• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Mainly respect and to prevent any problems in the event in the officer is badge heavy, runs my license, and realizes I didn't inform him I may be carrying. And my wallet was next to my gun so again it was mainly a respect thing.

Good point. I would likely do the same, out of respect and, on the off chance he saw it while reaching for my wallet, and thought I was reaching for the pistol.

I try to keep my wallet and carry far enough apart that this wouldn't be an issue, but it isn't always possible.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think it's kind of interesting that this is considered remarkable enough to post as a thread. The man was just doing his job.
    No offense. I just mean isn't this how he's supposed to act in this free country?

It's considered remarkable, IMO, because of how many stories we have heard of a gun owner getting pulled over and the Officer NOT being polite, NOT following the law, and violating the driver's rights.

I saw the OP's post as a "kudo" to a LEO that did it right..

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's considered remarkable, IMO, because of how many stories we have heard of a gun owner getting pulled over and the Officer NOT being polite, NOT following the law, and violating the driver's rights.

I saw the OP's post as a "kudo" to a LEO that did it right..

Exactly!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I haven't been pulled over for anything for over 35 years but even if I am some day again in Indiana I will inform. I travel thru too many other states to try to remember which ones I have to inform in. So I might as well get in the groove.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    i always tell the cops up front. this happened three times. twice I told them I have pistols in a locked case in the trunk. Then when they wanted to see paperwork which i also had in the trunk, they wouldn't let me get it for them, and then gave me a ticket for not producing the paperwork. so I keep that stuff in the glove box now, even though that's the first place a car theif would look for your registration. The other time, I had a pistol in the storage bin between the front seats, unloaded, which I was honest about when they asked the question, and so they made me stand outside in the cold and wouldn't let me put my hands in my pockets. I will still be honest again in the future though.

I do have a carry permit which I always have on hand to show them by the way.

Paperwork??? What paperwork? The paperwork that shows yo bought the gun? The paperwork that shows you have an LTCH? Why would they ask, why would you even have that? And why would you have ANY paperwork in the trunk? And why would they write you a ticket for not having proper paperwork? Somethings not 'jiving' with your story.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Paperwork??? What paperwork? The paperwork that shows yo bought the gun? The paperwork that shows you have an LTCH? Why would they ask, why would you even have that? And why would you have ANY paperwork in the trunk? And why would they write you a ticket for not having proper paperwork? Somethings not 'jiving' with your story.

"Paperwork" = vehicle registration.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    There's a map for that...

CCW%20must%20inform%20states.jpg

Official Contact = When asked for identification.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    I've thought about this type of scenario many times, so far I haven't had to worry about it. I've definitely tried to think it through, though, and decide what I would/will do. I THINK I would probably let him know as a courtesy. The job they do is a tough one, sometimes, the kind of people they come in contact with daily would probably be eye opening, and a lot of the CO's, State and County guys have these contacts in rural settings, alone. That being said, if I was a LEO I would appreciate a guy telling me "hey I've got a LTCH and am carrying". I think it would put me at ease.

Obviously it's a personal decision, and either way is well within your rights. :twocents:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I've thought about this type of scenario many times, so far I haven't had to worry about it. I've definitely tried to think it through, though, and decide what I would/will do. I THINK I would probably let him know as a courtesy. The job they do is a tough one, sometimes, the kind of people they come in contact with daily would probably be eye opening, and a lot of the CO's, State and County guys have these contacts in rural settings, alone. That being said, if I was a LEO I would appreciate a guy telling me "hey I've got a LTCH and am carrying". I think it would put me at ease.

Obviously it's a personal decision, and either way is well within your rights. :twocents:

I feel it would only make their job tougher. What if the cop is a douche and hates people that carry? Now they are totally on edge for no reason. If they want to know they'll ask, especially now that our LTCH is tied to our DLs. If you want to tell them then, then go ahead.
    Really only 2 things can happen after informing:
    1. Cop doesn't care, says, "Ok, just leave it where it is." Or maybe even talks to you about guns...either way nothing bad has happened.
    2. LEO doesn't like you having a firearm and decides he wants to take control of your property and disarms you to run the SN or whatever reason they want to concoct. Now your firearm is out of its holster, a place where it is safest to keep a firearm, and has become a factor in the traffic stop. Maybe he even scolds you for wanting to defend yourself because he believes only police should carry guns...

And here is what happens when you don't inform:
    ..............NOTHING......the gun doesn't come into play because you know you aren't going to touch it, and the officer doesn't need to know about it because it is none of their business while conducting a traffic stop. I just do not see the logic of wanting to tell the officer you have a gun, does not make sense to me.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    only 2 things can happen after informing:
    1. Cop doesn't care, says, "Ok, just leave it where it is." Or maybe even talks to you about guns...either way nothing bad has happened.
    2. LEO doesn't like you having a firearm and decides he wants to take control of your property and disarms you to run the SN or whatever reason they want to concoct. Now your firearm is out of its holster, a place where it is safest to keep a firearm, and has become a factor in the traffic stop. Maybe he even scolds you for wanting to defend yourself because he believes only police should carry guns...

..............NOTHING...... does not make sense to me.

You forgot #3: He decides to disarm me, I refuse, telling him I know Indiana Code, & I know that there are only two scenarios where he is allowed by law to disarm me without my permission; If he has reason to believe I have committed a crime, or if he can swear that he saw me as a danger to his safety.

If he was a LEO of the type listed in #2 above, my day will go down hill rapidly from that point, likely ending with a jackboot on my neck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    While driving home from the grocery store, I was pulled over for speeding (always forget about those 25 mph zones). This is the first time I've been pulled over while carrying. The officer (Southport PD) approached the car and asked for license and registration. I informed him I am licensed to carry and currently carrying in a shoulder holster ( which was extremely close to my wallet in my TShirt pocket). He told me that's fine and proceeded with his check of the documentation without any further prodding about my weapon. After returning from his car, he informed me that honesty goes a long way with him and he would not be writing me a ticket. Just thought I'd share this positive experience and thank the officer (name unknown) for being a good guy. :rockwoot:

I think this great. The way it should work really. Ticket or no ticket that is irrelevant. But I think it would be good if all interactions went this way.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've never been pulled over while carrying but will inform only if I need to be fiddling around the firearm. If it won't come into play, they don't need to know. If it's by wallet, I'll tell them.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    I feel it would only make their job tougher. What if the cop is a douche and hates people that carry? Now they are totally on edge for no reason. If they want to know they'll ask, especially now that our LTCH is tied to our DLs. If you want to tell them then, then go ahead.
    Really only 2 things can happen after informing:

..............NOTHING......the gun doesn't come into play because you know you aren't going to touch it, and the officer doesn't need to know about it because it is none of their business while conducting a traffic stop. I just do not see the logic of wanting to tell the officer you have a gun, does not make sense to me.

Understand where you're coming from. I'm not saying I would be "wanting" to tell him I have a gun, I'm just saying that me having a gun is a reality and not something I'm secretive about, or necessarily want to hide. Maybe I'm naive and will learn a lesson if/when I'm ever pulled over? As for right now I'm not settled on how I would handle it, it will probably be a decision I make on the spot.:dunno:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Understand where you're coming from. I'm not saying I would be "wanting" to tell him I have a gun, I'm just saying that me having a gun is a reality and not something I'm secretive about, or necessarily want to hide. Maybe I'm naive and will learn a lesson if/when I'm ever pulled over? As for right now I'm not settled on how I would handle it, it will probably be a decision I make on the spot.:dunno:
    I probably felt the same way at some point in time, until I heard the stories of police overreacting and acting completely inappropriate at times. I have been pulled over 3 times. Each time there was really no time to inform the officer even if I wanted to, I would have had to go out of my way to inform him. All they wanted was my license and reg and then walked back to their car, no other words were spoken other than "Do you have your license?"..."You need to slow down sir."

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I absolutely agree. In the past I have simply handed the officer my pink slip when I gave them my drivers license. Nothing has ever been said other then asking if I was a rmed. So I have always encouraged people to inform. However, recently I have been associating with more LEOs, one of which is a very close friend. They tell me they disarm everyone, run numbers, etc. Very smug and arrogant about it. Like it has been said it is really about respect. If people who I love and consider closest to me can act like that how will other Leos react

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    ...Each time there was really no time to inform the officer even if I wanted to, I would have had to go out of my way to inform him. All they wanted was my license and reg and then walked back to their car, no other words were spoken other than "Do you have your license?"..."You need to slow down sir."

Yea in that case I'm with you. I'm definitely not volunteering anymore than I need to if this is how it goes down. And, too, I haven't had any "bad" experiences with carrying so far, so a couple of those might change my thinking all together!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I probably felt the same way at some point in time, until I heard the stories of police overreacting and acting completely inappropriate at times. I have been pulled over 3 times. Each time there was really no time to inform the officer even if I wanted to, I would have had to go out of my way to inform him. All they wanted was my license and reg and then walked back to their car, no other words were spoken other than "Do you have your license?"..."You need to slow down sir."

:bs:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pulled over plenty. Just saying there had to be more said than that.

No time??? Go out of your way?? Please explain.

And I'll go back to my original statement that if there is a good chance that the officer is going to see my weapon, especially if my hand will be an inch or so from that weapon, that he or she will be informed! If there isn't that chance, then no reason to inform!

Top Bottom