• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Is there a particular brand or model of pump shotgun that you believe is less reliable or is prone to problems you wish to avoid?

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pump Shotguns

Just a personel preference but I stay away from the chinese made shotguns.
    With that said I keep looking at Norincos copy of the Winchester 97, if nothing else the wood looks good on them.

Last edited:

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Mossberg, especially the 500, but they are more affordable. I've had two break on me, once a trigger guard that broke off the trigger too, while shooting out of a rest. This required a whole new trigger assembly. The other I can't remember what happened to it, but I fixed it. Mossberg is just a cheaper made gun, I'm sure many others will say that mossbergs are great, but I've never had a problem with any other kind of pump and I've owned them all.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Rem 870 is really one of the best ,Mossbergs actually have better control placement . I really wouldnt trust my life with any of the chinese rem 870 copies. I havent heard anything good or bad about the Rock Island offering yet .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have seen functioning problems with Mossberg (including the Maverick brand) and the newer Winchester models (especially the 1300, we had them break on the shelf at Galyan's). I have seen one Benelli Nova break in a class too.

I would stick with a proven design, Remington 870 or the Smith & Wesson 3000.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Don't buy into all the hate on the Mossberg or Remington or Winchester shotguns. There are thousands and probably hundreds of thousands or the Remington and Mossberg shotguns that have been produced. You never know how someone you see at the range or in the field takes care of their equipment and keeps things taken care of.

Mossberg 500 and 590 models are both great as well as the Remington 870 in any form. Also, like others have mentioned....buy the American brands when it comes to quality shotguns for a good price. If you want to spend bigger money then Benelli and Beretta are nice but for sub $400 you will be great with any 500 or 870. Good Luck!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anybody know about the older utility grade shotguns? Stevens 67 or Noble?

The issues with these will be finding replacement parts should you need any.

It can also be tedious to determine which other makes' parts will fit your shotgun, as a good many of these department-store-type shotguns are licensed copies or copies of copies and just branded differently.

For me, personally, I'd not expect a NEF brand to last me a lifetime of shooting or even hard-use for two-weeks a year (for several years) worth of various hunting.

Then again, there are plenty of these old Stevens / Sears / you name it department store shotguns still functioning just fine.

If I were you, I'd try and hit up pawn shops and garage sales looking for an 870 or Mossberg 500.

-J-

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500. It has had more rounds than i can count put through it. I have since moved up and bought many other shotguns but i still get it out often. I have loaned it to many people to go out to the range or first time hunters who did not want to invest in a gun at the time. I love this gun. Not because it is the best gun on the market, because it is not. But because it has lasted so long and been able to be enjoyed by so many people and keeps preforming, time after time. It is a great first shotgun. if you do buy one new it is a cheap combo for both a rifled and shot barrrel.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Anybody know about the older utility grade shotguns? Stevens 67 or Noble?

I have an old Noble 20 gauge pump that I bought for $40.00 when I was a kid. Delmar, you might remember the dealer. It was John Hites in Elkhart. While I have killed my share of rabbits over the years, I would not trust my life with it. For one thing the barrell is bent. I know how do you get a bent barrel? It was only $40.00. I would stay away from the Nobles.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have an old Noble 20 gauge pump that I bought for $40.00 when I was a kid. Delmar, you might remember the dealer. It was John Hites in Elkhart. While I have killed my share of rabbits over the years, I would not trust my life with it. For one thing the barrell is bent. I know how do you get a bent barrel? It was only $40.00. I would stay away from the Nobles.
    I don't think your supposed to use a shotgun barrel for a pry bar :D

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    My 2 cent. Ranked 1 to 10
    1. For just a solid performer you can't beat an 870.
    2. Mossberg and Win. they're just not as solid as an 870.
    3. In used look for an Ithica 37 many of the older Stevens and Savages are good performers but part and accessories can be a problem to find.

10. Anything Chinese, Buyer beware.

........:@ya:..........Duce<><

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    OP, while I disagree with the people saying an 870 any better than the 500 I will say one thing as far as something to avoid.

If you are planning to put a pistol grip on your shotgun then I would not get a mossberg due to the safety location. I prefer the safety and slide release in a stock format but not with a pistol grip:twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I grew up with a Remington 870 Express. I've never had problems with mine, and my dad has never had problems with his. A goooood cleaning once every 10 years is good enough.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Delmar, I would second the buyer beware when looking at the Chinese copies... besides for the money the brand name shottys can be had for a reasonable amount of cash.. new or used...

The 870 is a solid performer and a bit heavier than the 500 because of the steel versus alloy receiver. The 870's have a solid elevator so they will cycle the shorter shells if need be. The 870 is probably a better option for a pistol grip stock option as the safety position is in the trigger guard versus the mossy on top of the receiver. The 870 has been around long enough to make parts, barrels, and used models widely available and shouldn't break the bank to obtain.

The Mossy 500 as I stated earlier is less weight because of the alloy receiver and better used with a sporting style stock rather than a pistol grip style one because of the safety position. The Mossy is also alittle more difficult to do slug drills with than the 870 and the elevator on the mossy's are completely open on the bottom making the use of shorter shells a bit hard to cycle through it. Otherwise it's all the shotty you can handle and I believe just as reliable as the 870. The other little item on the 500 is the in-ability to add a mag tube extension which you can do on most of the other pump shotty's out there.

Ditto on the 590 but it's a bit more than the 500's generally and you can add to the mag tube...

The maverick's are just mossy 500's with a better safety position as they normally have the safety on the trigger guard... ala 870 style. They have the rest of the 500 characteristics...

The Benelli's Nova and Super Nova are very nice performers and have the standard option of using 3.5 inch shells added to the ability to handle all the other smaller shell length's. The Nova has the sporting stock style, but the Super has the option to change out the stock for a tacticool pistol grip configuration... Can't do that to the standard Nova.. Also the Nova's have a handy button on the stock that keeps the next shell from loading into the elevator when you slide the pump back... which allows you too save ammo and load a slug when needed... The Nova's are really light weight and you can feel the recoil readily... but you can heff that thing all day without much notice...

The Ithaca 37's were really reliable and kind of cool the way they feed shells from the bottom loading port and send the empties out the same location... Their getting a little scarce to find these days though for a low price... New ones are around though. They also have the ability to keep the trigger pulled and as you cycle the action of the pump on them it will fire the shell as it closes on the chamber, making it a quick to unload shotty... for a pump that is...

The Browning A5's can be picky about ammo, as most auto's can be...

There's a whole slough of other manufacturers out there but you will find them hard to find parts for and un friendly too the ability to change out barrel, etc...

Now you ask, how do I know this stuff, well everything in this list I own or have owned and put as much ammo as I could through....

You know me if you want to try one of these out come out to the next INGO meet and shoot in March and bring some 12 guage ammo and shoot to your hearts content...

I'll also have the Saiga 12 out again....

Top Bottom