• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My father and brother are both LEOs, one a city cop and the other a deputy sheriff. They have both told me that if you are carrying when pulled over it is always best to be honest and upfront if you are carrying a loaded firearm.

They explained to me, that a lot of the newer LEOs have been trianed to be very cautious during traffic stops. If during a routine stop and officer noticed your weapon, and you did not notify the officer, that might be considered probable cause,to do more like search your car and generally cause you more trouble.

That is just opinions from a couple LEOs that I know and definitley trust. I do understand that all situations will be different and not all will end well. There is also a good chance that if you were stopped and did not notify the officer of your weapon that nothing will be noticed and therefore no problems.

Just my two cents.
    BS on the probable cause. State law doesn't require a person to notify.

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    Did not say anything about the law. I was only trying to share the viewpoints from a couple LEOs that I am related to.

IMO, telling the officer will eventually lead to less trouble then not telling.

Best way to avoid a problem would be to not get pulled over!

:):

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Did you also inform him you have a cell phone, shoes, raisinetes, or any other inanimate objects that had nothing to do with speeding?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Did not say anything about the law. I was only trying to share the viewpoints from a couple LEOs that I am related to.

Less trouble not telling??????:rolleyes: How could you get in trouble for carrying lawfully? Go ahead and try and get me in trouble for exercising my God given rights, all you'll get is a smirk and a complaint filed with the chief the next day. Perhaps some (SOME, NOT ALL, SOME) LEOs should stop treating people like criminals for doing nothing illegal.
    If the stop concerns a moving violation, either write a ticket or give a warning and everyone goes on their way.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    @ # 24

Absolutely appropriate. If any LEO needs to be de-opinionated, it will be in court, for using their opinions to try to trump Indiana Codes. I have a right to go home safely at the end of his shift also. EBG

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Welcome to INGO, an enjoy reading an learning. You will find out that alot of trouble has happened to those that were honest an legal when telling LEO's they had a firearm. Share this site with your LEO relatives so they can learn too.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have been stopped a couple of times in the last ten years. Both times I told them I was carrying. Either had a problem with it and only told me to keep it were it was.

While I may not have to tell them, I would rather be honest with them and let them know up front.

We do not have to tell them up front, that is our right. But I always found being honest works best with me. I get the respect they give me.

Then I am a older guy that most would think I am not a problem. If I was a problem they would have never made it to the car.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I've read that in some states you are required to inform LEO immediately when stopped. Not sure exactly how true it was but just putting it out there to be cautious if traveling out of state under CC reciprocity as to the local 'law of the land' in this respect. Who knows what whack-o local laws you might be breaking.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I've read that in some states you are required to inform LEO immediately when stopped. Not sure exactly how true it was but just putting it out there to be cautious if traveling out of state under CC reciprocity as to the local 'law of the land' in this respect. Who knows what whack-o local laws you might be breaking.
    Yes some states you absolutely have to. For instance if you have a permit/license that is honored by Ohio, you must immediately inform the officer at the moment you are contacted by him, regardless of why they are making contact with you. You also have to inform in Michigan, they honor our LTCH. Most states you do not, but it is your responsibility to know the laws of the states you are traveling in.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have been stopped a couple of times in the last ten years. Both times I told them I was carrying. Either had a problem with it and only told me to keep it were it was.

While I may not have to tell them, I would rather be honest with them and let them know up front.

We do not have to tell them up front, that is our right. But I always found being honest works best with me. I get the respect they give me.

Then I am a older guy that most would think I am not a problem. If I was a problem they would have never made it to the car.
    How exactly is it dishonest to not inform? Even if they ask, you don't have to inform. That does not mean you have to lie...I have seen this response mentioned on INGO many times: "I have nothing illegal." Simple and to the point, no lying involved.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Did you also inform him you have a cell phone, shoes, raisinetes, or any other inanimate objects that had nothing to do with speeding?

Goon, did you read the op??? He said his ID was right next to gun!

I agree that I would not mention my carry weapons if it's not necessary, but if there is a good chance the officer is going to be able to see a gun or have me get out of my vehicle, I would also let him (or her) know!

Greg stated above,that his gun was in his shoulder holster, right next to his ID!
    I would much rather inform the officer, rather than have his weapon in my face!

You???:dunno:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Goon, did you read the op??? He said his ID was right next to gun!

I agree that I would not mention my carry weapons if it's not necessary, but if there is a good chance the officer is going to be able to see a gun or have me get out of my vehicle, I would also let him (or her) know!

Greg stated above,that his gun was in his shoulder holster, right next to his ID!
    I would much rather inform the officer, rather than have his weapon in my face!

You???:dunno:
    Yea I read it, says his ID was in his T-shirt pocket, and he had a shoulder rig. Unless he throws open his cover garment how could the weapon become visible? It's his choice to inform. I am simply asking if he felt the need to inform the officer of every possession in his car or on his person, not trying to sound like a jerk (even though I probably am) I just don't see the point of informing when you know you aren't going to touch the gun and the gun in out of sight.
    And informing may very well end with a weapon in your face especially if the officer is one who is anti, or very edgy.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I think it's kind of interesting that this is considered remarkable enough to post as a thread. The man was just doing his job.
    No offense. I just mean isn't this how he's supposed to act in this free country?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yea I read it, says his ID was in his T-shirt pocket, and he had a shoulder rig. Unless he throws open his cover garment how could the weapon become visible? It's his choice to inform. I am simply asking if he felt the need to inform the officer of every possession in his car or on his person, not trying to sound like a jerk (even though I probably am) I just don't see the point of informing when you know you aren't going to touch the gun and the gun in out of sight.
    And informing may very well end with a weapon in your face especially if the officer is one who is anti, or very edgy.

How could his weapon become visible? Pretty easily, I assume! His ID was inches from his gun!! I can assure you that while you are reaching into your jacket, you can bet the officer is watching your hands very closely!!!Your right it is HIS choice whether to inform or not, so why the rediculous question(?) about other things in his possession? Your also right, your question did make you sound like a jerk (your words!). I'd say not informing, and the officer seeing your weapon would be way more likely to result in a possibly bad situation than being polite, respectful, and letting the officer know when your hand is going to be an inch from your gun! Especially, like you said, "if the officer is one who is anti, or very edgy." now do you see the "point"?

If you notice, almost every time someone on here tells a similar story, they usually end up getting away without a ticket. Just an observation!

On a personal note, I'm glad Old Greg chooses to act as he does, since he is very often occompanied by my daughter! Good job Greg!:rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    i always tell the cops up front. this happened three times. twice I told them I have pistols in a locked case in the trunk. Then when they wanted to see paperwork which i also had in the trunk, they wouldn't let me get it for them, and then gave me a ticket for not producing the paperwork. so I keep that stuff in the glove box now, even though that's the first place a car theif would look for your registration. The other time, I had a pistol in the storage bin between the front seats, unloaded, which I was honest about when they asked the question, and so they made me stand outside in the cold and wouldn't let me put my hands in my pockets. I will still be honest again in the future though.

I do have a carry permit which I always have on hand to show them by the way.
    [STRIKE]
    What State are you in? :dunno:

Indiana doesnt have gun registration, so what kind of "ticket" would you get for not producing "papers"?[/STRIKE]

In the other incident, did you give them permission to enter your vehicle, or did they demand it? If they demanded it, lawyer up, your rights were violated..

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    What State are you in? :dunno:

Indiana doesnt have gun registration, so what kind of "ticket" would you get for not producing "papers"?

In the other incident, did you give them permission to enter your vehicle, or did they demand it? If they demanded it, lawyer up, your rights were violated..

I'm not certain, but by "paperwork" I think he was talking about the vehicle registration.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think it's kind of interesting that this is considered remarkable enough to post as a thread. The man was just doing his job.
    No offense. I just mean isn't this how he's supposed to act in this free country?

Since when is something required to be considered "remarkable" for someone to create a thread? I've seen much less interesting topics on here than this one! At least this does pertain to our shared interest!!! And obviously, it was interesting enough for you to comment on it!:dunno:

No offense intended by me either!:)

Can you please clarify your last sentence? How is WHO supposed to act? In this "free country"???

Lastly, + a bunch to the officer for being professional and polite back to the o.p.!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom