn to argue for eliminating the real unecessary ones instead of all of them. You do yourself a disservice when you come across as an anarchist. Most people don't want it that way & will marginalize your other valid opinions if you take such an extreme viewpoint.

If you really are an anarchist, then...no thanks.

My main issue is that many people that enforce the laws, never question them.

The other big issue I have is that it is near impossible to repeal a law once put into place. We have too many, it is nearly impossible to say you are following the law. If we need to have laws, we should aim to have the fewest possible, they should be clear and lack ambiguity. With regards to traffic laws, speed limits may be reasonable in your estimation, but the revenue generated from ticket should point out that a large section of the population feels there is no harm in traveling at such speeds that exceed posted limits.

How can the police, which you have guessed my feeling towards the power they have and the abuses they can inflict, justify their time towards efforts which do little to protect public saftey, but instead extort fund from them? I question the need for "street cops" as I see more use for police in an investigative role. As the police force grows across the country I see one of two outcomes will eventually emerge.

1. We as a society will become so disinterested in having police that we do away with them.

2. the grow to the point were one ( or a camera) is on every street corner.

IT seems absurd, but consider F.A. Hayeck and his book road to serfdom, many historical examples support the fact that democratic governments grow to tyranny in time. As police are agents the government, It would seem logical that they would grow as well, would it not? I don't pretend to have the solution, but I assure you, I have no faith in positive outcomes arising from the path we are currently following.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You need to buy a Jeep, preferably a Rubicon for the 4.10 gears, put 33 inch or larger tires on it and maybe a bit of a lift kit to catch more air underneath. Do that and you'll find yourself having to speed up to the speed limit when you see a cop with a radar gun. You'll go into a school zone, check the speedometer and realize you have to add 5 mph to get to 25. The best part is that you'll be trundling along trying to reach the speed limit and will be having a ball doing it. Also, the 11 mpg it gets will make you hate to push the gas pedal any more than is absolutely necessary.

Do this, and speeding will be a thing of the past.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Or here in a week when you get pulled over again you can just ask that cop about your driving record for free....eeerrr, welllll, minus ticket fees :)

+1 to the jeep idea...i used to have a lead foot! now i have a lead vehicle! The speed of a riding lawnmower and the aerodynamics of a brick.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You need to buy a Jeep, preferably a Rubicon for the 4.10 gears, put 33 inch or larger tires on it and maybe a bit of a lift kit to catch more air underneath. Do that and you'll find yourself having to speed up to the speed limit when you see a cop with a radar gun. You'll go into a school zone, check the speedometer and realize you have to add 5 mph to get to 25. The best part is that you'll be trundling along trying to reach the speed limit and will be having a ball doing it. Also, the 11 mpg it gets will make you hate to push the gas pedal any more than is absolutely necessary.

Do this, and speeding will be a thing of the past.

I had an 85 GMC k15 that had 1 ton suspension, 4.10s, 33 inch tractor tread mudders, and a built 350. I think it topped out at just under 60 and it rode like a dump truck unless you had it loaded down. I loved that truck but when you babied it, you would be happy seeing 8mpg and with regular driving you got 4-6mpg. Ended up having to sell it but ended up getting more than I paid for it. I miss that thing.

Top Bottom